What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Izan Almansa has been better player than Sarr at any level in any competition. Now, that doesn't automatically mean he will be better NBA player, but still... some food for thought...

There’s a lot of weird stuff like that in this draft. I think Melvin Ajinca, for example, was wayyyy better than Risacher and Sarr at the U19 World Cup.

I think I’m being convinced on Sarr (or less convinced on everyone else) but it’s a little alarming when he really hasn’t stood out in any competition.

We make mountains out of molehills out of the comparison discussions. Is Edey a Boban clone? Of course not, but for all intents and purposes they would be playing a similar role with similar strengths and question marks. Maybe Edey is more athletic and that allows him to answer those questions and play more. Doesn’t make Boban an invalid reference point.

We make mountains out of molehills out of the comparison discussions. Is Edey a Boban clone? Of course not, but for all intents and purposes they would be playing a similar role with similar strengths and question marks. Maybe Edey is more athletic and that allows him to answer those questions and play more. Doesn’t make Boban an invalid reference point.
Boban is freaking amazing comp. I'm not even necessarily saying he will have the exact same success in the league. But purely as a style of play, strengths, weaknesses/question marks... they are really similar players. And again, people are acting like Boban is some scrub... he's made a pretty good career in the league... he's been in the NBA for 8-9 years. Hell even for lottery picks the average NBA career is probably shorter than that.

Boban is freaking amazing comp. I'm not even necessarily saying he will have the exact same success in the league. But purely as a style of play, strengths, weaknesses/question marks... they are really similar players. And again, people are acting like Boban is some scrub... he's made a pretty good career in the league... he's been in the NBA for 8-9 years. Hell even for lottery picks the average NBA career is probably shorter than that.
It's a terrible comp. Edey is dunking an incredible amount. Dunking is not easier in college, it's harder due to the limited spacing. Boban wouldn't average 1/3rd the dunks Edey has this year in the same minutes. I also don't think k Boban could play 30 mpg at any level and be as dominant as Edey

Boban isn't a scrub, but he isn't on Edeys level at any facet. Also factor in Edey first picked up a basketball at age 15.

This is why comps are terrible and only used by the most casual enjoyers of drafting. This is the kind of thinking that makes up pass up on obvious talents because the limited comparison pool leads you down the wrong evaluation path

Another reason people are too low on Edey is the bias towards thinking he is only good because of his height when the reality is we have never seen a post player as talented as he is at his size.

People think "oh he is just dominating because he is big and if anyone was as big as him they would do the same thing". Wrong, he's a special talent.

It's a terrible comp. Edey is dunking an incredible amount. Dunking is not easier in college, it's harder due to the limited spacing. Boban wouldn't average 1/3rd the dunks Edey has this year in the same minutes. I also don't think k Boban could play 30 mpg at any level and be as dominant as Edey

Boban isn't a scrub, but he isn't on Edeys level at any facet. Also factor in Edey first picked up a basketball at age 15.

It is on the basis of exactly what Stiches said. Purely as a style of play, strengths, weaknesses/question marks... they are really similar players. I don't think it's "for the casuals" to think about similar types of players have performed and what may be different between the two players. If you noticed, he explicitly said that he's not saying that they will have the same career path.

Edey dunks more, so what? Again, making mountains out of molehills. Also, what you said about it being harder to dunk in college isn't necessarily true for bigs. There are 4 centers drafted in the first round of the last two seasons and only 1 of them dunked at a higher rate in the pros than in college. Boban also played 27 MPG in the euroleague and was one of, if not the most productive in the euroleague. These differences are so minor compared to the bigger picture.

A casual will see comparisons as 1:1 and nitpick them to the death. A more nuanced person will be able to contextualize what they're seeing and consider what might work better, worse, or similarly. You're too concerned with saying that Edey is better than Boban you're missing the point.

I don't know...

On one hand I believe that NBA paint defenders are allowed to be more physical in the NBA. In the NCAA if a guy gets touched in the paint they are blowing the whistle. That's been a huge advantage of Edey's in college that I think goes away in the NBA.

On the other hand I'm watching a guy like TJD dominate the Rockets last night because they didn't have anyone big enough to defend the paint against him. As more teams continue to move away from traditional bigs it could be a huge benefit to have a guy that can dominate inside.

One thing @andylarsen said last year about Keyonte is that if he's not Don, who is he? Now, I thought that was a really dumb question because there is a full spectrum of scoring combo guards from Don to Bones Hyland and beyond.

However, it seems more relevant with Edey and his post game. His shot chart is tightly packed around the rim. Even his shots that are not dunks/layups are extremely close. He creates a ton of shots at the rim with his size/skill/ability, but as far as other offense he's a pure postup guy without much range. You can count the number of guys in the NBA who are effective, heavy post up guys in the league with one hand. I would argue there's really only two, and those two are the last two MVP's and have so many skills beyond posting up. There's really not a big in the NBA that plays the way Edey does. I'm sure Edey will change some in the NBA, but how much can he? Or is he just a transcendent talent that will change the way the game is played? I'm skeptical.

I don't think he has the ability to be a high post, dribble handoff/faceup guy, and I wonder if he can read the defense fast enough to make quick decisions out of the low post. Everyone knows that the bigs in the NBA are more athletic/longer than in college, but that's true for the perimeter players as well and the help defense is MUCH more dynamic. He's killing these college defenses, but it's a different beast when you have NBA athletes doubling down and recovering as well as they do. It's a big reason why post ups and "just pass it to the mismatch" doesn't really fly in the NBA.

One thing @andylarsen said last year about Keyonte is that if he's not Don, who is he? Now, I thought that was a really dumb question because there is a full spectrum of scoring combo guards from Don to Bones Hyland and beyond.

However, it seems more relevant with Edey and his post game. His shot chart is tightly packed around the rim. Even his shots that are not dunks/layups are extremely close. He creates a ton of shots at the rim with his size/skill/ability, but as far as other offense he's a pure postup guy without much range. You can count the number of guys in the NBA who are effective, heavy post up guys in the league with one hand. I would argue there's really only two, and those two are the last two MVP's and have so many skills beyond posting up. There's really not a big in the NBA that plays the way Edey does. I'm sure Edey will change some in the NBA, but how much can he? Or is he just a transcendent talent that will change the way the game is played? I'm skeptical.

I don't think he has the ability to be a high post, dribble handoff/faceup guy, and I wonder if he can read the defense fast enough to make quick decisions out of the low post. Everyone knows that the bigs in the NBA are more athletic/longer than in college, but that's true for the perimeter players as well and the help defense is MUCH more dynamic. He's killing these college defenses, but it's a different beast when you have NBA athletes doubling down and recovering as well as they do. It's a big reason why post ups and "just pass it to the mismatch" doesn't really fly in the NBA.
I see a ton of great things with Edey. My biggest concern is not even guarding away from the hoop. I worry that we will never have driving lanes at all when he is in the game.

He's not an nba player so no. We're also dead last since the trade deadline. We're dead last in turnovers. We're dead last in defense. I don't even think a prime LeBron could help our team at the moment

So one thing that turned me on Edey a bit is the screen setting. I think it was Vecenie or KOC or someone talked about his improvement as a screener. If he can combine the post stuff with some screens that get guards some separation he could cause some additional havoc. If you are switching he should be able to eat or command attention. The passing will need to be good. I wonder if he can be pre-shooting Brook Lopez. I also wonder if he can shoot a little but I don't think that is the swing skill.

I think he might be a guy that gets 10 minutes one night and 25 minutes another night depending on matchup. He might be a guy who causes issues in some playoff series and is unplayable in others. In most drafts i think he should be a guy taken in the 20s (that is where I think you get some value taking the right kind of big prospects). In this draft I think end of lottery is okay... it wouldn't be my preference but I'd understand it.

Part of me also wonders if this whole defensive revolution that some want would benefit guys like Edey. I wouldn't base draft decisions on that and I think that the "offensive problem" is overstated... but if they went to a 4 second defensive rule it would benefit drop bigs.

I see a ton of great things with Edey. My biggest concern is not even guarding away from the hoop. I worry that we will never have driving lanes at all when he is in the game.
In college where teams can play a zone and the paint is already congested I think this is a bigger issue. I think in the NBA if he sets big screens I think it may open things up for guards. Even is the big drops he has to cover a driver and someone has to tag Edey for the role/offensive rebounding assignment. If you switch and he posts you almost have to bring a double.

I think the issue will be defending in space and keeping up with the pace of the game. Boban was decent in the halfcourt as a defender... like he might get cooked in space of course but guys that big will have defensive value near the rim just by existing. Its keeping up with the pace of the game and nba athletes. Boban seemed to have a hard time getting up and down the floor.

If Bronny declares I think what will happen is we trade either the 27th pick or 32nd to LA so they can take Bronny. We will then get them to remove the protections from the 2027 pick and give us another second for our trouble. I'm calling my shot here.

I do think 1 or 2 of the upperclassmen will pop Jaime Jacquez style... I also think there will be a few Chris Duarte's. Having a hard time deciding who is who though.