What's new

5 year extension. Does it have to be for the max or not?

Lion's Roar

*edited first part of post cause of I was flat out wrong* *negative reps advised*

Note that the 5 year rule that I specify above is in respect of EXTENSIONS. If and when a rookie doesn't sign a contract extension and becomes a RFA he can be signed to 5 year contracts without this restriction. For instance, Pekovic was signed as a RFA, meaning his contract will be in effect in the following year, so he can sign and follow the FA rules. If Minny had signed him to the 5y contract last year his 1st year salary would have to be for the max cause he would become their "designated" player eligible for a 5y EXTENSION and Rubio could only be signed to a 4y contract extension as long as Pek was with the T-Wolves.

If the Jazz had waited for next summer they could sign both G and Favs to 5 y contracts without having to pay them the max in their 1st y of contract and without any of them being their "designated player".

Last edited:
I checked the CBA directly from NBA.com and indeed the 5y designated player rule establishes that the full 7.5% max annual raises are mandatory in such contracts.

Later figured out that Larry Coon's page that confused me had something written in the fine print at the bottom of the question. My bad

This is just impossible. There is no way the FO sees a future NC paying Hayward the max (unbelievable) and Favors $12MM+.

Right now this smells of the Utah Jazz... seize the moment to ensure long term mediocrity.

I think the jazz have a chance against kentucky so might as well max hayward and collect all the national championshipz
Hell we could definately get a few NIT chips

This is no joking matter, fish. Please report to the ugli forum to discuss go-forward steps in light of this info.
(I blame the SuLCers)