What's new

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

A quick read tells me this is tax that some states (including CA) have where they tax opposing players. So AD will pay some tax here and some there, probably none of the jock tax actually to CA.
Oh yeah, completely forgot they factor in the tax in the states you play road games.

The whole idea of being taxed on visiting states doesn’t make any sense to me. Has that been confirmed? They’re paid a salary, not lump sums for each game. How would they even calculate how much they would owe for a game? You can’t even do 1/82 because their contract is 365/year that requires other duties that isn’t easily compartmentalism’s into 82 sections. Pilots and flight attendants don’t pay taxes in every state. People don’t pay another state’s tax because they have a business trip, or even frequent business trips, to a location.
I agree it sounds weird. I do believe that you actually can do 1/82, though. That's how they calculate fines when players are suspended, at least.
Not sure how the states have specified this, but I guess if it's a minimum sum you earn working in the state, it's probably not entirely unreasonable.

I agree it sounds weird. I do believe that you actually can do 1/82, though. That's how they calculate fines when players are suspended, at least.
Not sure how the states have specified this, but I guess if it's a minimum sum you earn working in the state, it's probably not entirely unreasonable.
The NBA can choose 1/82 for fines because they do that all internally and could divvy it up any way they wanted, really. But for taxation purposes it would be fairly arbitrary because the state doesn’t really have any way of determining what work happens and when. Saying 1/82 doesn’t really make much sense (from a state perspective) because it implies that the only work being done is the actual game.

The NBA can choose 1/82 for fines because they do that all internally and could divvy it up any way they wanted, really. But for taxation purposes it would be fairly arbitrary because the state doesn’t really have any way of determining what work happens and when. Saying 1/82 doesn’t really make much sense (from a state perspective) because it implies that the only work being done is the actual game.
I guess, good point. Apparently they do, though...

In 2023, only the first $160,200 of income is even taxable for FICA so that tax is WAY WAY less than $1.4M tax. I'm not sure on some of the other items though.
Nah, the calculation is correct.

Only the Social Security portion of FICA is subject to the $160,200 threshold. (Also, the Medicare portion gets an additional 0.9% tacked on after the first $200,000).

Here are some former Jazz players working out for the Ws: "
The Warriors are working out numerous veteran free agents over the next two weeks, The Athletic’s Shams Charania and Anthony Slater report (Twitter link).

That group includes Dion Waiters, Tony Snell, Kent Bazemore, Juan Toscano-Anderson, Harry Giles and Trey Burke. The Warriors have two vacancies on their 15-man roster and a camp competition is expected among several candidates, Slater tweets.
The Warriors are working out numerous veteran free agents over the next two weeks, The Athletic’s Shams Charania and Anthony Slater report (Twitter link)."

Not sure what their plan is but they have a lot of mid-salary tied up in good players. I'm sure they are waiting on the right star but Quickley gets paid before that happens.

Salary issues aside I think they are on some sort of clock with Quickley and his aspirations to be a starter. Maybe he's a good soldier and doesn't care, but if he has any kind of ambitions to be more than a backup (and a backup who is losing minutes) he should want out. And even if he does want to stay his trade value is tanking which is not good for NYK's trade aspirations. If NYK doesn't want to squash his value, they should cash him in for picks while his value is higher.

Here are some former Jazz players working out for the Ws: "
The Warriors are working out numerous veteran free agents over the next two weeks, The Athletic’s Shams Charania and Anthony Slater report (Twitter link).

That group includes Dion Waiters, Tony Snell, Kent Bazemore, Juan Toscano-Anderson, Harry Giles and Trey Burke. The Warriors have two vacancies on their 15-man roster and a camp competition is expected among several candidates, Slater tweets.
The Warriors are working out numerous veteran free agents over the next two weeks, The Athletic’s Shams Charania and Anthony Slater report (Twitter link)."
I've always liked Giles. I was also a Payton II homer and GS grabbed him off the rubble pile ; it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing occurs with Giles. The dude can ball but he has had awful luck with injuries.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they signed Snell.

Salary issues aside I think they are on some sort of clock with Quickley and his aspirations to be a starter. Maybe he's a good soldier and doesn't care, but if he has any kind of ambitions to be more than a backup (and a backup who is losing minutes) he should want out. And even if he does want to stay his trade value is tanking which is not good for NYK's trade aspirations. If NYK doesn't want to squash his value, they should cash him in for picks while his value is higher.
It sounds like they will give IQ an extension rather than trade him... according to some of the NY insiders. I do think it may hurt his value if he can't break into the starting lineup or grab more minutes... but teams might look past that. I think they are going to kick that can down the road unless they get a really good offer.

It sounds like they will give IQ an extension rather than trade him... according to some of the NY insiders. I do think it may hurt his value if he can't break into the starting lineup or grab more minutes... but teams might look past that. I think they are going to kick that can down the road unless they get a really good offer.
I think they eventually need to trade Quickley or Grimes. Both are still on rookie contracts so they really don't need to do anything until next summer when IQ is a potential RFA if they don't extend him by the start of this season.

My gut feeling is the Knicks and Brooklyn are keeping an eye on the Donovan situation. If he doesn't sign an extension in Cleveland next offseason I suspect he goes on the trade block again.