What's new

2023-2024 Western Conference Regular Season Prediction Contest

I'm curious if Houston could surprise this year. They certainly have a bunch of talent on their roster. Reading more about the KPJ situation, that will be an addition by subtraction. FVV might be the vet they need to pull the talent together.

I doubt it, but will not be surprised if they are better than I think.

I'm curious if Houston could surprise this year. They certainly have a bunch of talent on their roster. Reading more about the KPJ situation, that will be an addition by subtraction. FVV might be the vet they need to pull the talent together.

The KPJ situation really really hurt them. Too many young dudes. No proven bench. Poor big man depth.

We certainly could be underrating them. Jabari Smith was the best player in the summer league by a pretty good margin so he could be in for a big sophmore year improvement. Dillon Brooks had an awesome World Cup on both ends of the court so maybe that confidence can spring board him into a really good year. They have really lacked veteran leadership over the last few years so Fred VanVleet should be a huge upgrade for them. Then they have a bunch of solid looking young players in Jalen Green, Sengun, Eason, Amen and Whitmore. They are moving in the right direction but probably have some growing pains with those young guys.

I still want to know why anyone thinks OKC is better than Utah.

They got no depth and Chet is coming off foot surgery as a rookie.

They have some depth. They're still a bit thin (literally) in their frontcourt. Teams bullied them inside last year, and that will probably continue.

They have some depth. They're still a bit thin (literally) in their frontcourt. Teams bullied them inside last year, and that will probably continue.
I wonder if Favors has completely given up on playing basketball because he would be a nice vet big for them if he was in half decent shape. He would be a great team guy and give them a little bulk in the middle for a few minutes a game. Whiteside is another guy that seems like he would be worth a look for them.

Last edited:
Without Mike Conley orchestrating last year, the offense got bogged down.
As far as this part of your post goes...........
Point per game when conley sat out for the jazz last year:
We averaged 118 points per game in the 13 games conley missed for the jazz. I dont know how good or bad that is in comparison to the rest of the league or in comparison to the rest of the jazz games with conley in the lineup but 118 per game seems fine to me. I do know we averaged 117 points per game for the entire season.
Conley was good at getting assists and setting up teammates but...... he also only averaged 10 points per game on below average efficiency and wasn't a great defender or rebounder. I dont think we will miss him as much as other people think we will.

I wonder if Favors has completely given up on playing basketball because he would be a nice vet big for them if he was in half decent shape. He would be a great team guy and give them a little bulk in the middle for a few minutes a game. Whiteside is another guy that seems like he would be worth a look for them.
He has the body of a 40 year old

We certainly could be underrating them. Jabari Smith was the best player in the summer league by a pretty good margin so he could be in for a big sophmore year improvement. Dillon Brooks had an awesome World Cup on both ends of the court so maybe that confidence can spring board him into a really good year. They have really lacked veteran leadership over the last few years so Fred VanVleet should be a huge upgrade for them. Then they have a bunch of solid looking young players in Jalen Green, Sengun, Eason, Amen and Whitmore. They are moving in the right direction but probably have some growing pains with those young guys.
Young players dont win games in normal seasons. They especially dont win games against the quality of depth that exist in teh NBA now. And they especially dont win games when you pile a lot of them together with two vets who love taking and missing shots. They will be worse than Portland.

Random number generator

MIN
DEN
SAC
NOP
PHX
LAC
UTA
DAL
MEM
GSW
OKC
SAS
LAL
HOU
POR

Last edited:
PHX
DEN
LAL
GSW
MIN
LAC
SAC
UTA
OKC
NOP
MEM
DAL
HOU
SAS
POR

Barring injuries I think PHX and DEN should be at the top, but after that 3-12 could be a complete cluster. I've got LAL at 3, but injuries hit them they could easily be down at 12

@One Brow , can we also run control comps against Vegas odds, or other prediction organizations, as of the entry date?

@One Brow , can we also run control comps against Vegas odds, or other prediction organizations, as of the entry date?
The effort is all at the beginning, after that it makes no difference how many people/entities are involved (to the limits of the spreadsheet). I would need a list with no ties, so Vegas odds might or might not work, depending. If you have any sources you would like me to use (and are publicly available or someone retrieves the information), I will be happy to include them.

I'm tempering my expectations for the Jazz this season. I think they're going to look to trade out vets like Olynyk (expiring) and possibly Clarkson mid-season if they get solid offers. By the end of the season, the Jazz will probably be developing their young guys again. Dunn and THT aren't significant enough long-term pieces to put them ahead of developing Keyonte.

Last edited:
That's an excellent idea. I'll include a randomly generated list just to see where it winds up.

It might be interesting to compare with other publicized forecasts.

And generate a “JazzFanz consensus” forecast (average)

See if we are as smart as we think we are, haha

Barring injuries I think PHX and DEN should be at the top, but after that 3-12 could be a complete cluster. I've got LAL at 3, but injuries hit them they could easily be down at 12
This is the year lebron gets significantly worse.

Don’t believe me? I’ve been saying it for 4 years, haha

Btw, I’m a lebron fan, not a hater. Lakers hater.