What's new

6 reasons why Memo will impact Jazz in 2011-2012?

Could Millsap and Jefferson stop anybody? Boozer and Okur won plenty of games, and I don't see how Jefferson and Okur would be much worse than that duo.

Teams that cant stop anyone (Like boozer and okur in the defensive end) can win games but they cant be contenders.
Millsap and Jefferson stop a little bit better, but they didnt have a good big man coming off the bench like millsap backed up boozer and memo. And honestly, Jefferson may be a good scorer but for a team to be contender with Jefferson on the line up, there should also be a stopper like Howard to compensate his defensive clumsiness

Teams that cant stop anyone (Like boozer and okur in the defensive end) can win games but they cant be contenders.
Millsap and Jefferson stop a little bit better, but they didnt have a good big man coming off the bench like millsap backed up boozer and memo. And honestly, Jefferson may be a good scorer but for a team to be contender with Jefferson on the line up, there should also be a stopper like Howard to compensate his defensive clumsiness

That's why I think Jefferson to Indiana makes some sense. Could play PF there along with Hibbert at center for a dominating front line. They have a dilemma with Danny Granger and Paul George both vying for SF minutes, and neither can really play another position.

I hope Memo leaves soon, for the sake of watching entertaining basketball

Im not a huge Memo fan, but reading this, I cant help but to defend him. I cant help but wonder, how long have you been watching the Jazz? Memo may not be able to dunk, but it was pretty exciting to watch your starting center drain 3's in a defenders face. When he was healthy, he was very exciting to watch.

Im not a huge Memo fan, but reading this, I cant help but to defend him. I cant help but wonder, how long have you been watching the Jazz? Memo may not be able to dunk, but it was pretty exciting to watch your starting center drain 3's in a defenders face. When he was healthy, he was very exciting to watch.

I 100% agree. Do you remember how many times Memo was money in the final 3 minutes in the 06-07 season? That was some of the most entertaining basketball I've ever seen. If he and DHarris get the pick and roll down, he'll be just fine.

Yes he has gotten slower, but if he can still shoot he can still contribute.

Last edited:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-okur-will-impact-the-utah-jazz-in-2010-2011

1 month old article, i just read it. I wonder what people thinks about Memo and his future with Jazz?

His presence may seem abundant while we have too many big men but i think these are quite legitimate reasons why would he stay with Jazz longer.

a·bun·dant   [uh-buhn-duhnt] Show IPA
adjective
1. present in great quantity; more than adequate; oversufficient: an abundant supply of water.
2. well supplied; abounding: a river abundant in salmon.
3. richly supplied: an abundant land.

or maybe

redundant (rɪˈdʌndənt)

— adj
1. surplus to requirements; unnecessary or superfluous
2. verbose or tautological
3. deprived of one's job because it is no longer necessary for efficient operation: he has been made redundant
4. (of components, information, etc) duplicated or added as a precaution against failure, error, etc

I've always considered Memo the reason Boozer was so good while in Utah. Stretching the Defense from the 5 does wonders, expecially when we don't have a 2 guard to do it. Now we don't have Memo but hopefully Hayward/Burks can step up to be that threat.
Memo's natural willingness to get out of Boozer's way offensively was one reason why Boozer was so good in Utah.

Offensively.

While Memo was an OK man-on defender, his lack of ability to be a legit help defender (or at least shot blocker) was also a reason that Boozer was so ineffective on defense.

(In 2009-2010, Williams-Matthews-Brewer-Boozer-Fesenko was the #2 most effective 5-man combination put on the court--further supporting the notion that huge 3-point shooting threat (not to mention a 6'11" 3-point shooting threat) wasn't necessary, and that a halfway ominous defensive threat in the middle was often all that was necessary to make the team better.)
https://www.82games.com/0910/0910UTA2.HTM
(BTW, *Williams-Matthews-Kirilenko-Millsap-Okur was the #1 most effective.
*Williams-Matthews-Miles-Boozer-Okur came in as a still-respectable #4, but at a significantly lower rate.)

With that being said, I think Memo is very important to Kanters development. With both of them being Turkish he has an instant relationship. For that reason alone he is a huge value to this team.
But far from an eight-figure value.

Kanter and the fact he looks at least a couple of seasons away (Hopefully anyways) , a healthy Memo is so important for the Jazz. He is a big time shooter and the fact that if he played for years next to anybody but Boozer his defensive short comings would not have been so noticable.

Yes, and we did better with Boozer and Okur than we did with Jefferson and Millsap.
That is the case partly because of a lot of variables--having Deron, a younger AK, Matthews, etc. Jefferson and Millsap had a new coach (equally ineffective at optimizing rotations), no Deron (for most of the year), a rookie SG/SF in Elder Hayward, and an aging Bell & AK.

Also, Big Al is 4 years younger than Boozer--and he started deciding to play defense more often sometime during last year. I'd say that Jefferson's upside is equal to or higher than Boozer's because AJ is a bit taller and potentially a better defender. Not as good a shooter/scorer yet.

In both scenarios, the Jazz would have done better if they had put a true center alongside any four of those guys more often. Given the bottleneck at the 4 spot (and the talent level of each of these PFs individually), it wouldn't have made sense to not play these pairs together at all, but an extra 10 MPG with someone who could actually control the key would've translated into more wins both last year and in the Boozakur era. Too often the paint was an Achilles' heel (er, elbow), causing the wings to be obliged--or instructed--to sag in, indirectly making the 3 point circle that much more vulnerable to opposing treys.

With a 4/5 rotation of Kanter, Favors, Jefferson, maybe Millsap, and an occasional Okur, perhaps Ty Corbin can find a combo that can actually score offensively and control the frontcourt defensively.

Last edited:
I think Kanter-Favors and Millsap-Jefferson should be the combos to play together with almost equal mins. Memo may enter whenever he is needed, like at the end of games or when we need 3s.

a·bun·dant   [uh-buhn-duhnt] Show IPA
adjective
1. present in great quantity; more than adequate; oversufficient: an abundant supply of water.
2. well supplied; abounding: a river abundant in salmon.
3. richly supplied: an abundant land.

or maybe

redundant (rɪˈdʌndənt)

— adj
1. surplus to requirements; unnecessary or superfluous
2. verbose or tautological
3. deprived of one's job because it is no longer necessary for efficient operation: he has been made redundant
4. (of components, information, etc) duplicated or added as a precaution against failure, error, etc

Pedant

a : one who makes a show of knowledge
b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge

***hole
a : someone being arrogant, rude, obnoxious, or just a total dickhead

Pedant

a : one who makes a show of knowledge
b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge

***hole
a : someone being arrogant, rude, obnoxious, or just a total dickhead
Hmmmm still not getting it (or Log's) is there any dictionaries that include lots and lots of pictures with the definitions?