What's new

A thought about Gobert

toddychurch

I’m watching the 30 for 30 about the Lakers/Celtics rivalry in the 80’s and they keep showing Kareem highlights and his skyhook. If Gobert could develop some kind of hook shot that is 60-70% as effective as Kareem’s he’d be so deadly.

What happened to the hook shot or skyhook? I wonder why that isn’t taught/used as much anymore.

I’m watching the 30 for 30 about the Lakers/Celtics rivalry in the 80’s and they keep showing Kareem highlights and his skyhook. If Gobert could develop some kind of hook shot that is 60-70% as effective as Kareem’s he’d be so deadly.

What happened to the hook shot or skyhook? I wonder why that isn’t taught/used as much anymore.
It's a difficult shot to master, but I think it would be the perfect shot for Rudy. It's not so difficult though if you use the backboard. Kareem mostly shot it along the baseline without using the backboard which is more difficult.

Rudy is never going to have an elite offensive game, and that is just fine. He is proven to be the most effective defensive player in the league, and should work at getting even better there. Just look at Embiid, who could be comparable to Rudy defensively, except for the fact that expends more energy on the offensive end. I'd rather have Rudy dominating everyone on defense than having him lose a step there in order to become an offensively minded player.

Utah will find the questions to their offense elsewhere. No need to sacrifice Rudy's D for a few extra points that can come from somewhere else.

Have him work with Vlade. I bet DL could coerce him to do it as a debt for the trade debacle.

Rudy is never going to have an elite offensive game, and that is just fine. He is proven to be the most effective defensive player in the league, and should work at getting even better there. Just look at Embiid, who could be comparable to Rudy defensively, except for the fact that expends more energy on the offensive end. I'd rather have Rudy dominating everyone on defense than having him lose a step there in order to become an offensively minded player.

Utah will find the questions to their offense elsewhere. No need to sacrifice Rudy's D for a few extra points that can come from somewhere else.

I don’t think he needs an “elite offensive game”; that’s not what I was suggesting. However developing a somewhat effective offensive game, a post move/drop step or short hook would keep defenders honest and definitely won't hurt his defensive prowess as that is his calling card so to speak. I don’t think anyone expects an elite offensive game from him.

ONE go to post move like a hook shot would be good

Just for mismatches and when he can't get all the way to the rim on a dive after setting screens. That, and a somewhat reliable midrange jumper so he could pick and pop would make him a super valuable offensive player. That would be enough along with just getting stronger hands.

Rudy needs a go-to move with two counters. This summer he should focus:

1) technique to lower his center of gravity and continue increasing strength
2) 1 primary move with 2 counters
3) continue to improve his hands

He's not going from 0 moves to 3 in an offseason.

I'd be happy with 1. This mismatch **** has been largely ignored for years. Hopefully now that it's glaring, something happens. I'm frankly not too confident but I am hopeful.

He's not going from 0 moves to 3 in an offseason.

I'd be happy with 1. This mismatch **** has been largely ignored for years. Hopefully now that it's glaring, something happens. I'm frankly not too confident but I am hopeful.

Never said he was. A single move with two counters is not 3 moves. It one move with extra footwork. Yes, he can do that.

I'd love to see Gobert develop a hook shot. Ante Tomic has one. Too bad he's a douchebag.

FFS. Dude, we're not asking him to become an elite offensive force or become a primary option on offensive. Developing a go-to move down low does not harm his defense in any way, no more than his usual tips and cuts which is where most of his points come from. But something to fall back on to exploit mismatches when teams go small on him isn't hurting him in any way.

ONE go to post move like a hook shot would be good

Alex Jensen has done a fantastic job with Rudy so far. I'm sure the next step is one reliable post move, and then one counter-move.

Honestly, Kevin McHale had like three moves, but could pull them off so well that he became so f'n deadly in the post.

Continue to improve his hands should be #1. If he can't catch the ball, all the others are moot points.