What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

1711476585697.png
1711476614944.png

Furphy vs Williams. (per 40)

The funniest thing about Cody Williams to me is that he's billed as a point forward (even a PG by Givony!) yet he only averaeged 2.2 APG on a pretty offensively talented Colorado team (he was 6th in APG on the team).

Last edited:
Vecenie did a youtube mockdraft with his co-host and he says he likes Castle better than Cody Williams. Picked Castle for the Jazz over Cody and I agree 100%.
I always enjoy listening to a mock draft where people are able to explain their reasoning well even if I may not agree with all their choices. I thought the reasoning for Castle was sound and I’m completely on board with that pick. I’d also be happy if we’d try to move up a few spots to get him. Of course there are some concerns, mostly about his shooting, but there’s no prospect this year that doesn’t come with caveats. Vecenie wasn’t even too concerned about the shooting. Castle is just a type of player I like, so maybe I’m rating him too highly because of that, but he’s my nr. 1 guy for our pick right now.

I always enjoy listening to a mock draft where people are able to explain their reasoning well even if I may not agree with all their choices. I thought the reasoning for Castle was sound and I’m completely on board with that pick. I’d also be happy if we’d try to move up a few spots to get him. Of course there are some concerns, mostly about his shooting, but there’s no prospect this year that doesn’t come with caveats. Vecenie wasn’t even too concerned about the shooting. Castle is just a type of player I like, so maybe I’m rating him too highly because of that, but he’s my nr. 1 guy for our pick right now.
To expound on this a little bit, I always tend to favor guys that go hard on defense. It should be a basic skill, but these days it no longer seems to be. Players who do have it tend to bring more than just defense, they bring intangibles and an attitude that can help a team in more ways than one. And defense is a bankable skill not susceptible to hot streaks or slumps.
And like most people I also favor players with size that can handle and create to some degree.
With Castle showing ability in both these areas, I’m not going to dwell too much on the shooting concerns. There’s enough in the package to have me excited. A guy like Herb Jones came into the league with big defensive credentials, but concerns about his shooting dropped him in the second round. He quickly established himself as a valuable player with the skills he did have though. And he’s also shooting over 40% from 3 now a few seasons later.

It is so dumb that it legit gets me more intrigued with Matas. WWE style trash talking is apparently a bonus for me.

Buzelis would have a case here if he didn't shoot under 30% from 3pt all year. Still, it shows some political savvy from Buzelis' camp. Buzelis has nothing to lose by doing something like that.

Last edited:
I liked Risacher and was interested in him early on. I still like him. However, I thought the Jazz would be drafting in the 6 - 8 range and thought Risacher would be a good pick for them there. I would not be comfortable taking Risacher #1 unless I thought he could play on the ball regularly. If he can't beat guys off the dribble and create for himself and others, then he's mostly a big 3D wing. He does add value with his drives and passing, but it wouldn't normally be enough to make him a #1 pick.

At the end of the day, I'd be a bit surprised if he actually gets selected #1.

Last edited:
My brother you are the one who compared him to Penny Hardaway which is just as outlandish.

I would have been talking about his role playing as a big, athletic, on-ball guard, not as a guy who was going to be a top MVP candidate at the height of his career. I think he has some All Star potential, but he' at least a couple years away from it.

Last edited:
I would have been talking about his role playing as a big, athletic, on-ball guard, not as a guy who was going to be a top MVP candidate at the height of his career. I think he has some All Star potential, but he' at least a couple years away from it.
He’s two years away from being two years away.

been watching a lot of Castle videos today and anyone else notice he is what I would call a heavy jumper. Not explosive but he has some advanced moves inside. His jumper is OK-looking and could get better but I agree he does seem to try on defense. He is gaining some favor for the Jazz pick from me.

I think his playing on a loaded UConn team with plenty of upperclassmen helps.

been watching a lot of Castle videos today and anyone else notice he is what I would call a heavy jumper. Not explosive but he has some advanced moves inside. His jumper is OK-looking and could get better but I agree he does seem to try on defense. He is gaining some favor for the Jazz pick from me.

I think his playing on a loaded UConn team with plenty of upperclassmen helps.

Inside the top 10, Castle is probably the guy I don't want. However, this in and of itself seems to increase the likelihood that the Jazz will draft him.

If I were the Jazz and all my targets were gone by #9, I might try to trade back with New Orleans for #14 and #23. I'd be looking for Chomche (watch him rise), Filipowski or Tyler Smith at #14, then BPA at #23. It's possible that Collier, Castle or Knecht would also be there at #14.

Inside the top 10, Castle is probably the guy I don't want. However, this in and of itself seems to increase the likelihood that the Jazz will draft him.

If I were the Jazz and all my targets were gone by #9, I might try to trade back with New Orleans for #14 and #23. I'd be looking for Chomche (watch him rise), Filipowski or Tyler Smith at #14, then BPA at #23. It's possible that Collier, Castle or Knecht would also be there at #14.
Not a bad plan. Would be crazy to have 4 picks in the draft. I guess it would be #9 and #28 or #31 for #14 and #23.

Like all drafts there are getting to be a lot of players i am liking.

With 9 there are a bunch.

With the #28 and #31 i am solid on Holmes and Kolek. I like De Silva, Simpson, Furphy. George, Scheierman, jones.

I don't like the example you gave, but might be a good draft to trade back and take multiple tries at drafting.