What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Cody Williams and SGA is a comparison that I never expected to hear. I'm looking more in the Tayshaun Prince mold if he is willing to really lock in defensively.
When you got Sip talking you down on a prospect you know you've gone too far
 
If you dig around his highlights from year to year he keeps adding things. Compared to a typical rookie his athletic ability is not elite. But he keeps adding the skills. An average athlete that can keep shooting, and has a defensive edge can find a way to a rotational player
Ok, now tell me which 2nd rounder is the next Jokic and I won't be able to argue against it because no one knew about Jokic either!
Chomche...lol
 
If you dig around his highlights from year to year he keeps adding things. Compared to a typical rookie his athletic ability is not elite. But he keeps adding the skills. An average athlete that can keep shooting, and has a defensive edge can find a way to a rotational player

Chomche...lol
You are becoming the draft version of homeytennis
 
I'm a fan of Cody Williams, but IDK, I don't see him as having a ton of upside for scoring. Don't see an assertive player and the shot is mediocre. See someone who is probably going to fit in and be kind of a 3&D type with his unique trait being the ability to attack the rim off the dribble in closeout situations or rotation situations. Don't see the primary creation upside.
 
I also can't recall any big board that has Cody in the top 5 (and I mean any, from small enthusiast like us to thr major sites), so I don't think anyone really sees all that much upside. I don't even really see him in the top 10 for many. Everyone seems to agree he is an OK lottery prospect but not someone teams seem to be enamored with like Holland/Buzelis who seem to have a wider variety of positive/negative opinions.
 
I'm a fan of Cody Williams, but IDK, I don't see him as having a ton of upside for scoring. Don't see an assertive player and the shot is mediocre. See someone who is probably going to fit in and be kind of a 3&D type with his unique trait being the ability to attack the rim off the dribble in closeout situations or rotation situations. Don't see the primary creation upside.
When you go pro it can help a player level up. There are few that get surprisingly better. Hard to predict but there are elements there that could happen. Not likely for Cody because he is a 10th pick but it could happen.
 
I also can't recall any big board that has Cody in the top 5 (and I mean any, from small enthusiast like us to thr major sites), so I don't think anyone really sees all that much upside. I don't even really see him in the top 10 for many. Everyone seems to agree he is an OK lottery prospect but not someone teams seem to be enamored with like Holland/Buzelis who seem to have a wider variety of positive/negative opinions.

Cody Williams was consensus top 4 on several draft sites (incl. NbaDraftroom, Yahoo and Rafael Barlowe's NBA BigBoard), along with Sarr, Risacher and Topic up until late January or early February.
Then Cody had injury issues.
Then the UK guards gained prominence.
Then Buzelis had a handful of better games.
Then the UConn guys had their post-season run.

See where Cody goes in this draft. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it to #10.
 
Last edited:
I'm a fan of Cody Williams, but IDK, I don't see him as having a ton of upside for scoring. Don't see an assertive player and the shot is mediocre. See someone who is probably going to fit in and be kind of a 3&D type with his unique trait being the ability to attack the rim off the dribble in closeout situations or rotation situations. Don't see the primary creation upside.


I think he’s fine….but my concern is that all he can do is score. He’s a TJ Warren type prospect for me. It wouldn’t surprise me if he eventually develops into a decent scorer like TJ and that has value…but he doesn’t offer much else. The scoring I see, but like yourself I don’t see any peripheral skills. As was the case at Colorado, he may be able to score efficiently in the NBA but without a major impact. I like Cody for his ability to get to the hoop and finish….but if you like him because there’s a 10% chance he’s Shai you’re out of your mind.

I will say…this Shai stuff makes me roll my eyes. Used to be Kawhi, now it’s Shai. It’s one of the dumbest things we do. It is not convincing and has the opposite effect as intended.

Also, I don’t really care if Cody was seen as number one at some point. There’s like 5+ guys who were seen as potential number one at some point.
 
I think he’s fine….but my concern is that all he can do is score. He’s a TJ Warren type prospect for me. It wouldn’t surprise me if he eventually develops into a decent scorer like TJ and that has value…but he doesn’t offer much else. The scoring I see, but like yourself I don’t see any peripheral skills. As was the case at Colorado, he may be able to score efficiently in the NBA but without a major impact. I like Cody for his ability to get to the hoop and finish….but if you like him because there’s a 10% chance he’s Shai you’re out of your mind.

I will say…this Shai stuff makes me roll my eyes. Used to be Kawhi, now it’s Shai. It’s one of the dumbest things we do. It is not convincing and has the opposite effect as intended.

Also, I don’t really care if Cody was seen as number one at some point. There’s like 5+ guys who were seen as potential number one at some point.

Shall I take a moment and explain to you and Cy what a '10% probability' means? It means that it's possible, but also very unlikely.

There. You're welcome. It's not the same as categorically proclaiming that Cody is the next SGA.

NBA teams are trying to project the futures of young, raw players. They're dealing with different degrees of uncertainty and probability. They're making investments based on perceived risk and reward. If Cody Williams becomes an All Star, it will be because he's a long, skilled, high-impact, two-way guard. If he doesn't become an All Star, he can still provide value as a defender, ball mover and somewhat versatile scorer.

If you compare him to a player like, say, Stephon Castle, there might be a 10% chance that Castle develops into a hard-nosed, two-way wing like Jimmy Butler. However, that outcome is also very unlikely, and meanwhile there's a solid chance (40%, 50% ??) that Castle never becomes a reliable enough shooter to play starter minutes. Nonetheless, there are plenty of people who think Castle is worth a top 5 or 6 pick in this draft.

At the end of the day, teams drafting in the top 10 are probably drafting for upside. Cody looks to have as much upside as just about anyone in this draft. Someone is about to draft Tidjane Salaun based on his perceived upside as well, when Salaun hasn't actually done much if anything that Kevin Knox can't do. Such is life, when you're chasing upside.
 
Last edited:
I keep hearing that Dillingham is too small. Mike Conley has had a great career as another tiny point guard so I wanted to compare their combine measurements. Interesting.

1718147352037.png
1718147396186.png
1718147449741.png
 
Cody Williams was consensus top 4 on several draft sites (incl. NbaDraftroom, Yahoo and Rafael Barlowe's NBA BigBoard), along with Sarr, Risacher and Topic up until late January or early February.
Then Cody had injury issues.
Then the UK guards gained prominence.
Then Buzelis had a handful of better games.
Then the UConn guys had their post-season run.

See where Cody goes in this draft. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it to #10.
Let's operate in the present
 
Top