What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Big picture question: In my heart don't believe it, but I must ask due to present day reality, If offenses are now unstoppable, at a high level, what's the point of drafting someone with defensive skill? Maybe just go all out for offensive skill instead?
It’s all relative, though. A team that can get more stops is better than a team that can’t all else equal.

I would actually argue that an elite defense would be more valuable now than in the past. It’s just much harder to defend now, so you can’t just park a giant at the hoop and play prevent defense anymore. Players and schemes are just so much better and dynamic, so now you need better and dynamic defensive ability to contain teams from going off.

This is why disruptive and switchable defenders that can shoot the basketball are going to be increasingly required to be a real contender. That is why Hendricks and Wallace hold so much (prospective) value.

If you can not only blow up pick and rolls but create a little uncertainty or discomfort by hounding the ball, intercepting passes, and protecting the rim with multiple defenders, then you are simply a cut above. The days of a Rudy Gobert being an entire defense are over.

Big picture question: In my heart don't believe it, but I must ask due to present day reality, If offenses are now unstoppable, at a high level, what's the point of drafting someone with defensive skill? Maybe just go all out for offensive skill instead?
I mean, we basically exist in that reality as currently constructed.

If we didnt, Jordan Walsh would be surefire first round pick and that's why guys like Brice Sensabaugh are first rounders. You have to have a baseline of offensive ability to play in the NBA. Defensively you just cant be an absolute target.

It’s all relative, though. A team that can get more stops is better than a team that can’t all else equal.

I would actually argue that an elite defense would be more valuable now than in the past. It’s just much harder to defend now, so you can’t just park a giant at the hoop and play prevent defense anymore. Players and schemes are just so much better and dynamic, so now you need better and dynamic defensive ability to contain teams from going off.

This is why disruptive and switchable defenders that can shoot the basketball are going to be increasingly required to be a real contender. That is why Hendricks and Wallace hold so much (prospective) value.

If you can not only blow up pick and rolls but create a little uncertainty or discomfort by hounding the ball, intercepting passes, and protecting the rim with multiple defenders, then you are simply a cut above. The days of a Rudy Gobert being an entire defense are over.
I also think Hardy understands these things and why he switched to a zone at times. Its about getting the extra few stops somehow.

I think good offense will still beat good defense most of the time but good defense is still a requirement to win a title. There is a baseline of competency you will need to get to and pushing the limits beyond that may not have as much benefit if there is some sacrifice on offense.

Feels like dudes who standout during these combine scrimmages often mean something. A name to keep an eye on. Will probably get invited to NBA Combine based off his performance.

I'm pretty sure Bobby Marks was the first person I heard mention the possibility of the Jazz trading Royce to the Nets for a first round pick, and then that's exactly what ended up happening.

I would rather keep the pick.

View: https://twitter.com/k_clayt/status/1646600388014145543

I do not get the feeling he has any kind of insight. In the video the reasoning is "I am not sure they walk out with 3 first round rookies" and "they don't have seconds so this would replenish the seconds".

I love Bobby but using a first to replenish future second rounders is some pretty dumb planning. You trade vets you can't offload for firsts to get seconds. If you have a million firsts the seconds are really going to be used for trades later... Maybe some turn into players but I think we can add some second rounders with less important assets.

I don't really see future seconds as having a lot of value to us except to grease the wheels - we have so many firsts in the next decade it may be hard to roster almost any second rounders.

@KqWIN

View: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1646613966141943816

Definitive announcement and it will boost his stock because that's how these things work.

I get wanting to be a pro ASAP, but damn to me he had the best reason to go back to college. Would have had a chance to be the man on UCLA.

Yeah...we're not reigniting that dumbass conversation. Obviously hype will raise guys stock, but people were not artificially rating him low because they didn't think he would declare.

I'm just glad that my favorite mid range dominant scorer is in this draft.

Yeah...we're not reigniting that dumbass conversation. Obviously hype will raise guys stock, but people were not artificially rating him low because they didn't think he would declare.

I'm just glad that my favorite mid range dominant scorer is in this draft.

People were definitely leaving him off of mocks and big boards because they didn’t think he was going to declare.

People were definitely leaving him off of mocks because they didn’t think he was going to declare.

Nobody ranked JHS over Bailey because they thought he would declare and Bailey wouldn't. They thought JHS would declare and Bailey wouldn't because they thought JHS was better.