What's new

2020 Presidential election

Because saying neither the Sandanistas nor the Contras were worthy of my loyalty makes me a Contra? Hmmmm.

Well, I have my doubts you were actually a Contra at any point in time, but to at least my eye one of those sides was notably less worthy of it than the other. And then's it's one of those ol' "Neutrality helps the oppressor" situations.

I liked Warren as a candidate (my initial hope before this all started was her to work with Bernie and have him get behind her for the primary), but it was time for her to step out of this one.

Extremely solid point ..

. “We had years where people were saying a couple hundred thousand dollars and barely literate Facebook ads from Russians caused Donald Trump to win. Here you had a guy spend nearly $1 billion and he went nowhere. It’s a humiliating defeat for Michael Bloomberg.”

“That is a great point,” the Fox host chimed in. “So, Russians influenced the election with $200,000, $300,000 in Facebook ads.”

ESXJbnMWAAEVLHf

Well, I have my doubts you were actually a Contra at any point in time, but to at least my eye one of those sides was notably less worthy of it than the other. And then's it's one of those ol' "Neutrality helps the oppressor" situations.

I don't think my support or lack thereof offers any sort of help or hurt to factions in Latin America.

While the Contras were far and away worse, both sides engaged in oppression. How does taking the side of one oppressor help the oppressed?

Extremely solid point ..

. “We had years where people were saying a couple hundred thousand dollars and barely literate Facebook ads from Russians caused Donald Trump to win. Here you had a guy spend nearly $1 billion and he went nowhere. It’s a humiliating defeat for Michael Bloomberg.”

“That is a great point,” the Fox host chimed in. “So, Russians influenced the election with $200,000, $300,000 in Facebook ads.”

Exactly. It's almost like close elections are more susceptible to outside influence.

I don't think my support or lack thereof offers any sort of help or hurt to factions in Latin America.

While the Contras were far and away worse, both sides engaged in oppression. How does taking the side of one oppressor help the oppressed?

Your support/not support almost assuredly didn't materially change Latin America, agreed there (mine either for that matter). I think that would apply to most of the topics we discuss on this board, we're just a couple of folks exchanging ideas for our own sake (I find it beneficial and I hope others do as well).

Seems like another in a long line of 'lesser-evil' or trolley-problem type questions. And personally I'm pretty comfortable picking the 'lesser' in such situations, I can understand why someone thinking the Contras/Sandinistas were comparable and thus not want to choose, but I'm a bit surprised if you say that the Contras were far and away worse, you're not comfortable with a lesser-evilist approach taking the Sandinistas 'side' (through the very distant action of voicing moderate 'support' on a Jazz internet board of all things).

Anywho, One Brow, I enjoy discussing topics with you and I thought you should know that :)

Exactly. It's almost like close elections are more susceptible to outside influence.
Trump absolutely crushed Hillary. There's absolutely nothing close about it. The entire Democratic nominee class was for anybody's taking and Bloomberg couldn't influence anything with a half of billion dollars, paid FB adds, and false Twitter and FB accounts. So I'm not sure what point you're making...

Lol but Democrats think Russia helped Trump win 2200+ counties in America.

Your support/not support almost assuredly didn't materially change Latin America, agreed there (mine either for that matter). I think that would apply to most of the topics we discuss on this board, we're just a couple of folks exchanging ideas for our own sake (I find it beneficial and I hope others do as well).

Seems like another in a long line of 'lesser-evil' or trolley-problem type questions. And personally I'm pretty comfortable picking the 'lesser' in such situations, I can understand why someone thinking the Contras/Sandinistas were comparable and thus not want to choose, but I'm a bit surprised if you say that the Contras were far and away worse, you're not comfortable with a lesser-evilist approach taking the Sandinistas 'side' (through the very distant action of voicing moderate 'support' on a Jazz internet board of all things).

Anywho, One Brow, I enjoy discussing topics with you and I thought you should know that :)

Thank you.

I would agree there are definitely times where choosing a lesser evil is appropriate. I'll be voting for Sanders in the primary, and consider Biden more of a hindrance than a help to creating a better society, but I will absolutely vote for Biden over Trump, should I face that choice. No problem there.

On the other hand, while I consider Richard Dawkins to be a better person to read/learn from than Billy Graham, he won't be getting a single dollar from me in royalties, because being better than Billy Graham is not enough. I can do better still. It's not that Dawkins and Graham are comparable, it's that neither meet a minimum standard.

There's also the question of historical differences. When you look at Sandanistas vs. Contras, you are looking at the timeline of the 1980s and early 90s, not who they were in the 2000s or early 2010s (although many of their recent activities are oppressive, as well). The Contras are worse than the Sandinistas, but neither meet a minimum standard, and if I were to vote in an election between the Sandinistas and the modern-day equivalent of the UNO, I'd likely choose a third party.

Trump absolutely crushed Hillary. There's absolutely nothing close about it. The entire Democratic nominee class was for anybody's taking and Bloomberg couldn't influence anything with a half of billion dollars, paid FB adds, and false Twitter and FB accounts. So I'm not sure what point you're making...

He beat her, but several of the states were close.

Trump absolutely crushed Hillary. There's absolutely nothing close about it.

The difference in 3 key states was a grand total of 80,000 votes in favor of Trump, out of 13,000,000 just in those states. Less than a 1% difference is "crushed"?

The entire Democratic nominee class was for anybody's taking ...

Never.

and Bloomberg couldn't influence anything with a half of billion dollars, paid FB adds, and false Twitter and FB accounts. So I'm not sure what point you're making...

Bllomberg never had a chance.

Nope, just three states.

Not because of Russia, but because some of the states were close races. It wasn't a blow-out.
I would consider Trump winning 2000+ to lmore counties a blowout. You look at an electorial map and it's absolutely 100% clear who a majority of the country chose outside of Cali and NY.