What's new

2026 pick watch and options

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
We’ve got two pick swaps with Minnesota and Cleveland that year. Thanks to everyone who clarified in the other thread that OKC pick is top 10 next year and top 8 in 2026. This could be a disaster if we don’t have a pick in 2026 and lose out on two swaps. The direction we’re headed there are no guarantees. Worst case scenario we’ll probably have to send some kind of sweetener to OKC to allow us to retain the pick in the event that we find ourselves having to convey in ‘26.

We’ve got two pick swaps with Minnesota and Cleveland that year. Thanks to everyone who clarified in the other thread that OKC pick is top 10 next year and top 8 in 2026. This could be a disaster if we don’t have a pick in 2026 and lose out on two swaps. The direction we’re headed there are no guarantees. Worst case scenario we’ll probably have to send some kind of sweetener to OKC to allow us to retain the pick in the event that we find ourselves having to convey in ‘26.
Utah can swing a quick deal with OKC anytime to get those protections off the pick or get it back. I wouldn't worry about that.

I guess I don't know the exact rules about those swaps and how they impact the trade with OKC.

Which one goes in effect first? The swaps or the trade? For example - lets say MIN gets the no. 5 pick... the Jazz no 10... do we first check if our pick is in the top 8 so we convey it to OKC, thus we keep our pick and then we swap up? Or do we have to do the swap first, thus conveying the pick to OKC?

I guess I don't know the exact rules about those swaps and how they impact the trade with OKC.

Which one goes in effect first? The swaps or the trade? For example - lets say MIN gets the no. 5 pick... the Jazz no 10... do we first check if our pick is in the top 8 so we convey it to OKC, thus we keep our pick and then we swap up? Or do we have to do the swap first, thus conveying the pick to OKC?
I seriously doubt the swaps can save us like that. I think its based on where our pick is. I am not sure there is an easy way to find out.

Utah can swing a quick deal with OKC anytime to get those protections off the pick or get it back. I wouldn't worry about that.
Presti ain't giving it for nothing. He won't just amend those protections for free.

I doubt Minny or Cleveland are bottom 10 teams in 2026... they could be sure but I doubt it. Even if Don asks out they would likely trade him and get something back that helps smooth that over. I don't think we should worry about this nearly as much as some online are. The most likely outcome imo as we sit is we wouldn't use the swap anyway.

But... what a dumb *** trade we made... yeesh.

I seriously doubt the swaps can save us like that. I think its based on where our pick is. I am not sure there is an easy way to find out.
The swap can only happen if we have either conveyed a pick before '26 or if it's 9-30. If we don't give up a pick in '24 or '25 and it's 1-8 in '26, nothing happens.

The swap can only happen if we have either conveyed a pick before '26 or if it's 9-30. If we don't give up a pick in '24 or '25 and it's 1-8 in '26, nothing happens.
right.

I doubt Minny or Cleveland are bottom 10 teams in 2026... they could be sure but I doubt it. Even if Don asks out they would likely trade him and get something back that helps smooth that over. I don't think we should worry about this nearly as much as some online are. The most likely outcome imo as we sit is we wouldn't use the swap anyway.

But... what a dumb *** trade we made... yeesh.

This could have been avoided if we gave Favors/Clarkson about 500k less than we did combined LMAO.

We can only swap if we own the pick, so if we have #8 and MIN #6, we can swap. If we have any pick 9-30, we cannot swap. That is how it is written out here:

This could have been avoided if we gave Favors/Clarkson about 500k less than we did combined LMAO.
Don't you even dare suggest they messed the math up...

Spoiler - they messed the math up.

We can only swap if we own the pick, so if we have #8 and MIN #6, we can swap. If we have any pick 9-30, we cannot swap. That is how it is written out here:

What happens if we have pick 20 and MIN has pick 10? Do OKC get MIN's pick or ours? Can we get something out of OKC for enforcing the swap? Or can we get something from MIN for not enforcing the swap?

What happens if we have pick 20 and MIN has pick 10? Do OKC get MIN's pick or ours? Can we get something out of OKC for enforcing the swap?

If we have any pick between 9-30, MIN and CLE have no obligation to swap their picks. So OKC would get 20 and MIN keeps 10 in that scenario.

If we have any pick between 9-30, MIN and CLE have no obligation to swap their picks. So OKC would get 20 and MIN keeps 10 in that scenario.
I guess what would hurt the most is us missing on super high pick(MIN or CLE) while our pick conveys. I have no idea why we would want to not convey it this year. This draft seems SO BAD. I haven't watched a ton, but the little I've seen is so underwhelming. Topic top 3 in the draft? Are we freaking serious? Risacher top 3? The guy that spend whole quarters without touching the ball on an youth team last summer? Sarr potential no. 1 pick?!??!?!!?