What's new

A solution for flopping?

zman1527

Watching and listening to the finals shows just how often there is flopping and how everyone knows it is there. How to deal with it? It would be very difficult for the refs to call that on the spot accurately. It is already hard enough for them as it is.

How about after game video reviews by the league? Then you could assign some sort of foul or demerit or something. Go after only the obvious and egregious ones. After a player accrues say 6 or 10, they have to sit out a game. I think that this would really help cut down the incidence of flopping.

I think that this would really help cut down the incidence of flopping.

Who in they right mind would wanna cut down on this kinda entertainment, I ax ya?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdERYOtqsg&feature=PlayList&p=4129D057390F521B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=44

Financial penalties, either directly or indirectly (suspensions), are the only thing that will curb it.

Financial penalties, either directly or indirectly (suspensions), are the only thing that will curb it.

Nah, I think public humiliation is much more effective. Just have the league distribute video clips that can be shown pre-game or during the quarter breaks.

How can you really PROVE they flop? Or if they were honestly off balance or something else. I don't see an obvious fix to this. Besides Fisher retiring.

As long as players think it will give tham an advantage, there will be flopping.

As long as players think it will give tham an advantage, there will be flopping.

That's the whole idea, penalize them in some manner and take the advantage away. Would Fisher do it as much if there was some sort of penalty? Right now there is no penalty whatsoever.

....I have it on good authority that ALL floppers would stop flopping...IF the ref's would call palming and traveling!

Whether it's flopping or an actual knock-down might be hard to determine (aside from those Baron Davis-Okur instances) from a referee's standpoint. Plus I wouldn't want the game stopped after every "flop" just so it could go under review.

What I would LOVE to see, though, would be giving technical fouls to players who complain after every call. Watch Varejao or Tim Duncan for 60 seconds and you'll know what I mean. They stare all googly-eyed at the refs and trot up the court yammering in the refs' ears about how they just got mugged when clearly they didn't.

Whether it's flopping or an actual knock-down might be hard to determine (aside from those Baron Davis-Okur instances) from a referee's standpoint. Plus I wouldn't want the game stopped after every "flop" just so it could go under review.

What I would LOVE to see, though, would be giving technical fouls to players who complain after every call. Watch Varejao or Tim Duncan for 60 seconds and you'll know what I mean. They stare all googly-eyed at the refs and trot up the court yammering in the refs' ears about how they just got mugged when clearly they didn't.

Good of you to read the original post. I said that it would all be done on reviews of the video after the game. I agree that it is too hard to call in-game. It is not however to call the egregious ones after the game with a video review.

Suspend them if they have an obvious flop. Sounds harsh but flops are just ridiculous. Fisher wouldn't play an entire season if that rule was implemented though. Fisher=Biggest Flop Artist in the Game.

Flops should be treated like technical foul's, except without the free throw (in case ref gets it wrong). The NBA should also allow teams to submit particular plays to the league office so that additional technical flop fouls can be assessed postgame. Egregious flops, like Baron Davis's, should be given 2 tech's and an automatic 1 game suspension, otherwise, each flop can just be accumulated like every other technical foul is when determining suspensions.

They should let the players clean it up, much like Dave Cowens on Mike Newlin. Newlin flopped, and Cowens was called for a foul. The next time Newlin came near Cowens, Cowens knocked him down as hard as he could, looked at the ref and yelled "Now that's a ****ing foul". I want to see someone clothesline Fisher of Nazareth and say "well, I knew he was going to 'sell' a foul so I thought I'd get my money's worth."