What's new

A Post of Words with Tom Pitt

Tom Pitt

The NBA season slammed to a whiplash-giving halt on Wednesday, and Rudy Gobert testing positive for Covid-19 served as the impetus. This is bonafide sea change territory. It's unfortunate Gobert's legacy is likely to be marred--unfairly-- by this; he's certainly not the villain NBA twitter is purporting he is. Reckless, immature, irresponsible, but ultimately a good dude is a more astute in-passing analysis when compared to the heartless polemics volleyed from the minds of the masses.

At least from my vantage point on NBA twitter, fans of other teams don't think highly about the Jazz or Jazz fans anyway. Egad.This will only add fuel to the vitriol. As you know, we tend to be seen-- unfairly-- in a pRoFoUnDly dIvErSe CoOkIe cUtTeR lIGhT. Just a bunch of racist mormons who somehow, in identifying as Jazz fans, find it routine business to hurl racial slurs behind the mask of a crowd (and somehow, in doing so, we never piss off our own players who happen to be of the race we are berating.)

As you can see, this is a well thought out narrative. Forget Utah's track record with slavery, civil rights, lynching, stark racial injustices when compared to pretty much every State in the south and midwest. Forget all of that, we are far and away the most racist fanbase. As I implied before, this is no superficial narrative. Egad. Human nature prevails! (Be it unsavory, we are probably all just as guilty in buying into beguiling narratives. We propagate them mostly with impunity, cultivating walls to divide. And usually, I'm not sure being "woke" means what we think it means.)

I'm getting sidetracked. Sorry. Pertaining to the Jazz and Rudy Gobert, there's an intoxicating amount of bunk out there. Shimmering factoids and falsehoods, to chafe and wage war on. It's time consuming and perhaps at times (I mean if you're not wOkE) a worthy distraction. To band together as Gobert apologists and defenders would certainly satisfy our tribal tendencies albeit implicit in this action is the peripheral notion that people who disagree with us are a bunch of silly a**holes who don't deserve to have toilet paper and bottled war at their place of residence; They can't all be bad can they??! (We are all so damn smart.)

So Donovan is upset with Rudy huh? And a rift has materialized amid the ballyhoo. If it's any consolation, I don't believe the rift is indelible. Donovan seems like the ultimate dude. Like, if I made a mistake and needed forgiveness from an NBA player, is there anyone in the league who seems more forgiving, other than Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo? On the flip side, if things do in fact go to hades, and my guy DL deems it prudent to deal the Stifle Tower, Boston seems like they need a center; Rudy for Hayward?! That's a 30 for 30 tale to be told.

The Jazz season is over for now and I'm writhing so much in boredom here I am writing again. Someone asked me what I would do with all time that has freed up. My response: Maybe I'll do something unconventional. Daring. Like really out there. Perhaps read a book?" While hunkered down in our homes, sitting on our thrones of toilet paper or lack thereof, consider the dying pastime.

Season is over. If I were a betting man, this will be known as the lost season.

Stay safe everyone. Much love.

The NBA season slammed to a whiplash-giving halt on Wednesday, and Rudy Gobert testing positive for Covid-19 served as the impetus. This is bonafide sea change territory. It's unfortunate Gobert's legacy is likely to be marred--unfairly-- by this; he's certainly not the villain NBA twitter is purporting he is. Reckless, immature, irresponsible, but ultimately a good dude is a more astute in-passing analysis when compared to the heartless polemics volleyed from the minds of the masses.

At least from my vantage point on NBA twitter, fans of other teams don't think highly about the Jazz or Jazz fans anyway. Egad.This will only add fuel to the vitriol. As you know, we tend to be seen-- unfairly-- in a pRoFoUnDly dIvErSe CoOkIe cUtTeR lIGhT. Just a bunch of racist mormons who somehow, in identifying as Jazz fans, find it routine business to hurl racial slurs behind the mask of a crowd (and somehow, in doing so, we never piss off our own players who happen to be of the race we are berating.)

As you can see, this is a well thought out narrative. Forget Utah's track record with slavery, civil rights, lynching, stark racial injustices when compared to pretty much every State in the south and midwest. Forget all of that, we are far and away the most racist fanbase. As I implied before, this is no superficial narrative. Egad. Human nature prevails! (Be it unsavory, we are probably all just as guilty in buying into beguiling narratives. We propagate them mostly with impunity, cultivating walls to divide. And usually, I'm not sure being "woke" means what we think it means.)

I'm getting sidetracked. Sorry. Pertaining to the Jazz and Rudy Gobert, there's an intoxicating amount of bunk out there. Shimmering factoids and falsehoods, to chafe and wage war on. It's time consuming and perhaps at times (I mean if you're not wOkE) a worthy distraction. To band together as Gobert apologists and defenders would certainly satisfy our tribal tendencies albeit implicit in this action is the peripheral notion that people who disagree with us are a bunch of silly a**holes who don't deserve to have toilet paper and bottled war at their place of residence; They can't all be bad can they??! (We are all so damn smart.)

So Donovan is upset with Rudy huh? And a rift has materialized amid the ballyhoo. If it's any consolation, I don't believe the rift is indelible. Donovan seems like the ultimate dude. Like, if I made a mistake and needed forgiveness from an NBA player, is there anyone in the league who seems more forgiving, other than Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo? On the flip side, if things do in fact go to hades, and my guy DL deems it prudent to deal the Stifle Tower, Boston seems like they need a center; Rudy for Hayward?! That's a 30 for 30 tale to be told.

The Jazz season is over for now and I'm writhing so much in boredom here I am writing again. Someone asked me what I would do with all time that has freed up. My response: Maybe I'll do something unconventional. Daring. Like really out there. Perhaps read a book?" While hunkered down in our homes, sitting on our thrones of toilet paper or lack thereof, consider the dying pastime.

Season is over. If I were a betting man, this will be known as the lost season.

Stay safe everyone. Much love.

Season is not over. Just a bit of a delay. Maybe regular season though, and we will just do playoffs. My guess. But we will see.

Eh haven't written it off yet but I think a full sale cancellation is a distinct possibility. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Boredom has gotten to me as well. To that end, and this is tangential to the thread, sorry for derailing, does anyone have any experience with self brew? Planning a post apocalypse project of brewing my own beer. Does anyone have any experience? Anyone else have any boredom buster projects on the go?

Eh haven't written it off yet but I think a full sale cancellation is a distinct possibility. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Boredom has gotten to me as well. To that end, and this is tangential to the thread, sorry for derailing, does anyone have any experience with self brew? Planning a post apocalypse project of brewing my own beer. Does anyone have any experience? Anyone else have any boredom buster projects on the go?
@Gameface

Books are awesome, guys. I’ve just taken delivery of ten books that I’ve been dying to read, and now that all these fools around town are leaving me alone, I’m diving in and loving it. And the loss of NBA distraction is pretty cool, too, if I’m honest.

Books are awesome, guys. I’ve just taken delivery of ten books that I’ve been dying to read, and now that all these fools around town are leaving me alone, I’m diving in and loving it. And the loss of NBA distraction is pretty cool, too, if I’m honest.
I’ve had to spend so much more time with my family... I’m not sure if it’s good or bad yet.

List? tia

I have been homebrewing for a while now.

Whatcha wanna know?

List? tia
Oxygen, by nick lane
Endless forms most beautiful, by Carroll
Life ascending, by nick lane (this dude is awesome)
The vital question, by sir Nick Lane!
On the Origin of Phyla, by Valentine
all three books of the Remembrance of Earth’s Past, by Cixin Liu (a page-turning Hard Science Fiction series)
Spinal Catastrophism, by Moynihan
A couple of first edition hardbacks by Robinson Jeffers (America’s most amazing poet, imo).

that’s all I can recall atm

Edit: I guess that’s 11 books, so that’s all of them. Oxygen was ****ing insanely interesting. And I’m having a blast with the trilogy.

Oxygen, by nick lane
all three books of the Remembrance of Earth’s Past, by Cixin Liu (a page-turning Hard Science Fiction series)
A couple of first edition hardbacks by Robinson Jeffers (America’s most amazing poet, imo).

Edit: I guess that’s 11 books, so that’s all of them. Oxygen was ****ing insanely interesting. And I’m having a blast with the trilogy.
Cixin Liu! Read Three Body Problem and waiting the last 2 to be translated to Turkish.

Robinson Jeffers is great. You read Winesburg, Ohio?

Cixin Liu! Read Three Body Problem and waiting the last 2 to be translated to Turkish.

I just finished the 2nd book, and let me tell you, it keeps you hooked. I was sorta tepid on the first book until about p.275, but since then, I’m way committed.

I haven’t read that Jeffers poem. It sounds like one of your favs?

Oxygen, by nick lane

Thanks Broski.

Here's my list 5 books waiting to be read:

Stoner - John Williams
Gardens of Moon - Steven Erikson (Malazan Series)
The Complete Stories - Flannery O'Connor
The Savage Detectives - Robert Bolano
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami (really enjoyed Kafka by the Shore)

I listened to "The Three Body Problem" series as an audiobook and yeah, it's like life changing imho.

I just finished the 2nd book, and let me tell you, it keeps you hooked. I was sorta tepid on the first book until about p.275, but since then, I’m way committed.

I haven’t read that Jeffers poem. It sounds like one of your favs?
Oh no. It's not by Jeffers. Forgot to add a paragraph. My fav would be Distant Rainfall.

Winesburg, Ohio is a book of cyclical short stories by Sherwood Anderson which influenced the likes of Faulkner. It's thoroughly American and probably my fave book of American short story.

Thanks Broski.

Here's my list 5 books waiting to be read:

Stoner - John Williams
Gardens of Moon - Steven Erikson (Malazan Series)
The Complete Stories - Flannery O'Connor
The Savage Detectives - Robert Bolano
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami (really enjoyed Kafka by the Shore)
I’ll look into these. Thanks, mayne.
If you like Murakami, then this Cixin Lui series is a slam dunk. And, fwiw, the Wind Up Bird Chronicle was my fav Murakami.

The ATP cancelled a major tournament (Indian Wells) long before Gobert tested positive. The sports world would have reacted this way even without Gobert's diagnosis.

Oh no. It's not by Jeffers. Forgot to add a paragraph. My fav would be Distant Rainfall.

Winesburg, Ohio is a book of cyclical short stories by Sherwood Anderson which influenced the likes of Faulkner. It's thoroughly American and probably my fave book of American short story.
Ah, ok. That’s actually starting to ring a bell, but I haven’t read it. Will definitely put it on my list due that short blurb you just provided. Thanks, bro.

I’ll look into these. Thanks, mayne.
If you like Murakami, then this Cixin Lui series is a slam dunk. And, fwiw, the Wind Up Bird Chronicle was my fav Murakami.
Yeah I've heard it's his best work. I'm definitely going to check out Cixin Lui, thanks.

I don't keep a list of books to be read as I keep thinking about the next one and working at a bookstore makes it unnecessary but I have some books on my mind.

Currently reading Don Quixote.

I will probably buy Lorrie Moore's complete stories. Have only read a few but all of them were amazing.

Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Only heard good things and while King Rat was mediocre(debut novel, understandable), The City&City was great.

A collection of short stories by Faulkner which includes A Rose for Emily and Barn Burners. Two great short stories. Barn Burners influenced the oscar winning South Korean film Burning. Watch it too.

Natsume Soseki's Heart. Miner was so ahead of its time. It's as much about writing as it is about life as a miner, working class and social classes of Japan. I loved it and Heart is the book everyone considers his best.

Last edited: