What's new

A Little Adversity is Good

I mean, if we were willing to take a flyer on Shaq and bite the bullet and waive him, wouldn't it at least make sense to take a flyer on this guy who has some clear skills that we need? But, obviously, they don't see it that way. That's why DL and his cadre of GMs in the FO get paid lots of money to make these decisions and why I spend my free time offering up these gems for free for my franchise.

@Handlogten's Heros can I count my hours I spend on here offering this gratuitous service as a tax deductible donation at my typical rate, kind of like when you donate to DI and they offer to give you a receipt for your donation?
You can deduct them at the value they possess at the time of donation... Which is zero in monetary terms. I wish we could pay our tax bills in good vibes and feelings.

Here is the deal with the shaq waiver... since they didn't trade him and he didn't get picked up... there is no way we are sliding under the tax. I understand there was a deadline involved but I'd hope they would have a guy in mind for a 10-day or as a replacement. If they don't pick someone up or convert one of the two way guys it is the worst kind of penny pinching. I understand penny pinching to get under the tax. Once you are barely over it you may as well fill out the roster just in case bad things happen or add a player that has a skillset you don't have but might need in a playoff series (RHJ).

I think the FO gets most of the big things right but are sloppy around the edges at times and it leaves me wondering what they are doing.

You can deduct them at the value they possess at the time of donation... Which is zero in monetary terms. I wish we could pay our tax bills in good vibes and feelings.

Here is the deal with the shaq waiver... since they didn't trade him and he didn't get picked up... there is no way we are sliding under the tax. I understand there was a deadline involved but I'd hope they would have a guy in mind for a 10-day or as a replacement. If they don't pick someone up or convert one of the two way guys it is the worst kind of penny pinching. I understand penny pinching to get under the tax. Once you are barely over it you may as well fill out the roster just in case bad things happen or add a player that has a skillset you don't have but might need in a playoff series (RHJ).

I think the FO gets most of the big things right but are sloppy around the edges at times and it leaves me wondering what they are doing.
Waiving Shaq could be like that old charger you throw away then the next week realize what it goes to, and that you need it.

Sometimes I catch myself falling into the same old trap thinking there is some big masterplan with that empty spot... but most of the time I realize it is open in case anyone walks into DL's office that he really likes and they just happen to have a pen.

Here is the deal with the shaq waiver... since they didn't trade him and he didn't get picked up... there is no way we are sliding under the tax.
Did we waive him? I thought his contract was not guaranteed.

Did we waive him? I thought his contract was not guaranteed.
Yes. It was NG but paid him like $700k that stays on the books unless someone claimed him on waivers... which no one did. We are like $1.4M over the tax and need to add a player or a series of 10 day contracts... it would require a trade of someone not on a minimum deal to get us off the tax. Basically unless they plan on moving Bojan I don't see us getting out of the tax this year. Not a big deal this year... its next year and the year after that where it gets tricky.

Last night definitely counts as adversity.

The jazz can use this chip on their shoulders. And I hope the whole org finds a tactful way to make the issues the players are talking about a more public discussion.

Last night was definitely ridiculous

The team might need Mike Conley to start getting some strategic techs. And Q might need some of those as well. Like, if we’re up 15+ and some of this **** starts blatantly recurring, then these two could gather themselves and make a clear fuss.

Last edited:
The team might need Mike Conley to start getting some strategic techs. And W might need some of those as well. Like, if we’re up 15+ and some of this shot starts blatantly recurring, then these two could gather themselves and make a clear fuss.
Andy’s article was really good. Really kinda proved that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I feel strongly it should be the other way around.

The league has made it profitable to flop and bitch at the refs constantly... and it’s something that drives the paying audience crazy. The officials are human but they’ve gotten far too reactionary.

The team might need Mike Conley to start getting some strategic techs. And W might need some of those as well. Like, if we’re up 15+ and some of this shot starts blatantly recurring, then these two could gather themselves and make a clear fuss.
I could actually see Mike getting an early bogus T as a statement, the same way Rudy got called for a foul on the jump the first game after making his last statements.

Andy’s article was really good. Really kinda proved that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I feel strongly it should be the other way around.

The league has made it profitable to flop and bitch at the refs constantly... and it’s something that drives the paying audience crazy. The officials are human but they’ve gotten far too reactionary.
Unfortunately, this won't get any discussion in the circles that it should.

Frankly the officiating thing will go nowhere at all. They won't change anything just because that team from the city of utah complains on Twitter, or even files an official complaint. In the end it's entertainment, not "sports" so in that vein these twitter storm things are ultimately good for the league because it gets them exposure and that gains followers. They don't give one flying **** about it being "fair" and they won't do anything to affect that. Look at their claim to crack down on flopping. It was ********. As fans we just need to keep this in mind. Silver likes all this, and probably encourages some questionable officiating to generate extra buzz, and to promote marquee teams. It's about the money and generating controversy while giving philly the win will generate more money in the long run then a quiet improbable jazz win would have.

I'm glad that it's getting discussion, but SAS takes this in almost the direct opposite direction. He seems to imply more that the officials shouldn't be officiating in ways that gets in the way of star players or ejects them because that's what fans want to see. This is the opposite of Donovan's point. SAS arguing this from an entertainment side and would result in even more BS officiating that protects more marketable players/markets.

I'm glad that it's getting discussion, but SAS takes this in almost the direct opposite direction. He seems to imply more that the officials shouldn't be officiating in ways that gets in the way of star players or ejects them because that's what fans want to see. This is the opposite of Donovan's point. SAS arguing this from an entertainment side and would result in even more BS officiating that protects more marketable players/markets.

He more or less slipped up and let us all in on the league's true agenda. It is all about entertainment. I'm sure it the league had it their way star players would be coddled to produce the best games possibly. Regular 50 point triple doubles from star players are eye-popping and exciting and if the league thought they could survive the backlash they would absolutely orchestrate these as often as possible.

I could actually see Mike getting an early bogus T as a statement, the same way Rudy got called for a foul on the jump the first game after making his last statements.

Unfortunately, this won't get any discussion in the circles that it should.
Then we should go the other way and turn into flopping, whining bitches cuz that is who the refs reward.

Then we should go the other way and turn into flopping, whining bitches cuz that is who the refs reward.
Seriously this is how you become successful, take advantage of the little things that benefit you. Flop, complain, walk up and down the court calling for that T. Apparently the refs listen to and respond to that **** so we might as well get on board because we are going to die on the sword of taking the high road when the only way to win is to wallow with the pigs.

It's a pity that Quin wasted the challege on the play in the first quarter when Gobert was clearly out of bounds. Maybe it would have helped. And it shows that it's the best to keep it for the end of close games when it may be a bigger momentum changer than in early stage of the game.

Seriously this is how you become successful, take advantage of the little things that benefit you. Flop, complain, walk up and down the court calling for that T. Apparently the refs listen to and respond to that **** so we might as well get on board because we are going to die on the sword of taking the high road when the only way to win is to wallow with the pigs.
Literally just yelling loud as you go up. Like a tennis player grunting... all the ******** to trick the refs.

Its just funny where the line is - Player X is good at drawing contact and fouls... Player Y has trouble when guys body up on him and get physical. Somewhere there is a line there. DM has been more likely to play through contact or get an offensive foul when he decides to push the guy away from him. The NBA penalizes that... act like you got hit by a truck and you are now "good at drawing fouls" and maybe you can get some MVP buzz.

It's a pity that Quin wasted the challege on the play in the first quarter when Gobert was clearly out of bounds. Maybe it would have helped. And it shows that it's the best to keep it for the end of close games when it may be a bigger momentum changer than in early stage of the game.
I blame @infection

Literally just yelling loud as you go up. Like a tennis player grunting... all the ******** to trick the refs.

Its just funny where the line is - Player X is good at drawing contact and fouls... Player Y has trouble when guys body up on him and get physical. Somewhere there is a line there. DM has been more likely to play through contact or get an offensive foul when he decides to push the guy away from him. The NBA penalizes that... act like you got hit by a truck and you are now "good at drawing fouls" and maybe you can get some MVP buzz.
It really wouldn't take a lot of acting for Mitchell to get those calls. Just enough grimacing and learning to fall at the correct moment. Then he would be the one at the foul line a dozen times a game and averaging 35.

It really wouldn't take a lot of acting for Mitchell to get those calls. Just enough grimacing and learning to fall at the correct moment. Then he would be the one at the foul line a dozen times a game and averaging 35.
And I want to be clear... I hate it. It just seems we feel we should take the high road and play through contact. Bojan takes a ton of contact on his drives too... you have to show that contact and put it on display or else the refs just "let em play".

Some of this is weeded out in the playoffs so I don't think its the biggest issue we have at all... but its been annoying the way the game is officiated.