What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I don’t know what to make of Bufkin. He’s really fast but looks really small out there and it looks like he doesn’t look to pass when he has a chance to score.

I’m kind of fixated on getting a player that is a bit of a connector (if not an obvious legit offensive creator). Bufkin looks like a microwave scorer to me.

I’m liking the Ignite guys more and more as we get closer to the draft. Pretty sure both Leonard Miller and Sidy Cissoko are going to get drafted higher than where they’re mostly projected. GG as well. Somebody is going to take a swing on the upside.

Last edited:
I’m liking the Ignite guys more and more as we get closer to the draft. Pretty sure both Leonard Miller and Sidy Cissoko are both going to get drafted higher than where they’re mostly projected. GG as well. Somebody is going to take a swing on the upside.
Miller and Sidy are both easily top 20 guys for me and possibly both top 15.

I’m liking the Ignite guys more and more as we get closer to the draft. Pretty sure both Leonard Miller and Sidy Cissoko are both going to get drafted higher than where they’re mostly projected. GG as well. Somebody is going to take a swing on the upside.
That’s a relevant thing to bring up. G-League/international players will shine relative to the egg the NCAA-ers are collectively laying.

Also, you'll never get back to the glory days of college basketball where everyone stayed 3 or 4 years with the same team. But this G-League Ignite and OTE stuff has been terrible imo. I didn't care until this last week, but it just sucks to dilute the talent of the one league everyone is actually watching so dramatically. Scoot should be leading a NCAA team on a tourney run right now. It'd be similar to the Zion hype. Dude would be the most electric player in college basketball by a mile. And we'd all be freaking out if he had an awesome tournament showing. Instead no one watches him play at all and he gets shut down to end the Ignite season. I am hoping Miller somehow goes ahead of Scoot in the draft just so we have something to point to that might make these guys consider college more strongly.

Also, you'll never get back to the glory days of college basketball where everyone stayed 3 or 4 years with the same team. But this G-League Ignite and OTE stuff has been terrible imo. I didn't care until this last week, but it just sucks to dilute the talent of the one league everyone is actually watching so dramatically. Scoot should be leading a NCAA team on a tourney run right now. It'd be similar to the Zion hype. Dude would be the most electric player in college basketball by a mile. And we'd all be freaking out if he had an awesome tournament showing. Instead no one watches him play at all and he gets shut down to end the Ignite season. I am hoping Miller somehow goes ahead of Scoot in the draft just so we have something to point to that might make these guys consider college more strongly.
I think NIL is turning the tide on this somewhat, but it will never be like it was in the 90’s and before.

I’m feeling confident it a top 6 being good including Wemby, Scoot, B Miller, either Thompson twin, or Cam. After that I have preferences, but think it is a crap shoot.
I think that is precisely correct. Pretty clean first three tiers there (1st: Wemby; 2nd: Scoot/Miller; 3rd: Thompsons and Whitmore).

Not sure it has ever been more difficult to project these dudes into the NBA. Just an extremely ugly product, looks nothing like the professional game.

You almost completely chuck the on court performance part of it. Draft on skills and size and hope for the best.
Yep. Measurables is the first thing I would look at. 2nd thing would be their shot.

What’s the word on the street about Amari Bailey here?
I've been trying to get the word out on him. He is a great defensive player, offensively he is a little gunshy and that is his biggest question mark IMO. Even at the rim where he's really effective I don't think he's aggressive enough. He's good in transition but definitely thinks twice about shooting in the half court. His passing is terrific though. I think that gets underrated because he doesn't have high AST numbers, but that's also because he's playing alongside another PG. His entry passes to Jacquez against Northwestern were terrific and you can easily see how effective that would be with Lauri. I'd recommend watching that game for anyone to understand the good (and some of the bad).

I like him as a Delon/Caruso type. Not someone who will drive your offense, but a guy that will help you win for sure.

Draft has always been a bit of a dart throw... I think there are plenty of good bets out there though. Good luck finding the guys that slip through the cracks but there will be some... Whitmore, Whitehead, Black, Wallace all having various ailments during and before season so who knows what could have been.

Yep. Measurables is the first thing I would look at. 2nd thing would be their shot.
I think I'd be looking at all of it but I might be more partial to guys with great work ethic and attitude. You'd have to do some solid background check sleuthing... but measurables, nba skills (what do they do at an nba level... or what do they show promise to do), nba fit, attitude/work ethic would all factor large.

I also would likely have a few red flags that might push a guy low enough that I'd just write him off the draft board basically.

This is an interesting mock that is current and shows how so many players are dropping (ie: Black, Keyonte, Nick Smith, Jet Howard, Sensabaugh, Whitehead)) due to bad tournament performances and who is moving up (ie: Hendricks, Ausar, Clowney, L Miller, Rupert, JHS)

This is an interesting mock that is current and shows how so many players are dropping (ie: Black, Keyonte, Nick Smith, Jet Howard, Sensabaugh, Whitehead)) due to bad tournament performances and who is moving up (ie: Hendricks, Ausar, Clowney, L Miller, Rupert, JHS)

I liked the cringy player comps.

Dime a dozen combo guard
You don’t think there’s an extra gear or two in there, given his age and how he looks when he pops?

Also, I think there are two types of combo guard and they are stark opposites:
1 - undersized SGs (chuckers that work in the NCAA)
2 -big guards with PG chops

He seems more the latter (“2”) and it’s a very valuable combination of attributes. Also much less common than “1”.

I honestly have no confident opinion, the game against NW was just incredibly impressivehe’s a freshman with size, and highly recruited.

It’s starting to feel like getting the player(s) I want is going to be more of a diamond in the rough/Easter egg hunt. The player type in the NW game is exactly what I would be thrilled to land in this draft at any pick.

Last edited:
If Bailey's skillset is seen as "common" (not saying it is) it's because every team can use that type of guy.

You don’t think there’s an extra gear or two in there, given his age and how he looks when he pops?

Also, I think there are two types of combo guard and they are stark opposites:
1 - undersized SGs (chuckers that work in the NCAA)
2 -big guards with PG chops

He seems more the latter (“2”) and it’s a very valuable combination of attributes. Also much less common than “1”.

I honestly have no confident opinion, the game against NW was just incredibly impressivehe’s a freshman with size, and highly recruited.

It’s starting to feel like getting the player(s) I want is going to be more of a diamond in the rough/Easter egg hunt. The player type in the NW game is exactly what I would be thrilled to land in this draft at any pick.
He could be good. I'm really not sure and have no idea how I could tell given what he has shown this far. He can definitely play, not discounting that at all, but I don't see anything standout that makes him a surefire NBA player. He should go back to school. Also think among the (likely) returning 2 guard prospect Riley Kugel out of Florida is a much better upside prospect.

Bailey is a guy you'd probably draft after the 40s if he gave you a solid workout and you throw him in the GLeague on a 2 way deal. He should stay. If he is able to put together a good 2nd year at UCLA he has a better shot of getting drafted in a slot where a team feels more commitment to his development