What's new

3-1 pick and roll w/ Hayward and Burke

Darkwing Duck

Anyone else notice the Jazz doing this to try to get Hayward on the opposing team's PG? And it's Burke setting the screen. This a LeBron play, too. LeBron would be the ball handler and Mario Chalmers would set the screen. The few times I remember the play usually resulted in Hayward bullying his way to that ten foot paint jumper that I don't think he's missed in that situation. Great use of Hayward.

I did see Memphis not switch the second time the Jazz use this play. Surprised Hayward. End of clock situation, so Hayward was going iso regardless, but it would be interesting to see how the Jazz play it when teams don't switch it.

Yep, and another pick and roll I saw several times is Hayward setting the screen on the pick'n'roll with the same objective in mind - switching the PG to guard Hayward...

Anyone else notice the Jazz doing this to try to get Hayward on the opposing team's PG? And it's Burke setting the screen. This a LeBron play, too. LeBron would be the ball handler and Mario Chalmers would set the screen. The few times I remember the play usually resulted in Hayward bullying his way to that ten foot paint jumper that I don't think he's missed in that situation. Great use of Hayward.

I did see Memphis not switch the second time the Jazz use this play. Surprised Hayward. End of clock situation, so Hayward was going iso regardless, but it would be interesting to see how the Jazz play it when teams don't switch it.

Why not just do it until either 1) they switch, or 2) there is a clear opening to drive/shoot.

Why not just do it until either 1) they switch, or 2) there is a clear opening to drive/shoot.

In a normal setting, fine, but a couple times, it was end of clock situations and the Jazz wanted the last shot. They did it with 8-9 on the clock, go the switch, and Hayward went to work at 4-5.