What's new

87-88 Playoffs

jazzlurker

Am I wrong or does this playoff run feel similar to the 87-88 playoff series ending with defeat to the Lakers in 7?

Am I wrong or does this playoff run feel similar to the 87-88 playoff series ending with defeat to the Lakers in 7?

Same excitement, different results (so far).

I agree. Just scrolled down and saw this thread after posting something similar in another thread. This series could be for Rudy what 88 was for the Mailman. But realistically this is going to be a tough one.

I sure hope it's not like 87-88. I don't want the Jazz to take 9 years to make the Finals.

I remember going to game 3 of that series vs. the Lakers in the old Salt Palace with the Jazz tied 1-1. It was honestly the loudest sporting event I have ever been to in my life, even louder than the Delta Center in the 1997 NBA Finals (I went to Game 3 and 4 of that series as well). But yeah, that was the year when John Stockton and Karl Malone made themselves known around the league and became household names. I even remember Wilt Chamberlain being interviewed during one of the pregame shows during the Lakers series where he was asked what player he would choose to start a franchise, and he said "John Stockton". That was a huge compliment coming from one of the greatest players of all-time.

Even though the Jazz lost that series in 7 games, that was the series that really established the Jazz as a respected/elite NBA team. I'm hoping we do the same against the Warriors.

I remember going to game 3 of that series vs. the Lakers in the old Salt Palace with the Jazz tied 1-1. It was honestly the loudest sporting event I have ever been to in my life, even louder than the Delta Center in the 1997 NBA Finals (I went to Game 3 and 4 of that series as well). But yeah, that was the year when John Stockton and Karl Malone made themselves known around the league and became household names. I even remember Wilt Chamberlain being interviewed during one of the pregame shows during the Lakers series where he was asked what player he would choose to start a franchise, and he said "John Stockton". That was a huge compliment coming from one of the greatest players of all-time.

Even though the Jazz lost that series in 7 games, that was the series that really established the Jazz as a respected/elite NBA team. I'm hoping we do the same against the Warriors.

The Salt Palace had a lot of vibe. It was a great sports venue. I can still go back there in my mind, and relive it.