What's new

2021-2022 College Football Board (Utes, Cougars, and Aggies)

I've been watching some of these previews on youtube and a lot of them have been favorable to Utah. Though this video ends with him saying Covey wont play, I think Covey will play(could be wrong). A lot of people think Utah's physicallity will be the difference in the game. I also heard mention that Whitt is retiring. While it wouldnt be surprise me it would raise some questions about who would take over next year.

Seeing games cancelled because of COVID is making me nervous.
I saw that some pre rose bowl event was cancelled due to covid. Cant remember what it was. Maybe a BBQ or something.
Saw that like 4 of ohio states best players are going to sit out the game so that they dont risk injury and hurting their draft position.

My prediction: A high scoring shootout either team can win. I will say OSU wins 42-37. Utes will score a bunch because their strength (running attack) is OSU weakness (stopping the run). OSU will score a bunch because they have the top offense in the country. #1 in points per game at 45.5 (iirc) and #1 in yards per game (500 plus. cant remember the exact amount but something like 530 per game iirc) and most effecient offense in the country.

Special teams could be an x-factor. This could be Coveys shining moment of his career and go out with a bang.
Should be a good game.

What catch from Bernard. Utah up 14-0
Amazing catch. Rising is on the money today as well. Running and passing. He had one bad throw to covey in the flat but thats it. Oline and Dline are both dominating.

dat kick return doe

Nice to be up 2 td's but it feels utah has to switch the defense up a bit to not let those speedy receivers get by us so easy.

So when a team is in hurry up mode like OSU was on that last possession, why do the receivers and backs jump up really quickly after getting a first down and get the ball to the official as fast as possible? The offense should want the clock to not start right? The clock cant start until the ref places the ball. So you should want the ref to take as long as possible to set the ball so the offense get to the line and get set before the clock starts yet I always see offensive skill position players getting the ball to the ref as quickly as possible after getting a first down and the clock not running. Then the ref sets the ball and the clock starts but the offense isn't all set on the line yet so you lose valuable seconds. Pretty stupid imo.

Also, you should always burn your timeouts on defense. The utes had the ball with under 2 minutes left and it was looking like they wouldn't score and they knew it so they ran the clock way down. OSU had a timeout and the ability to stop the utes from running the clock down yet didn't use it. On offense you can get first downs to stop the clock, spike the ball to stop the clock, get out of bounds to stop the clock etc. Its stupid to save those timeouts for offense.

So when a team is in hurry up mode like OSU was on that last possession, why do the receivers and backs jump up really quickly after getting a first down and get the ball to the official as fast as possible? The offense should want the clock to not start right? The clock cant start until the ref places the ball. So you should want the ref to take as long as possible to set the ball so the offense get to the line and get set before the clock starts yet I always see offensive skill position players getting the ball to the ref as quickly as possible after getting a first down and the clock not running. Then the ref sets the ball and the clock starts but the offense isn't all set on the line yet so you lose valuable seconds. Pretty stupid imo.

Also, you should always burn your timeouts on defense. The utes had the ball with under 2 minutes left and it was looking like they wouldn't score and they knew it so they ran the clock way down. OSU had a timeout and the ability to stop the utes from running the clock down yet didn't use it. On offense you can get first downs to stop the clock, spike the ball to stop the clock, get out of bounds to stop the clock etc. Its stupid to save those timeouts for offense.
For my first point I just learned that the clock actually starts when the chains are set, not when the ref places the ball. So you would want the ref to spot the ball as quick as possible so you can snap it as quick as possible. I never knew that before. Seems like the announcers make the comment about the clock starting when the refs place the ball all the time. Apparently that is incorrect.

How did we go from Tom Hackett/Mitch Wishnowsky. To a punter that cant catch the snap. A gifted touchdown. Its a tight game again.

How did we go from Tom Hackett/Mitch Wishnowsky. To a punter that cant catch the snap. A gifted touchdown. Its a tight game again.
It's been crazy. I think Ohio needs to make a mistake for the Utes to lock this thing up. Otherwise it's a toss up