What's new

2021-2022 College Football Board (Utes, Cougars, and Aggies)

I really HATE saying this, but I really can’t fathom Utah beating BYU 10 straight times.

For perspective, when BYU was absolutely dominant in the Lavell era, if I’m not mistaken, they never beat Utah 10 straight times. The streak would get to 9 and then an inferior Utah team would rise up and win one. There was a much bigger gap in talent between the two teams back then and it was still hard for BYU to win 10 straight.

I think Saturday night is gonna be a damn dog fight.
I think it will be a good game like always but i would certainly pick the Utes to win saturday. They have extra preparation time and they are the much healthier team plus they were likely the better team to begin with before those two added advantages. (fwiw I dont think the extra prep time matters much but the injuries do.)
Hoping that some of the guys held out of the Arizona game were simply held out so that they would be sure to be ready for the utes. Like BYU figured that those weren't needed against Arizona or something. If they are actually hurt and still cant play this saturday then you add the multiple injuries to starters that happened in game against AZ and it is looking pretty dire for BYU. Hopefully the Nacua brothers will play. Hopefully Tooley (starting linebacker) will play. Hopefully the all american candidate kicker will play (jake oldroyd). I know that gunner romney (perhaps byu's best receiver) wont play. I know that one of their starting corners that got hurt at the beginning of the AZ game wont play (Ellis).
Also saw that BYU offensive MVP from last saturday (Neil Pau) is wearing a walking boot on his foot and has a bum ankle apparently (saw him limping in the game)

I think Saturday night is gonna be a damn dog fight.
UoUvsBYU.jpg

I think it will be a good game like always but i would certainly pick the Utes to win saturday. They have extra preparation time and they are the much healthier team plus they were likely the better team to begin with before those two added advantages. (fwiw I dont think the extra prep time matters much but the injuries do.)
Hoping that some of the guys held out of the Arizona game were simply held out so that they would be sure to be ready for the utes. Like BYU figured that those weren't needed against Arizona or something. If they are actually hurt and still cant play this saturday then you add the multiple injuries to starters that happened in game against AZ and it is looking pretty dire for BYU. Hopefully the Nacua brothers will play. Hopefully Tooley (starting linebacker) will play. Hopefully the all american candidate kicker will play (jake oldroyd). I know that gunner romney (perhaps byu's best receiver) wont play. I know that one of their starting corners that got hurt at the beginning of the AZ game wont play (Ellis).
Also saw that BYU offensive MVP from last saturday (Neil Pau) is wearing a walking boot on his foot and has a bum ankle apparently (saw him limping in the game)
All of this is spot on. I expect to see both Nacua brothers and your LB on Saturday. I think BYU could have played everybody vs Zona and blew their doors off, but they didn’t need to. No sense showing your hand the week before the rivalry.

If Utah does manage to win #10, I think it will be due to Charlie Brewer. In fact, I think Utah has finally made MAJOR strides in the QB department that aren’t getting talked about enough. Just a few years ago, Jason Shelley led Utah to a rivalry win. After that, he transferred to Utah State, flamed out, and is now at an FCS school. Early on in the PAC 12 years, Utah was dependent on Jr. College transfers and 2 star recruits to play QB. During fall camp this year, they had 3 4 star QB’s and Charlie Brewer taking reps. Cam Rising looks good to go behind Brewer and the 4 Star Freshman Costelli might end up being the best of the bunch when his time comes.

With Whitt, you ALWAYS know that there will be a top notch Defense and Running game every season. It’s as constant as the sun rising in the east. If Utah has FINALLY figured out how to successfully recruit and develop QB’s, we could be in for some next level ****.

All of this is spot on. I expect to see both Nacua brothers and your LB on Saturday. I think BYU could have played everybody vs Zona and blew their doors off, but they didn’t need to. No sense showing your hand the week before the rivalry.

If Utah does manage to win #10, I think it will be due to Charlie Brewer. In fact, I think Utah has finally made MAJOR strides in the QB department that aren’t getting talked about enough. Just a few years ago, Jason Shelley led Utah to a rivalry win. After that, he transferred to Utah State, flamed out, and is now at an FCS school. Early on in the PAC 12 years, Utah was dependent on Jr. College transfers and 2 star recruits to play QB. During fall camp this year, they had 3 4 star QB’s and Charlie Brewer taking reps. Cam Rising looks good to go behind Brewer and the 4 Star Freshman Costelli might end up being the best of the bunch when his time comes.

With Whitt, you ALWAYS know that there will be a top notch Defense and Running game every season. It’s as constant as the sun rising in the east. If Utah has FINALLY figured out how to successfully recruit and develop QB’s, we could be in for some next level ****.
Agreed. I think both nacuas, cooley (the LB), pau, and even the kicker (oldroyd) will all play. And I think that Charlie Brewer is legit and definitely the best QB in this game.
The only real edge I can give BYU is in special teams. Their kicker and punter both might end up all americans. Utah has the better QB, better O-line, better tight end (right now anyway. I think BYU has a tight end that will be better than kuithe at some point) better D-line and probably better secondary (especially after the injury in the arizona game.). As a group byu might have better linebackers but utah has the best linebacker. I dont know enough about utahs wide receivers and BYU does have a really good group so maybe BYU has the advantage there. I think byu running back (algier) is the best on either team but I dont really know utahs running backs and I could be wrong. (if the utes had their running back from last year then this wouldn't be a discussion).
Utes get the coaching edge as always ever since Urban.

Agreed. I think both nacuas, cooley (the LB), pau, and even the kicker (oldroyd) will all play. And I think that Charlie Brewer is legit and definitely the best QB in this game.
The only real edge I can give BYU is in special teams. Their kicker and punter both might end up all americans. Utah has the better QB, better O-line, better tight end (right now anyway. I think BYU has a tight end that will be better than kuithe at some point) better D-line and probably better secondary (especially after the injury in the arizona game.). As a group byu might have better linebackers but utah has the best linebacker. I dont know enough about utahs wide receivers and BYU does have a really good group so maybe BYU has the advantage there. I think byu running back (algier) is the best on either team but I dont really know utahs running backs and I could be wrong. (if the utes had their running back from last year then this wouldn't be a discussion).
Utes get the coaching edge as always ever since Urban.
It’s too bad Romney got hurt because if he was playing alongside the Nacua’s and Pau, I’d actually give the WR edge to BYU. Utah’s LB’s are good as a whole and I think Devin Lloyd will be the best player off either squad on Saturday night. I was pleasantly stunned when he decided to return this year and I think by season’s end, he’ll be a lock as a 1st round draft pick. Maybe even in the top 10-15 range. The dude is unreal. Usually I think BYU is either even with Utah or slightly better at TE but the Utes probably have their best unit ever this year. There’s questions on the O-line though as to who’s healthy and will actually be playing. Weber got damn good pressure on Brewer last week and if Utah gives the same type of effort, BYU can exploit that much more than Weber was able to.

It’s too bad Romney got hurt because if he was playing alongside the Nacua’s and Pau, I’d actually give the WR edge to BYU. Utah’s LB’s are good as a whole and I think Devin Lloyd will be the best player off either squad on Saturday night. I was pleasantly stunned when he decided to return this year and I think by season’s end, he’ll be a lock as a 1st round draft pick. Maybe even in the top 10-15 range. The dude is unreal. Usually I think BYU is either even with Utah or slightly better at TE but the Utes probably have their best unit ever this year. There’s questions on the O-line though as to who’s healthy and will actually be playing. Weber got damn good pressure on Brewer last week and if Utah gives the same type of effort, BYU can exploit that much more than Weber was able to.

It’ll be interesting to see if BYU’s d coordinator actually tries to put pressure on the QB. I’m so sick of seeing vanilla defenses I could vomit. Seeing what Weber was able to do, I’d hope that the Y goes after him, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

It’ll be interesting to see if BYU’s d coordinator actually tries to put pressure on the QB. I’m so sick of seeing vanilla defenses I could vomit. Seeing what Weber was able to do, I’d hope that the Y goes after him, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
I’ve always wondered why Tuiaki keeps it so vanilla. Sitake spent so much time under Kyle and never seemed to hesitate dialing up exotic pressures when he was Utah’s D coordinator that I just always figured we’d see the same philosophy once he took the BYU job.

Hey Fish, I full on believe that your team held out those starters you mentioned (WR's and LB), as well as did not use/target their TE's against AZ with the sole intention of not giving Utah usable film or well a true game plan to go off of when watching that game. It may or may not be true but that is my opinion, which I do not watch or pay attention to your team so I did not know that until I turned to check the score and see how Samson Nacua was doing (he's way too likeable to still not cheer for) only to find out he and those other starters were not playing.

You can also disagree with me about this next part BUT as far as reasoning; there really was no reason to treat the AZ game as anything but a warm up game for your team. There is no downside if they lost (would be different if they thought they had a realistic chance of going undefeated) as it does not change their season outcome or bowl game and if they did lose it gets the team fired up and potentially gives Utah a false sense of security. To me Utah is your team's biggest game of the season (especially due to the current 9 game streak) and planned accordingly to try and give themselves as much an advantage (perceived or otherwise) in anyway, no matter how minuscule, as possible as they could.

Hey Fish, I full on believe that your team held out those starters you mentioned (WR's and LB), as well as did not use/target their TE's against AZ with the sole intention of not giving Utah usable film or well a true game plan to go off of when watching that game. It may or may not be true but that is my opinion, which I do not watch or pay attention to your team so I did not know that until I turned to check the score and see how Samson Nacua was doing (he's way too likeable to still not cheer for) only to find out he and those other starters were not playing.

You can also disagree with me about this next part BUT as far as reasoning; there really was no reason to treat the AZ game as anything but a warm up game for your team. There is no downside if they lost (would be different if they thought they had a realistic chance of going undefeated) as it does not change their season outcome or bowl game and if they did lose it gets the team fired up and potentially gives Utah a false sense of security. To me Utah is your team's biggest game of the season (especially due to the current 9 game streak) and planned accordingly to try and give themselves as much an advantage (perceived or otherwise) in anyway, no matter how minuscule, as possible as they could.
I think you are right about them holding out guys who could have played and not targeting the tight ends and maybe not showing much of the playbook.
I disagree about the AZ game having no downside if they lost. Momentum is a thing and confidence is also a thing. Not having those things can hurt a teams performance. Also in the bigger picture potential recruits watch games and winning matters to recruits so some extent. Going undefeated, ny6 bowls, playoffs, beating their rivals aren't only goals for a BYU season. They would also like to finish the season ranked in the top 25. Losing to a bad AZ team makes that goal (along with all those other goals) harder to accomplish.

I’ve always wondered why Tuiaki keeps it so vanilla. Sitake spent so much time under Kyle and never seemed to hesitate dialing up exotic pressures when he was Utah’s D coordinator that I just always figured we’d see the same philosophy once he took the BYU job.
Pisses me off to no end. They almost never give the offense a short field to work with.

Pisses me off to no end. They almost never give the offense a short field to work with.

I’ve said it multiple times, but I think Tuiaki is in over his head. I don’t think he’s a good Coordinator. I’d love to see him replaced.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I’ve said it multiple times, but I think Tuiaki is in over his head. I don’t think he’s a good Coordinator. I’d love to see him replaced.

I hear that a lot from my BYU friends. I would tend to agree. From a Ute fan perspective, I never really fear what Tuiaki is gonna dial up, but it admittedly puzzles me. K-Whitt is a Defensive guy and regardless of who his DC is, you know that Whitt has a heavy say on the Defensive game plan. Sitake learned under Whitt for so long, but it just doesn’t really seem that you see that same philosophy with Sitake and his DC.

I realize BYU didn’t show their full hand against Zona, but one thing that caught my attention was how many passing yards the BYU Defense gave up to a bad team that was playing their first game with a new HC, new offensive system, and playing 2 new QB’s. Tuiaki had better figure out a way to get to the QB in this game because Brewer looks as good as advertised, and Utah should be able to cause much more damage compared to that Arizona team.

The Utes have dominated the series over the past decade, however, most of the wins have been decided by a touchdown or less, including two overtime games. For the most part, the games have been pretty competitive and Saturdays’ game should be much of the same. In fact, since the Pac-12 era, BYU and Utah have been favored four times each. And over the last five games, the contest has been decided by an average of seven points.
Utah is favored by 7 points this year. Over/under is 49.
I would bet the utes to cover and bet the over.

This is what the losing streak has done to me. If BYU were to win I don't think I would even feel joy or happiness at this point. Only relief.

I’m riding Nevada -35 tonight and doing them every week like I did BYU most weeks last year.

Another great game like always (other than 54-10). I didn’t think tuiaki had it in him to dial up that much pressure. What a pleasant surprise.
Didnt think byu had much of a chance but they played pretty mistake free, won the turnover battle (finally), didnt give up a defensive touchdown, and executed well.

Thought the O-line was fantastic. Defense was awesome. Hall was quite good but i think he is only going to get better. Special teams was pretty good.

That running back Bernard had me terrified frequently. He was what kept the game close. Dude is quick and lightening fast.

Kalani is so awesome. Only coach out there who would sprint the sideline to catch a throw away ball lol. That was great.
The stadium was rocking like crazy. The rain. Awesome game from a byu perspective.

I feel for the utes out there but now they need to go take care of the pac and win the championship. I root for them the rest of the way.

Another great game like always (other than 54-10). I didn’t think tuiaki had it in him to dial up that much pressure. What a pleasant surprise.
Didnt think byu had much of a chance but they played pretty mistake free, won the turnover battle (finally), didnt give up a defensive touchdown, and executed well.

Thought the O-line was fantastic. Defense was awesome. Hall was quite good but i think he is only going to get better. Special teams was pretty good.

That running back Bernard had me terrified frequently. He was what kept the game close. Dude is quick and lightening fast.

Kalani is so awesome. Only coach out there who would sprint the sideline to catch a throw away ball lol. That was great.
The stadium was rocking like crazy. The rain. Awesome game from a byu perspective.

I feel for the utes out there but now they need to go take care of the pac and win the championship. I root for them the rest of the way.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the defense. At least until the 4th quarter when the standard three man rush appeared again.
Bernard is an amazing back. Dude is a stud. That other back (#9) needs to not see the field again until he can prove he can hold on to the ball.