What's new

2nd Round Pick Success Rate

Coach Ellis

Considering the number of picks that the Jazz have coming up, I decided to take a look at successful 2nd round picks and try to get an idea of what factors the Jazz should be looking for. I wanted to see if the picks they have this year (#42 & #54) are worth using, or if they should trade up. I also wanted to see if my impression that older players make more successful 2nd round picks was accurate. I went back to 2006, since that was the first year after they stopped letting kids jump strait from high school to the draft. The year before, there were 3 longtime NBA players (C. J. Miles, Monta Ellis and Andray Blatche) that came directly from high school and were picked in the 2nd round.

Over the nine years that I used, I found 44 players that I consider either as starters or key reserves. Of those players, five are All-Stars caliber players - Paul Millsap, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Goran Dragic and Draymond Green. And fourteen others are what I would consider highly capable, starter caliber players - Nikola Pekovic, Mario Chalmers, Omer Asik, Patrick Beverley, Danny Green, Hassan Whiteside, Lance Stephenson, Chandler Parsons, Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Ray McCallum, K. J. McDaniels and Jordan Clarkson. Everyone else, I considered as key reserves, or career backups.

Seniors (16) and Juniors (13) make up the majority of the players that have been successful (66%), while there were about the same number of International players (8) as there were Sophomores (4) and Freshmen (3) combined.

Of the 19 "High Level Players" that I identified, twelve were drafted before pick #42, while seven were taken with pick #42 or later. There were only six players out of the whole group who were picked after #54, and only two of them (Isaiah Thomas and Ramon Sessions) have been high level starters.

Before 42 - Nikola Pekovic (31), Mario Chalmers (34), DeAndre Jordan (35), Omer Asik (36), Hassan Whiteside (33), Lance Stephenson (40), Chandler Parsons (38), Jae Crowder (34), Draymond Green (35), Khris Middleton (39), Ray McCallum (36) and K. J. McDaniels (32)

42 or later - Paul Millsap (47), Marc Gasol (48), Goran Dragic (45), Patrick Beverley (42), Danny Green (46), Isaiah Thomas (60) and Jordan Clarkson (46).

My overall impression after going through the last 9 years of 2nd round draft picks. . .
  • The Jazz can get a decent player at #42 if they keep that pick, but they greatly improve their likelihood of getting a good player if they trade up.
  • International players are hard to figure out. Most of them don't ever come over, but some of the best players drafted in the 2nd round (Marc Gasol, Goran Dragic, Nikola Pekovic, Omar Asik and Patrick Beverley) were all playing in Europe when they were drafted.
  • A lot of troubled players get picked in the 2nd round. I think that it's a pretty good spot to take a chance on a player with some question marks.
  • The #54 pick has almost no value at all. If they don't trade up with it, then they should just use it on their highest rated international player and then hope to use their rights as a trade chip down the road.
  • Players I'm taking a closer look at for the late 1st / early 2nd round - PG: Delon Wright, PF: Chris McCullough, PF: Cliff Alexander, C/PF: Mouhammadou Jaiteh, PG: George De Paula, SF/SG: Timothe Luwawu, C: Dakari Johnson, C/PF: Rakeem Christmas, PG: Terry Rozier, SG: Michael Qualls and SG: Tyler Harvey. These guys all seem to be players who could be worth drafting in that range.

(32) PF: Steve Novak - Marquette (Senior)
(47) PF: Paul Millsap - Louisiana Tech (Junior)
(50) C: Ryan Hollins - UCLA (Senior)

(35) PF: Glen "Big Baby" Davis - LSU (Junior)
(37) PF: Josh McRoberts - Duke (Sophomore)
(48) C: Marc Gasol - International
(56) PG: Ramon Sessions - Nevada (Junior)

(31) C: Nikola Pekovic - International
(34) PG: Mario Chalmers - Kansas (Junior)
(35) C: DeAndre Jordan - Texas A&M (Freshman)
(36) C: Omer Asik - International
(37) SF: Luc Mbah a Moute - UCLA (Junior)
(45) PG: Goran Dragic - International

(37) PF: DeJuan Blair - Pittsburgh (Sophomore)
(39) PF: Jonas Jerebko - International
(41) SG: Jodie Meeks - Kentucky (Junior)
(42) PG: Patrick Beverley - Arkansas/Greek club (Junior)
(44) SF: Chase Budinger - Arizona (Junior)
(46) SG: Danny Green - North Carolina (Senior)
(55) PG: Patty Mills - St. Mary's (Sophomore)

(33) C: Hassan Whiteside - Marshall (Freshman)
(40) SG: Lance Stephenson - Cincinnati (Freshman)
(55) PF: Jeremy Evans - Western Kentucky (Senior)

(31) SG: Bojan Bogdanovic - International
(33) SF: Kyle Singler - International
(38) SF: Chandler Parsons - Florida (Senior)
(50) PF: Lavoy Allen - Temple (Senior)
(55) SG: E'Twaun Moore - Purdue (Senior)
(60) PG: Isaiah Thomas - Washington (Junior)

(34) SF: Jae Crowder - Marquette (Senior)
(35) PF: Draymond Green - Michigan State (Senior)
(39) SG: Khris Middleton - Texas A&M (Junior)
(48) SF: Kostas Papanikolaou - International
(49) PF: Kyle O'Quinn - Norfolk State (Senior)
(60) C: Robert Sacre - Gonzaga (Senior)

(34) PG: Isaiah Canaan - Murray State (Senior)
(36) PG: Ray McCallum, Jr. - Detroit (Junior)
(39) C: Jeff Withey - Kentucky (Senior)
(44) C: Mike Muscala - Bucknell (Senior)
(50) SF: James Ennis - Long Beach State (Senior)

(32) SF: K. J. McDaniels - Clemson (Junior)
(34) SF: Cleanthony Early - Wichita State (Senior)
(39) SF: Jerami Grant - Syracuse (Sophomore)
(46) PG: Jordan Clarkson - Missouri (Junior)

Undrafted players 2006 - 2014

(2006) SF: Chris Copeland - Colorado (Senior)
(2006) PG: C. J. Watson - Tennessee (Senior)
(2007) SG: Gary Neal - Towson/Europe
(2008) C: Timofey Mozgov - International
(2009) SG: Wesley Matthews - Marquette (Senior)
(2010) PG: Jeremy Lin -Harvard (Senior)
(2010) SG: Elijah Millsap - UAB (Senior)
(2010) SG: Alexey Shved - International
(2012) SG: Kent Bazemore - Old Dominion (Senior)
(2013) PG: Matthew Dellavedova - St. Mary's (Senior)
(2013) SF: Robert Covington - Tennessee State (Senior)
(2014) PG: Langston Galloway - St. Joseph's (Senior)

Great job, Ellis. Good players CAN be found in the 2nd round,,,even late. Yes, it's harder; but that is pretty logical. Draft someone with an elite skill or elite size and hope he develops. And don't forget to add Tomic to that list after he wins ROY this season!

nice work, but I wouldn't be adding 2014 drafted guys as successes yet. Clarkson looked good on a really bad team. kind of like how MCW did.

Boozer says what up???
carlos-boozer-utah-jazz.jpg

nice work, but I wouldn't be adding 2014 drafted guys as successes yet. Clarkson looked good on a really bad team. kind of like how MCW did.

That's true. I really just wanted to show about where contributors were being drafted. While I don't suggest they are great players, I think that the future looks pretty good for the 4 guys I mentioned. Even if they get bumped back to the bench, they all should get minutes moving forward.

I like Tyler Harvey. he could play a cj McCullom type of role for the jazz. I think in snyders system he can play the pg since hood and or burks are going to be handling.

I just love offense a minute guys like vezenkov. he might learn enough defense not to suck to bad.

mccollough is the type of player to gamble on or Alexander.

I like Tyler Harvey. he could play a cj McCullom type of role for the jazz.

mccollough is the type of player to gamble on or Alexander.
Tyler Harvey is a guy that I'm really intrigued by based on scoring potential alone. If he goes undrafted, I hope he gets invited to Summer League.

McCollough is intriguing, but I'm wary of guys starting their careers with knee injuries.

Cliff Alexander puzzles me. I don't follow college basketball until late in the season, so I had no idea how far he's fallen in the draft rankings from high school. I'm wondering why that is. Hopefully others have a better idea.

He was considered up there with Okafor and Towns, but had a disappointing freshman year, he struggled with minor injuries and got caught up in a scandal because of poor choices someone else made and was suspended. Is there something else I'm missing? Granted, he doesn't look to be in as good of shape as I'd want a top 5 player to be. . . but from everything I've seen, he's talented, physical and driven. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder. And while I can sense an undercurrent of frustration at his situation, by all accounts, he cooperated with the NCAA investigation, took his suspension without complaining, and has seemed mature and well spoken in the interviews I've seen.

So why is he in the conversation for mid round 2? Seems like he could be a swing for the fences, boom or bust type of pick. Very DeAndre Jordam or Hassan Whiteside.

I like Michael Frazier. Good shooter, decent athlete, active defender. I also liked Joe Young. That kid has some fire.

Yeah, right, until we draft a guy in the second round. Then we hope and pray he's anywhere close to that good.

We did. His name was Paul Millsap. Then we lost him. Sad.

A. If Tomic comes over, it's going to be a helluva lot of fun watching him play in the Rising Stars game with a bunch of kids. Kind of hoping this happens AND that Jingles gets an invite also as a 2nd year player. That would be so funny.

B. The talent pool usually starts to dry up around 35-40. Jazz have to scout their asses off to find a guy that will ever contribute. Of the players that I'm now looking at for the 2nd round, the ones that intrigue me most are George Lucas De Paula (his length and defensive footwork are very Dante-esque), Mouhammadou Jaiteh (who had some 1st round grades back in 2013), Cliff Alexander (who was considered a top 5 pick until his disastrous freshman year at Kansas) and Chris McCullough (who I don't think would have been available this late minus his knee injury).

A. If Tomic comes over, it's going to be a helluva lot of fun watching him play in the Rising Stars game with a bunch of kids. Kind of hoping this happens AND that Jingles gets an invite also as a 2nd year player. That would be so funny.

B. The talent pool usually starts to dry up around 35-40. Jazz have to scout their asses off to find a guy that will ever contribute. Of the players that I'm now looking at for the 2nd round, the ones that intrigue me most are George Lucas De Paula (his length and defensive footwork are very Dante-esque), Mouhammadou Jaiteh (who had some 1st round grades back in 2013), Cliff Alexander (who was considered a top 5 pick until his disastrous freshman year at Kansas) and Chris McCullough (who I don't think would have been available this late minus his knee injury).

Ingles probably won't even get minutes on this team next year if we draft a wing player, which is about 50% likely.

Ingles probably won't even get minutes on this team next year if we draft a wing player, which is about 50% likely.

I wouldn't count out Jingles just yet. Even if we do draft a wing, he's a glue guy who makes things happen and shot the ball extremely well.

I'm all for drafting a wing (and have been on the Stanley Johnson bandwagon for awhile now). . . but I bet Joe finds a way to get on the floor. Wouldn't surprise me to see Snyder start spreading minutes around and resting guys on back to backs - long established strategy by Pops.

Great job, Ellis. Good players CAN be found in the 2nd round,,,even late. Yes, it's harder; but that is pretty logical. Draft someone with an elite skill or elite size and hope he develops. And don't forget to add Tomic to that list after he wins ROY this season!

Agreed. And with that said, I have complete faith in the front office and their collective skill in finding 2nd round players.