What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Don't we keep the 2024 pick if its lower than 10th? It bumps to the following draft with different restrictions if I recall. I think it graduates to a couple of seconds later.
I thought it was the opposite. I think it is top 10 protected so if we land in any spot 10 and up we keep the pick and it moves to the next year. If we draft say 12th then OKC gets it. I think that is how it works.

Has there been one single good player in the NBA that has came from France’s A League since Gobert in 2013?

Killian Hayes, Theo Maledon, Sekou Doumbouya, Frank Ntilikina, etc.

edit: redoing the stats because I included youth competitions which I don't put much value in...

here it is...

Frank 19.3min/5.38pts/2.27rbs/1.51ast/0.73stl/0.2blk......... .532 TS%
Bilal 20.1min/6.03pts/3.03rbs/1.00ast/0.91stl/0.17blk...... .600 TS%

I guess the biggest difference is in efficiency...

Like I said, he's got shades of Exum in the good and bad ways. The offensive production/role is one of the bad ways. Offensively, he's pretty far away and I guess you have to make the judgement call on how far is too far away to materialize into something great? That's a real question mark. Defensively I think he's not far away and could step into the NBA. One of the reasons why I like him is that I think worst case scenario he has a soft landing as a Derrick Jones Jr type player.

Obviously a big part of Bilal's case is the physical tools themselves. He is a much better from a physical standpoint than Exum/Frank and doesn't have the "needs to be a PG" tag to him. He's a physical specimen for a wing whereas as Exum/Frank were only specimens compared to other PG's. If you gave them more size+athleticism (or health) they probably could have stuck it out in the NBA. But beyond the physical tools themselves, I think you're also taking a bet on his trajectory as a late bloomer. He's improved more than just about any prospect in the last year. You look back 3 months, 6 moths, 12 months etc. and you see a different player. He was not even a part of the team to begin the season and ended as a starter playing his basketball in the playoffs. Does the train stop here, or are we going to the moon? I personally like betting on the late bloomer, but it's an interesting question.

Let's just say for arguments sake that Bilal and Frank are at the same level predraft. Do you prefer the Frank type trajectory (high pedigree who has been on radar for years but stagnated) or do you prefer Bilal (came out of nowhere and rose up)?

I think Utah is a good place to go to for a guard, but I couldn't see Utah promising Bufkin a huge role to start out. The Jazz backcourt isnt elite or anything, but Dunn/Sexton/THT/Ochai/Clarkson is a pretty deep rotation.

Washington would be able to promise him that kind of role if they do a blowup around a Beal trade, but promising him at 8 seems a bit rich unless you are all the way out on the Twins and think Black is guaranteed to be gone by 8.

I think Utah is a good place to go to for a guard, but I couldn't see Utah promising Bufkin a huge role to start out. The Jazz backcourt isnt elite or anything, but Dunn/Sexton/THT/Ochai/Clarkson is a pretty deep rotation.

Washington would be able to promise him that kind of role if they do a blowup around a Beal trade, but promising him at 8 seems a bit rich unless you are all the way out on the Twins and think Black is guaranteed to be gone by 8.
yeah I didn't try to make any sense of it. I think OKC would be the promise team if I was guessing. Kobe worked out with SGA and its kinda their thing.

Or he just is trying to control his destiny and there is no promise.

Lots of promises this year... most for no reason at all.

I wonder how uncouth it is to 1) renege on a draft promise 2) draft someone who actually has a promise elsewhere. I'm pretty sure Giannis had a promise and MIL took him anyways.

I feel like it's mostly just trying to bait other teams into trading up and/or media sleuthing for any kind of crumb to report on. Just seems like there are way more "promises" this year, but that may be because I'm following this year more closely.

I wonder how uncouth it is to 1) renege on a draft promise 2) draft someone who actually has a promise elsewhere. I'm pretty sure Giannis had a promise and MIL took him anyways.

I feel like it's mostly just trying to bait other teams into trading up and/or media sleuthing for any kind of crumb to report on. Just seems like there are way more "promises" this year, but that may be because I'm following this year more closely.
Yeah.. not sure... might be teams being more secretive. I could see a Kobe promise at 16 and I could see him wanting to come here if JC bounces he'd have a shot to start sooner than later. I wouldn't want to go to NO or Atlanta if I was him.

Yeah.. not sure... might be teams being more secretive. I could see a Kobe promise at 16 and I could see him wanting to come here if JC bounces he'd have a shot to start sooner than later. I wouldn't want to go to NO or Atlanta if I was him.

Maybe it’s Toronto? I feel like we’re all expecting craziness….but this draft feels like it will go chalk. DAL being the wildcard.

9: Ausar/Hendricks/Walker (whoever falls)
10. ??????
11. Dick (makes perfect sense for them imo)
12. Bilal (real promise)
13. Bufkin

Maybe it’s Toronto? I feel like we’re all expecting craziness….but this draft feels like it will go chalk. DAL being the wildcard.

9: Ausar/Hendricks/Walker (whoever falls)
10. ??????
11. Dick (makes perfect sense for them imo)
12. Bilal (real promise)
13. Bufkin
Things I'd bet on

9 - Utah takes Black or the other "fallers"
10- Trade of some sort unless Hendricks or Black are available
11- Dick... this feels pretty guaranteed but Magic are really secretive
12- Bilal/Miller or Bufkin are my guesses.
13- Wallace, Bufkin, JHS
14- No damn idea.
15- I think this one gets traded

So I don't even know what "chalk" is. I think this section gets messy.

Here's my random thought prediction that might be a bit of a hot take. JC opts in as we agree to move him to Dallas for Bertans and 10 (we send 16 too). He is from Texas... so there is that. He can do his bench scoring thing and sub in when guys are hurt.

I think with the new CBA some players and agents are on shaky ground... so an extension last year would have been below market... but he can extend his deal for a couple years and like 34M total-ish.

Maybe not this deal... but I think he ends up opting in and being moved somewhere he likes instead of going to FA.

Here's my random thought prediction that might be a bit of a hot take. JC opts in as we agree to move him to Dallas for Bertans and 10 (we send 16 too). He is from Texas... so there is that. He can do his bench scoring thing and sub in when guys are hurt.

I think with the new CBA some players and agents are on shaky ground... so an extension last year would have been below market... but he can extend his deal for a couple years and like 34M total-ish.

Maybe not this deal... but I think he ends up opting in and being moved somewhere he likes instead of going to FA.

Why does JC do this? You’re limited to 5% raises with an extend and trade.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a really unsexy trade I think works well is taking Gallinari’s salary into space and getting Pritchard and #35 in return. That would allow Boston to keep Grant Williams for at least a little bit.

There is going to be a prospect on the board at #35 that a lot of people like. At least one of GG, Sidy, Jacquez, AJJ, Strawther, Terq, Bailey, or Walsh will be there.