What's new

A day I shall never forget!!!

Zulu

Was heading to work at the Dairy Queen when I decided to stop listening to my Linkin Park CD (hybrid Theory) and see what the radio had to offer....

That's when I heard....

When I got to the DQ I told the other two employees there what had happened the drove back home to see my mom in tears in front of the TV...

I walked into a gas station as the second plane hit. The teller was watching a small television and she screamed. I at first thought she was watching some crappy action movie on TBS and so I found her reaction to be humorous. When I realized she was watching the news I was completely shocked.
I began asking myself questions

How did the pilot not see that building?
Did he pass out?
Was the plane out of control?

Within just a few seconds the now balling teller explained that it was the second plane to hit and that we must be under attack by somebody. At the time I worked for a municipality and they radioed for everyone to come in. When I returned to the shop I was informed that one of the towers had collapsed. I vividly remember huddling around a radio with a group of guys who all looked like they had just lost their innocence.

A day I shall never forget.

Last edited:
I walked into a gas station as the second plane hit. The teller was watching a small television and she screamed. I at first thought she was watching some crappy action movie on TBS and so I found her reaction to be humorous. When I realized she was watching the news I was completely shocked.
I began asking myself questions

How did the pilot not see that building?
Did he pass out?
Was the plane out of control?

Within just a few seconds the now balling teller explained that it was the second plane to hit and that we must be under attack by somebody. At the time I worked for a municipality and they radioed for everyone to come in. When I returned to the shop I was informed that one of the towers had collapsed. I vividly remembering huddling around a radio with a group of guys who all looked like they had just lost their innocence.

A day I shall never forget.

I was a little over 1 year into my 6 year Navy enlistment. I had evening training classes. My mom called me and told me I should turn on the news, that not one but two planes had hit the WTC. I was annoyed. I told her I was trying to sleep. I hung up and layed in bed for about 30 seconds before I had to get up, wondering what was going on. My wife was 8 months pregnant. It didn't take long to realize my son was going to be born into a world I wished didn't exist...

I was a little over 1 year into my 6 year Navy enlistment. I had evening training classes. My mom called me and told me I should turn on the news, that not one but two planes had hit the WTC. I was annoyed. I told her I was trying to sleep. I hung up and layed in bed for about 30 seconds before I had to get up, wondering what was going on. My wife was 8 months pregnant. It didn't take long to realize my son was going to be born into a world I wished didn't exist...

My wife was also about 8 months pregnant with our 4th. My daughter was born 2 weeks to the day after it happened.

I was working nights and had just gotten up and was getting ready for work, watching CNN. They broke to the story just after the first plane hit, and my wife and I watched throughout the entire horrid ordeal. We were simply stunned, and I felt numb for a few days after. I felt much the way GF did. I was wondering what kind of world my kids would inherit. But it has occurred to me since that in the end it depends as much on what they choose to do with that world, as what condition the world is in when they get it. So far my kids have given me hope.

But I still look at my daughter sometimes and remember her first months in the aftermath of that day. Still very sobering.

Talked with some of my students about 911... Most were either 5 or 6 years old....

How old were you Dal??

I was 10 days away from my 8th birthday, Zulu.

Sadly, I don't remember much about the significance of the attack-- all I remember is my classmates telling everyone that my uncle was one of the plane hi-jackers.

I went to a German Bilingual school, and I was the only Muslim in my class (probably one of the only ones in the entire school). I just remember being really angry about that-- but I never told my parents.

Growing up in that school after 9/11 was tough, sometimes. But I think that growing up in that environment has contributed so many positive things that are staples of my personality to this day-- that I wouldn't have traded it for any other upbringing.

/tl;dr, I don't really remember too much. I think I was pretty desensitized to war, or attacks, because CNN had been playing on our family TV ever since I can possibly remember-- this was because my parents were from Kosovo, and the Kosovo war was going on during the late 90s.

Sadly, I don't remember much about the significance of the attack-- all I remember is my classmates telling everyone that my uncle was one of the plane hi-jackers.

I went to a German Bilingual school, and I was the only Muslim in my class (probably one of the only ones in the entire school). I just remember being really angry about that-- but I never told my parents.

Growing up in that school after 9/11 was tough, sometimes. But I think that growing up in that environment has contributed so many positive things that are staples of my personality to this day-- that I wouldn't have traded it for any other upbringing.

/tl;dr, I don't really remember too much. I think I was pretty desensitized to war, or attacks, because CNN had been playing on our family TV ever since I can possibly remember-- this was because my parents were from Kosovo, and the Kosovo war was going on during the late 90s.

I forget you have a more personal experience with Mans hunger for power!!! Thanks for sharing!!

I found this story to be both disturbing and inspiring.
1120511.jpg

I walked into my business 101 class and there was a buzz including the teacher (4'8", well into her 60's concealed carry teacher on the side :) ). I asked what was going on and it seemed like the class in unison said "you haven't heard?". LOL there are televisions all over the school. Later that day I had Psych 1010 and forgot to turn in a paper that was due. The entire class was focused on the events of the day. The next class I explained to this teacher, a hardass if there ever was one, that I forgot to hand it in b/c of the event. She gave me one question and accepted my late paper as on time. Only time I ever tried that and was glad it worked.

I also remember my elementary day following the first Iraq war. We spent a couple hours discussing things. I'll never forget nightly television footage of those scud missiles being shot into Israel and the Patriots taking them down. I wish the media could play this kind of footage today. It makes war much more personal for a nation sitting in an ivory tower judging those who make the crucial decision to send us overseas. I might disagree with stuff but as an adult there's no way I couldn't turn down action after seeing those missiles flying into civilized society.

I found this story to be both disturbing and inspiring.
1120511.jpg

I intend to read this book sometime in the future. Thanks for the comments regarding it-- motivates me to find some time to finally dive in.

I still vividly recall the house I was wiring. I was there with another employee, the HVAC guys, and the plumbers. We had a radio on they broke in with the news of a plane hitting a building in NYC. Almost immediately they said a second plane had hit another building. I looked over at our other employee and said something to the effect of "holy ****, somebody just declared war on us".
My wife and I had tickets to a Lonestar concert that night. They came out on stage playing The Star Spangled Banner. The feeling I got right then was amazing.

I was on vacation in Northern Ireland - actually on a tour bus. The guide heard the news of the first plane hitting and announced it to us. We all ran into a pub when the bus got to the next city to watch the news. I remember thinking to myself how ironic it was that I felt safer that day in Northern Ireland - a country with a history of terrorism and bombings - than I would have had I been in the U.S. The people were so gracious. I had to fly from Dublin to Galway a few days later. While I was in the airport, they had a moment of silence and then played "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes. Yes, I was wiping away the tears. A few people came over to me, sensing that I was American, and told me they were sorry for what had happened in NY. That was a tough plane to board after all of that.

I was in my Aunt's house with my family. Was 18. Then I got out of the pool to see the sight on the TV. It was a unique feeling to see something like that can even be real.