What's new

9/11/2010 Burn a Koran Day

An event that I'm sure will go further towards peace and understanding between cultures.

Surely no one in the United States would take it as evidence that an Islamic nation hated us if they held a "Burn a Bible Day."

TehJokerHeel can't wait for this day. Any chance to burn a book, ya know?!

If they ain't with us, they's aginst us. Now gimme my damn freedom fries! 'merica! Love it or leave it!

An event that I'm sure will go further towards peace and understanding between cultures.

Surely no one in the United States would take it as evidence that an Islamic nation hated us if they held a "Burn a Bible Day."

As opposed to all the American flags and presidents burned in effigy that I've seen over the years?

The hypocrisy of the Islamic world in this regard is mind boggling. Their response to even hearing that a koran might be burned is to trample a US flag on the ground, call for the death of America and then burn the flag. I'm at a loss to see how there is much difference.

As opposed to all the American flags and presidents burned in effigy that I've seen over the years?

The hypocrisy of the Islamic world in this regard is mind boggling. Their response to even hearing that a koran might be burned is to trample a US flag on the ground, call for the death of America and then burn the flag. I'm at a loss to see how there is much difference.

You're such a boob.

And, somehow, the way they're behaving makes it acceptable for us to act in the same manner?

I'm wondering if you agree with this statement...

How do you think Europe would have reacted 500 years ago if this was happening with a Bible?

Europe 500 years ago? Imagine the reaction in the South right now. Imagine the local reaction if they burned Books of Mormon. Burning a Quran insults every Muslim, not just the radical Islamists for whom the act was intended to offend.

The other consequence is that many of the Islamists take that **** seriously and my surprise level when I hear about Terry Jones being killed or the church being burned to the ground will be about equal to that of seeing the sun rise in the east. Maybe Rev. Jones can chat with Salman Rushdie to learn some new ways to hide and run for his life. He might as well draw Mohammed on a pig's body while he's at it.

Are there a large number of Americans who see their President as divinely appointed by God?

If the chruches in question were burning Iranian flags and/or Ahmadinejad in protest, would that be causing outrage in Yemen or Afghanistan?

Europe 500 years ago? Imagine the local reaction if they burned Books of Mormon.

Damn you are stupid. On HBO you can watch the whole temple ceremony in HD. That is probably a million times more offensive than burning Books of Mormon. But last time I checked I didnt see a plane full of missionaries slamming into HBO headquarters. There actually wasnt that much uproar here in Utah about it.

damn you are stupid. On hbo you can watch the whole temple ceremony in hd. That is probably a million times more offensive than burning books of mormon. But last time i checked i didnt see a plane full of missionaries slamming into hbo headquarters. There actually wasnt that much uproar here in utah about it.

lol, pwnt!

Burning a Quran insults every Muslim, not just the radical Islamists for whom the act was intended to offend.

Isn't every Christian insulted when a bible is burned regardless of why? Or every American when a the US flag is burned regardless of why?

The insult is there, but not everyone is offended.

Damn you are stupid. On HBO you can watch the whole temple ceremony in HD. That is probably a million times more offensive than burning Books of Mormon. But last time I checked I didnt see a plane full of missionaries slamming into HBO headquarters. There actually wasnt that much uproar here in Utah about it.

Honest question: Why is it offensive to depict the temple ceremony?

In any event, I think the implication of your statement (that Mormons are somehow more civil than followers of Islam) isn't well thought out. There's a lot of extra factors here including cultural norms, views about the role of church and state, and frankly issues relating to poverty and resource-dependence on religious organizations. Also, to pretend that the Church, especially the early church, was incapable of violence is either uneducated, deliberately misleading or both.

Certainly I don't think you can argue that burning the Koran has any productive value and can only be counterproductive. Would you agree with that?

I fully acknowledge that they have the right to do so.

My question that your statement dodges: Is it a good or prudent idea, from the perspective of international relations, national security, and America's image abroad, to condone or participate in the burning of Korans.

You seem to have completely omitted the possibility of taking the high road from your thinking.

From the perspective of a follower of Islam it could be very different. For example, one is the burning of a symbol of religion and God. The other is a symbol of a particular political territory. If you believe that God is above all political territories (as I suspect many religious people do) then burning a religious object is far more offensive.

That's neither here nor there, however. Even if everything you say is true, do you think it's a good idea to go around burning Korans?

Honest question: Why is it offensive to depict the temple ceremony?

It's considered sacred. It's asked not to be shared and depicted for respect of those who believe and find the ceremonies sacred.

That's the short answer.

Why can't cartoonist depict Muhammad in cartoons?