What's new

32 days 'till camp

mellow

Karl-Malone-e1322600881217.jpg

Honors: NBA MVP (1997, '99); 11-time All-NBA First Team (1988-1999); All-NBA Second Team (1988, 2000); All-Defensive First Team (1997-99); All-Defensive Second Team (1988); 14-time All-Star (1988-98, 2000-02); NBA All-Rookie Team (1985); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Two-time Olympic gold medalist (1992, '96); Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2010.

Like most great men, Karl Malone was ahead of his time. He came into a league full of lanky ploders and out ran them, or ran over them. Karl made it look so easy, no need for a dream shake or pounding the hardwood with the ball, just get the ball in the post pivot left, put his shoulder into the guys chest, then bring up the elbow for good measure. If the guy couldn't take the punishment, and stepped back Karl slammed it on him. If the guy didn't step back it didn't matter 'cause Karl had created enough space for his unique one handed kind of hook shot, or more likely the one foot fall away jumper.

In his early days Karl ran the floor exceptionally well. He looked like a deer jumping out and beating everyone down the floor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragment Cyrone, I will redouble my efforts to make more of these stupid threads, and include more stupid content.

2011-2012 was the Jazz's 32nd season in Utah.

Jazz have never had the 32nd pick in any draft.

Tyrone Corbin had 32 blocks for the Jazz in 92-93, his best season was 53 in 1990 with Minnesota.

In 93-94 Tom Chambers had 32 blocks for the Jazz. Tom Chambers signed a two year deal to play with the Jazz in August of 1993. Chambers also played for the jazz in 94-95, but his minutes were down. He retired as a 20,000 point NBA scorer. He was 35, but John Stockton was only 32, Stockton had 1011 Assists that season, it was his 7th and last time he would record more than 1,000 assists.

John Brown was the only other Jazz man to ever wear the number 32. He played 4 games for the Jazz in the 79-80 season and failed to record a fg in 7 tries.

February 2, 1995 the Houston Rockets beat the jazz 121 to 101 to end the Jazz winning streak at 14 (is this the longest winning streak?) Houston beat the jazz by pounding it into Hakeem (41 pts) or passing around the perimiter. Houston had 32 assists in the game compared to just 19 for the Jazz.

the jazz could have drafted magic johnson (whose #32 is retired by the lakers) with the first overall pick, but they had given their unrestricted pick to the lakers as compensation for signing free agent gail goodrich, who turned 32 in his final laker season. his career minute average was 32.5. magic went on to have a long career with several all-star appearances, the last of which was his all-star MVP performance when he was 32.

so that's the story.... tragic.

did the Jazz win a lottery just to give up the pick?
Did they finish last the prior season?

so that's the story.... tragic.

did the Jazz win a lottery just to give up the pick?
Did they finish last the prior season?

This was before the lottery was established. I believe the 2 worst teams just flipped a coin for the top pick, meaning the Jazz would have been one of those teams.

The Jazz were 26-56 in the 1978-79 season, good for worst in the league. The Bulls got the #2 pick, so maybe the coin flip was between the worst team in each conference.

These threads are better than most (if not all) of the trade threads. Especially the ones asking about trades that would never realistically be offered.

To each his own I guess. Although you never really know what trades will be offered until they are completed in the Jazz neck of the woods. I enjoy trade threads and like to see how other people would change the team if they called the shots. But I don't enjoy reading random fact that have to to with the number of days until camp starts. It just drags this ish out longer than I would like

the jazz could have drafted magic johnson (whose #32 is retired by the lakers) with the first overall pick, but they had given their unrestricted pick to the lakers as compensation for signing free agent gail goodrich, who turned 32 in his final laker season. his career minute average was 32.5. magic went on to have a long career with several all-star appearances, the last of which was his all-star MVP performance when he was 32.
I still don't understand this... they gave up a top pick to sign somebody 32 years old, seriously? Sounds like the whole league has [always] been rigged to favor the Lakers theorists might be on to something. Maybe the deal was made years before?

I still don't understand this... they gave up a top pick to sign somebody 32 years old, seriously? Sounds like the whole league has [always] been rigged to favor the Lakers theorists might be on to something. Maybe the deal was made years before?
And now you know why teams put protection on picks. I don't think teams could do that back then.

Of course, the Clippers did something similar by giving the Cavs their unprotected pick in the Baron Davis/Mo Williams trade. Clips won the lottery from the 8th slot and Cleveland got to pick Irving.

But Stern bailed the Clippers out by nixing the Paul to Lakers trade, giving the Clippers Billups in an amnesty claim (it was suspected, but never proven that someone in the league office provided inside info on how much to bid). And, of course, with an extra guard in their pocket, the Clips could then include Gordon, who they were adamant in NOT trading, in the deal for CP3.

So yes, the league has always been rigged, especially under the direction of Herr Sloan.

Last edited:
Regardless , why would a bad team ever trade a 1st round pick for a past-his-prime player?
It just doesn't add up.
Why would they do this , get the player they wanted, and still be the worst team in the league.
What happened those years?

it was normal in those days for a team to have to offer compensation for signing another team's free agent. and goodrich was no slouch. he was a 5-time all-star, coming offa 19.5-ppg season (and 20+ in 6 of the previous 7). it was just an example of a team gambling the future on someone they thought could help them win now... we've seen plenty of teams stuck in that cycle.

and yeah, it was a few years before. it was in 1976 that the jazz signed him, and the pick wasn't conveyed until 1979, when magic was coming out and when the jazz were about to make their move to utah.

it was normal in those days for a team to have to offer compensation for signing another team's free agent. and goodrich was no slouch. he was a 5-time all-star, coming offa 19.5-ppg season (and 20+ in 6 of the previous 7). it was just an example of a team gambling the future on someone they thought could help them win now... we've seen plenty of teams stuck in that cycle.

and yeah, it was a few years before. it was in 1976 that the jazz signed him, and the pick wasn't conveyed until 1979, when magic was coming out and when the jazz were about to make their move to utah.

I read that the Jazz gave up picks in '76, '77 and '79 for Goodrich. I also read that the Jazz had the rights to Moses Malone when the ABA disbanded and that they put him in the dispersal draft pool to get the '77 pick used to get Goodrich. I'm not sure I believe that part because why would the Jazz have had the rights to Moses Malone?

I read that the Jazz gave up picks in '76, '77 and '79 for Goodrich. I also read that the Jazz had the rights to Moses Malone when the ABA disbanded and that they put him in the dispersal draft pool to get the '77 pick used to get Goodrich. I'm not sure I believe that part because why would the Jazz have had the rights to Moses Malone?

close on the goodrich part, correct on the moses part...

the jazz gave up a '77 first rounder, a '79 first rounder (magic) and an '80 second rounder as compensation to get goodrich.

then they were going to get moses malone, but made a deal with the league to instead place him into the merger dispersement draft in exchange for getting their '77 pick back. portland then traded him to buffalo, who only kept him for two games before trading him to houston, which was coached by nissalke, who had coached moses with the utah stars, so then he finally stayed put.

so if the jazz had been more patient and NOT signed goodrich, they feasibly could have kept moses AND drafted magic (although chances are that with moses they wouldn't have been in a position to select magic).

To each his own I guess. Although you never really know what trades will be offered until they are completed in the Jazz neck of the woods. I enjoy trade threads and like to see how other people would change the team if they called the shots. But I don't enjoy reading random fact that have to to with the number of days until camp starts. It just drags this ish out longer than I would like

There's this new invention called not opening a thread if you don't want to. You might be able to download the instructions off the internet.