What's new

A True BYU/Utah Story

Archie Moses

My step-mom teaches 5th grade. I was over visiting her and my dad yesterday and she told me a priceless story. A couple of weeks ago, she wore a University of Utah sweater to class. She's a BYU graduate, but my dad talked her over "to the dark side" after many years. (He's a big Ute homer cause he ran track and played football for them.) Anyway, while wearing her sweater, a 5th grader (let's call Colby) in her class walked up to her and told her that "the Utes suck." My step-mom was kinda taken back at the remark and told that kid he shouldn't use that type of language or say things like that in class. End of story? No way...

That kid went home and told his parents that my step-mom is a Ute fan and she told him not to dis on the Utes. The kids parents wrote my step-mom a letter. Here it is.

Dr Mrs. Senor Moses,

My son informed us that he was taken aside in your class earlier this week and told not to make fun of the Utes. I don't feel that was necessary. I hope you understand my husband played football for BYU and we are die-hard fans as well as season-ticket holders. Colby (the kid) is the biggest BYU fan I know and was just kidding when he made a remark towards the Utes - perfectly normal for a 5th grader and to be taken aside is, in my opinion, uncalled for. It's one thing to be a fan, but it's another to tell a kid not to be because you're not a fan of BYU. I know how the rivalry between Utah and BYU, at times, can blind us. I can only hope your allegiance for the Utes will not affect my son's grades. My husband and I would not be happy campers.

Thank you so much for teaching. Colby really enjoys your class.

-The BYU family.

lol

After that letter, a few weeks later was parent teacher conference. Colby told my step-mom that his mom wasn't coming because she didn't want to meet with a Ute fan and had nothing to say to her. She ended up coming, and my step mom said she was actually pretty nice.

Parents only getting one side of the story and believing it cuz it's their never-can-do-wrong child? No way!

That was a pretty sweet story. Thanks for posting, now I've got some ironing to get done.

-Craig K. Manscill

thats so stuppid if a kid ever did that to a teacher here in rosepark they would of been suspended not because they said that to the teacher but because there byu fans lol