What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Watched both games last night. Thought Clingan looked the best out of any of the prospects. He’s a really safe pick. Going to be a good defender, probably not going to expand his offensive game much or be an elite rim runner. Kinda clumsy around the hoop. Not an elite athlete.

Castle had a really good game, but it’s so obvious he can’t shoot right now. Made plays and UConn had some nice adjustments when Bama abandoned him….but his shot is really a limiting factor right. Still think he’s very likely to be a useful player on the NBA. Super smart and does a lot of things to help the team win. Bruce Brown style.

Sears can really hoop, he’s sooo small though.

Edey had good numbers, did not think it was the best look for him. Looked slow and methodical out there. This game really highlighted how different the college game is. Don’t think his post up game will translate. I think he has his merits, great hands + touch around the basket. But his dominance on the college game is just so antithetical to how the NBA game is played.
Burns is kind of a hard matchup because you aren't going to move a guy who is the same weight as you with a lower center of gravity.

The Clingan matchup will be fascinating because Clingan is is the kind of center Edey will have to play against at the NBA level

Burns is kind of a hard matchup because you aren't going to move a guy who is the same weight as you with a lower center of gravity.

The Clingan matchup will be fascinating because Clingan is is the kind of center Edey will have to play against at the NBA level

Burns wasn’t always guarding him. NC state was able to muck things up just by doing a lot of stunts/digs on Edey. He’s not a ball handler or quick decision maker. In the NBA, the entire offense won’t be about passing it to him 5 feet away from the hoop. It just won’t fly. He will have different kinds of opportunities to score…but it definitely won’t be the same.

Burns wasn’t always guarding him. NC state was able to muck things up just by doing a lot of stunts/digs on Edey. He’s not a ball handler or quick decision maker. In the NBA, the entire offense won’t be about passing it to him 5 feet away from the hoop. It just won’t fly. He will have different kinds of opportunities to score…but it definitely won’t be the same.
He will probably have to prove himself in the NBA off duck ins to the front of the rim and work his way from there until a team trust him to do more.

And he still broke the game open through his passing out of double teams. He's not hyper instinctual, but he takes what the defense gives him. And I still think he's way better at passing out of the post than most players and he's very young in terms of basketball experience.

The thing that confuses my brain on Clingan is how awkward he looks for how athletic he is.

He just looks awkward AF, but he actually has impressive recovery speed? Is there some hidden athleticism when he matures into his body? He's just so uncoordinated that I don't have high hopes for his offensive game expansion and he's a worse jumper than Walker is, who is already very mediocre for a rim runner
I wouldn’t call him uncoordinated.

He will probably have to prove himself in the NBA off duck ins to the front of the rim and work his way from there until a team trust him to do more.

And he still broke the game open through his passing out of double teams. He's not hyper instinctual, but he takes what the defense gives him. And I still think he's way better at passing out of the post than most players and he's very young in terms of basketball experience.
He did have 5 turnovers. It wasn’t the best look for him.

Non Zach Edey players on Purdue shot 31% and they still won by 13 because of Edeys dominance in all facets of the game. I would call it a good look
He’s just so slow with all of his movements. With the speed of the NBA game and better defenders he will have to improve on that.

Yeah cuz that would be a good performance and it's like good performances are what dictate who is good and not good.

Also what is this recency bias? We have been pimping Castle for a minute now.

Not like this. Jazz twitter is going off about how we need to move up in the lottery to have a chance at getting him, how some people would take him number 1, etc. Castle is literally the only 1st-round guard prospect getting TV coverage right now and the hype is getting out of control.

Meanwhile, I just saw a Wizards fan saying he likes Castle because he reminds him of Johnny Davis.

Last edited:
To me Castle has a bunch of pathways to being a good player because he's a winning player who plays hard, has a high IQ and has great size for a versatile guard who can play up or down a position.

This draft absolutely 100% is a dumpster fire so a guy like Castle stands out like crazy because there just aren't any guys with that combo in this draft.

And the absolute gall of someone to poopoo Castle for being a 4th option (on UConn) when they were making weekly nut post about Cody Williams, a fifth option on a bubble team.

First of all, Castle is a guard who a) isn't a lead ball handler, b) doesn't create an advantage when he does have the ball, c) turns down open shots to try to drive the ball into traffic, d) isn't going to be bigger or more athletic than other guys he's on the floor with. He defends and he's a ball mover, but he doesn't even have role on a competitive NBA team right now other than as a defensive backup 2/3. If that's the type of player you want to develop with the hope that he becomes a smaller version of Jimmy Butler one day, then go ahead. That outcome probably has about a 10% chance, and a player like that isn't a top-5 pick in this or any draft.

With Cody Williams, earlier in the season he was Colorado's lead ball handler. He could self-create and beat multiple defenders, scoring from different angles in a variety of situations. He led his team in scoring in several games. He has an elite finish percentage at the rim. He took and made open 3s at an efficient clip. His length and mobility gave him defensive presence guarding 1 - 3. He's got the right combination of a NBA tools, NBA skillset and position in the league. He injured his ankle mid-way during the season and was just starting to regain his confidence when CU's season ended.

Once the smoke clears and teams go through their pre-draft process, Williams is very likely to end up in the top 5 or 6 on a lot of teams' draft boards.

Last edited:
First of all, Castle is a guard who a) isn't a lead ball handler, b) doesn't create an advantage when he does have the ball, c) turns down open shots to try to drive the ball into traffic, d) isn't going to be bigger or more athletic than other guys he's on the floor with. He defends and he's a ball mover, but he doesn't even have role on a competitive NBA team right now other than as a defensive backup 2/3. If that's the type of player you want to develop with the hope that he becomes a smaller version of Jimmy Butler one day, then go ahead. That outcome probably has about a 10% chance, and a player like that isn't a top-5 pick in this or any draft.

With Cody Williams, earlier in the season he was Colorado's lead ball handler. He could self-create and beat multiple defenders, scoring from different angles in a variety of situations. He led his team in scoring in several games. He has an elite finish percentage at the rim. He took and made open 3s at an efficient clip. His length and mobility gave him defensive presence guarding 1 - 3. He's got the right combination of a NBA tools, NBA skillset and position in the league. He injured his ankle mid-way during the season and was just starting to regain his confidence when CU's season ended.

Once the smoke clears and teams go through their pre-draft process, Williams is very likely to end up in the top 5 or 6 on a lot of teams' draft boards.
Castle dealt with a knee injury...

Ok starting to come around on Yang. I didn't realize he was such a good passer. Jokic has shown the advantage of a big who can pass.

Was just thinking of what kind of player you could get if you combined Castle and Knecht? Superstar???

Castle and Knecht are on top of my wish list.

Mentality stuff is nice, but I think it’s reflected on the court. Don’t need to read news articles about it. Remember when Scoot was said to have a legendary mentality that excused his poor play. You will probably never hear about most guys with a strong mentality.