What's new

A little Boler appreciation

It' been really nice to see him healthy and getting time on the court (in this case the injuries have been a blessing to a certain extent) and having fun out there. I missed him. Still has that swagger too.

He has improved his defense a ton, his shot selection and decision making is much better (good coaching by the jazz staff). You can tell his knowledge of the offense and defense is much better.

He was getting way too much hate imo but I understood where it came from. The injuries and major slumps will do that to fans and I get it. I won't name names but a few awful takes to point out is that burks was a ball hog (I did the research a while back and he was never near the top of the team in shot attempts.... even if you look at shots per minute played. Even when considering the fact that for many years his job was to be the scorer off the bench. Never in his career has he been a ball hog) and that he should only shoot threes and can't make layups. Some people wanted him to be kyle korver. He got the nickname he has for a reason. People forgot.

Legit criticisms of him in his career would be poor shot selection, wild play, poor defense, and poor outside shooting. (Early in his career)

Love that he has improved on all of his weaknesses and recently showed that his old strengths (attacking the rim and finishing in traffic in houdini fashion, and playing with high energy and hitting set spot up threes, Cleaning glass like a boss) are still there too.

On a team full of likeable players, he is one of the most likeable guys imo. Never complains, never gets into it with teammates or coaches or even opponents. I cant remember ever in his entire career bitching at the refs about a call or missed call for a prolonged period. Tons of smiles, and loves the game.

I hated to see all the fans that wanted to simply dump him somewhere and even wanted to include other assets just to get someone to take him off our hands. Dont get me wrong, I understood why fans felt that way but as a Burks fan who still believed in him it sucked to see all the hate.

This win streak has been really fun all around and is just all the better knowing that a few redemption projects (favors and burks) were a big big part of it.

Now that fish is back and posting well again, we should trade him to another forum and see what we can get for him...

Last edited:
Guess there are newer threads to hijack, but this was what my search found...

Being in Norway, we don't get that many evening matches, but yesterday I decided to watch Celtics@Nuggets a bit (Nuggets with and without Jokic are two completely different teams, and the Celtics ended the game on a 40-8 run...).

When you need to choose between Nuggets and Celtics announcers, you learn to appreciate Boler and Harpring/Thurl.

Guess there are newer threads to hijack, but this was what my search found...

Being in Norway, we don't get that many evening matches, but yesterday I decided to watch Celtics@Nuggets a bit (Nuggets with and without Jokic are two completely different teams, and the Celtics ended the game on a 40-8 run...).

When you need to choose between Nuggets and Celtics announcers, you learn to appreciate Boler and Harpring/Thurl.
It depends on what your priorities are. All those other announcers you mentioned know a lot more about basketball than Boler. Like, a lot. That ****ing matters.

The absolute worst is when one of our guys hoists up a terrible fadeaway contested shot. It’s rims out.

Boler: goooooood look. Just didn’t fall.

His real time ‘analysis’ is hilariously bad and wrong. He’s got the voice for it, that’s about it.

It depends on what your priorities are. All those other announcers you mentioned know a lot more about basketball than Boler. Like, a lot. That ****ing matters.
Well, knowing stuff about basketball is nice and all, but when your homerism makes sure you never say anything useful I don't really care. I'm sure they are okay if you're a Nuggets fan, but I had to mute.

(Should be said that normally, the play-by-play guys aren't that bad, it's the colour commentator that sucks.)

Well, knowing stuff about basketball is nice and all, but when your homerism makes sure you never say anything useful I don't really care. I'm sure they are okay if you're a Nuggets fan, but I had to mute.

(Should be said that normally, the play-by-play guys aren't that bad, it's the colour commentator that sucks.)
I’ll take a homer who knows more than jack ****.... which is squarely where Boler finds himself.

you know Boler is feeling himself whenever he peeks out of his usual doldrums and starts freestyling some analogies to football. It has happened a couple of times lately... and it’s literally the only time I laugh at the broadcast. Just go back to football, Boler.

When Boler says "GUESS WHO?" after something happens it's usually just a random player, not a player necessarily known for the thing Boler is referring to.

"Got the rebound...guess who?" (It was Mike Conley.)

Two minutes later: "Got the rebound. Guess who?" (It was Rudy.) Etc.

haha

When Boler says "GUESS WHO?" after something happens it's usually just a random player, not a player necessarily known for the thing Boler is referring to.

"Got the rebound...guess who?" (It was Mike Conley.)

Two minutes later: "Got the rebound. Guess who?" (It was Rudy.) Etc.

haha
Thanks. Now I'm going to notice every time he does this.

I’ll take a homer who knows more than jack ****.... which is squarely where Boler finds himself.
This. To me it isn't even the lack of knowledge (as irritating as that is), but the fact that it implies he doesn't really care about the game. If he cared at all, it wouldn't have taken what, 8 years to learn that when you bounce the ball on the floor it isn't a skip pass (although he still says that from time to time). So many other people out there who could do the same thing and show some level of passion for the sport. Maybe they wouldn't be as good keeping a verbal stream going (that is a skill after all and not as easy as people think) but they would have more relevant things to say and hopefully fewer ****** misplaced catch-phrases.

“Toes it for three” = not a three.
“Long two” = it’s a three.
Damn near every ****ing time. My favorite one was Mitchell did a nifty spin move at the top of the key, then a quick crossover into a nice 18 ft shot. Boler could not follow the action at all, so all he said was something like Donovan with the ball at the top of the key for three! Nailed it! Then like 2 plays later said, oh it looks like they gave Donovan 2 on that shot and thurl somehow unironically said, yeah it looked like he was over the line on that one. I laughed so hard. Classic.

Damn near every ****ing time. My favorite one was Mitchell did a nifty spin move at the top of the key, then a quick crossover into a nice 18 ft shot. Boler could not follow the action at all, so all he said was something like Donovan with the ball at the top of the key for three! Nailed it! Then like 2 plays later said, oh it looks like they gave Donovan 2 on that shot and thurl somehow unironically said, yeah it looked like he was over the line on that one. I laughed so hard. Classic.
To be fair, in football you only need to be part way over the line, and not your whole body. At least I think. IDGAF about football.