What's new

A Hypothetical about next year's draft. . .

framer

OK, here is the situation:

The Jazz trade Mitchell, have a rebuilding season, and get the # 1 pick. Yay! Franchise saved. However, the #3 team gives us the Sixers deal and offers us the #3 pick and next year's unprotected pick.

Assume that there are no surprises, and the top 3 teams are made up of the bottom 5 teams of the next season. Is there a combination of possible trade partner teams (of the possible bottom 5 teams) and a player other than the French guy and Scoot that makes you consider this or are we just ride or die with those top 2?

You want to give up Victor for #3 and a random pick the following year? Lol, come on

OK, here is the situation:

However, the #3 team gives us the Sixers deal and offers us the #3 pick and next year's unprotected pick.

The pre draft consensus perspective gave Fultz only a slight edge on Tatum. The sixers had a strong preference for fultz and Ainge had tatum at #1.

You would have to replicate this scenario next year, which is very unlikely.

Victor will bust. Way too hyped. Come on, he can't shoot and magically he is going to be as good as Gobert!? At best he's a slightly richer version of Ben Simmons. Most likely he will be just as impactful.

The pre draft consensus perspective gave Fultz only a slight edge on Tatum. The sixers had a strong preference for fultz and Ainge had tatum at #1.

You would have to replicate this scenario next year, which is very unlikely.
The pre draft consensus is still a long ways away. Somebody else could step up.

Victor will bust. Way too hyped. Come on, he can't shoot and magically he is going to be as good as Gobert!? At best he's a slightly richer version of Ben Simmons. Most likely he will be just as impactful.
I don’t see him as a bust even if his shot isn’t straight. Imagine Gobert with even a hint of guard skills and a post move and being comfortable guarding the perimeter. The one thing not in question is his defense with what looks like an improveable jump shot. The only thing I see with him not making it is if he’s horribly injury prone. You are sleeping on him.

1. It's not a foregone conclusion that it's Victor and everyone else, but there's little doubt that Wemby looks the part of a generational talent
2. If Wemby solidifies himself as the clear #1 this season, we're closed for business. The pick isn't going anywhere, sorry you didn't get the lotto luck
3. If you have 3-4 potential #1 guys like Wemby, Scoot and the Thompson twins and you have them rated near each other based on their season, you greatly consider the offer (especially if it's someone like HOU or ORL who will need a few years to escape the top ten).

Maybe I’d got 1 for 2 and a pick maybe. Next 9 months I’d be be doing all the homework on Vic that’s for sure.

The "prize" the Celtics got for making that trade was Romeo Langford. (Which is to say that the ultimate advantage of making the trade turned out to be nearly nil.)

It would have been a bad trade if Fultz was measurably better than Tatum. You'd better be very confident that the player you prefer will drop to 3 (or have them all rated essentially equal) for that to make a lot of sense.

I think it's far too early to predict one of those outcomes. Just too many pieces have to fall into place.

Last edited:
Trading back almost never works out. Best draft philosophy is to figure out who you want, move into a position to get them, and then take them right away.

There was a lot of speculation that the Nuggets traded back with the Jazz in 17’ with an eye towards taking OG Anunoby closer to the range he was projected in - he went one pick ahead of them.

I don’t care what the pick is or if they’re a “reach”, if you believe in the guy and you believe in your scouting process - you just take the player you want.

Trading back almost never works out. Best draft philosophy is to figure out who you want, move into a position to get them, and then take them right away.

There was a lot of speculation that the Nuggets traded back with the Jazz in 17’ with an eye towards taking OG Anunoby closer to the range he was projected in - he went one pick ahead of them.

I don’t care what the pick is or if they’re a “reach”, if you believe in the guy and you believe in your scouting process - you just take the player you want.

Not that simple. All teams have a "team board" and a "market board" and use both to optimize the value of their picks. Sure, grab a guy a few spots above market, but if you see a big disconnect you need to consider trading down. Many of us criticized the Jazz for taking Dok when they did when they could have landed him in the second round. Could have taken someone else with a first and then bought a second and taken him there, for example.

Jazz will have accumulated enough other picks that trading out of a #1 pick in this draft would be a mistake. There's just very little to gain from it in the larger scheme of things.

Jazz should just decide who they like and take him.

Jazz will have accumulated enough other picks that trading out of a #1 pick in this draft would be a mistake. There's just very little to gain from it in the larger scheme of things.

Jazz should just decide who they like and take him.
But what if, after working everyone out, you like someone more than the French Guy and Scoot? Then trading to 3 is a no brainer, right? Although you would probably want to do it last second to avoid tipping off team #2 on who you are focused on.

But what if, after working everyone out, you like someone more than the French Guy and Scoot? Then trading to 3 is a no brainer, right? Although you would probably want to do it last second to avoid tipping off team #2 on who you are focused on.

That scenario is possible in the case of the Thompsons and GG Jackson, imo. But normally there is a clear-cut #1 guy, and if the Jazz drop back to #3 they'd better be damn sure the guy they want will be there. For example, in 2017 the Celtics were very confident that the Sixers would draft Fultz #1 and the Lakers would draft Ball at #2, so Tatum would be there at #3. You'd pretty much need a gentleman's agreement as to which players teams are going to take.

Yeah but I don't see a team taking a guy just because another team wants him, especially at that point in the draft. Now if you drop to 3rd and the 2nd team had already been eyeing the guy you want, then there is a significant risk. But if the guy you really want is mostly slated maybe 5th on out then the risk goes down of losing him, and you can gain assets in the move. Definitely need a clear picture of other team's draft positions that is certain, before you trade out of the 1st pick.

My god this thread is a waste of time. If the jazz get the #1 pick and pass on Vic I will blow up, and the jazz will be a laughing stock of the league for the next 10+ years.

For hell sakes!! If you have the first pick this year you announce to the world “WE ARE TAKING VIC!!!”