What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I'd much rather have Lauri as my top player than Tyrese, just my opinion.
if lauri plays like he did last year every year, i would probably agree - but he's a top 10 player in the league if he plays like that. you just don't get dudes who score 25+ ppg on 65% TS - that's rarified air. Let alone who can hold their own defensively.

but i wouldn't trade lauri for scoot or miller either. and tyrese is in that tier.

The thing about top 10 players is that there isn't necessarily even 1 per draft. Realistically this draft has 1 ( Probably Wemby) or at most 2 top 5-10 players. Outside of a top 3 pick there doesn't seem to be a consistent way that top 10 players are drafted. Some will develop far more than their ceiling seems to be, some will be complete surprises picked later in the draft, and some could be huge gambles that pay off.

I think the premise that some of us are proposing is that since it seems just as likely to draft a high floor/low ceiling guy that develops in to something more than his proposed ceiling than to hit on a big swing, it would be better to not draft the low floor/high ceiling guy since they are more likely not to contribute to the team at all.

Then you have another great building block... also his ceiling may surprise you... like the 10 or so other names we've already thrown out. Mikal Bridges was a key to getting the KD trade done... there is tremendous value in building out the asset base of the team. Maybe they are the linchpin to doing a star trade.

I don't think Hendricks is that special. For example, I don't think he's like Mikal Bridges. It's hard for players to players to develop a handle, passing and mid-range shooting if they haven't already shown signs of it entering the league.

If he hits and becomes a star, I'll send you a bottle of Johnnie Walker black-label whiskey anywhere in the country.

If its just the player Lauri vs. Tyrese its kind of a toss up... if its the contract and the player I'm likely going Tyrese... one more rookie deal year and team control after that. He's younger so could be further from his prime.

Honestly if you had those two together you are a title contender if you fill out the roster competently.

For every Giannis there is 50 Bilal Coulibaly’s…

No one knows what Coulibaly is yet. The potential is very, very high.

Regarding Giannis, sure he's an outlier. When he came in the league, he was supposed to be a 6'8" guy who could be your point guard. Then somehow he grew to 6'11", 245 lbs and could still be your point guard.

Last edited:
If its just the player Lauri vs. Tyrese its kind of a toss up... if its the contract and the player I'm likely going Tyrese... one more rookie deal year and team control after that. He's younger so could be further from his prime.

Honestly if you had those two together you are a title contender if you fill out the roster competently.
for the purposes of your argument, it doesn't matter. you trade every pick after #1 for either of them.

I think GG would be the popular answer. Way ahead of where he should be picked, but there is potential there.

I would still draft GG at his fair market value (not at 9). It's a bummer that he probably needs a baby sitter for the first year or so, but he's still worth drafting.

TBH, Rupert and Cissoko are guys worth swinging on too.

I would still draft GG at his fair market value (not at 9). It's a bummer that he probably needs a baby sitter for the first year or so, but he's still worth drafting.

TBH, Rupert and Cissoko are guys worth swinging on too.

FWIW I wouldn't consider Cissoko a swing. After playing in the G-League I think he's somewhat of a known quantity and will get picked in the range he is projected.

Rupert could end up as a swing pick. We'll see how that turns out.