What's new

A plug for SLC Punks podcast from an appreciative fan

Carbon13

David Locke has more access to the team than any of his competitors. It doesn't even come close. When David reports on Jazz news he reports accurately and with more information than other outlets. As a side-effect of his access however, it means he is a bit of a corporate guy. His perspective is always forgiving of the Jazz and he rarely criticizes the team, even when they probably deserve it. Salt City Hoops is the other popular podcast. I really enjoy their banter, it was fun while Zach Harper was in town and reported with them. Their information seems accurate and after David Locke, they are probably the most plugged in of the Jazz podcasts. Andy Larsen is a treasure and I find their reporting to be fairly unbiased. But of all of the podcasts in the Salt Lake Valley covering the Utah Jazz, I have come to really appreciate SLC Punks. They are the other Utah Jazz blog that doesn't have the fancy backing of the team itself or ESPN. I don't even think they have remotely the access to the team that Salt City Hoops or Locked on Jazz does, but because of this it seems like it gives them their own interesting edge. SLC Punks is probably the most unbiased of the podcasts and most unapologetic of the Utah Jazz podcasts. In the last few episodes I have especially enjoyed their take on the Kevin O'Connor rebuild, asking tough questions regarding trades that probably should have been done and how this affected the development of our young guys. In the most recent episode they discuss the Kirilenko-era Jazz and how differently that team probably should have been managed. They consider how a Deron, Korver, Andrei-at-the-4, and Memo team would have done in todays league (hint: really extremely well). In all, I just appreciate how candid they are about the team and the fact that they don't sugarcoat it. In all, I think there is a place for all three podcasts, but I strongly support anyone who listens to LoJ or SCH, that you also supplement it with SLC Punks. They are probably the most independent of the three if somewhat on the outside. I have found it refreshing.

Disclaimer: I am not a shill, just a fan that recently discover SLC Punks and want to get the word out.

One dude really annoys me on there to the point I cant listen to it. His takes are routinely awful ad his attitude towards Mack was pretty tasteless.

Locke is super arrogant to me. He's hard to like.
Andy is really good. Ben is not all that good.
I'll have to try these guys out. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You'd probably like these guys more. They are more just regular fans doing a podcast. Not basketball geniuses or stats gurus. Just homers talking about the Jazz.

Tony Jones at the Trib is pretty good. I think he does podcasts regularly during the season.

I guess what I was trying to say in way too many words is of all the Jazz reporting, I like the SLC Punks a lot because they don't seem to walk on eggshells when talking front office mistakes. I feel like Locke and SCH are a little more measured because they dont want to upset their contacts.