What's new

A Year After Being Undrafted, Wesley Matthews Set to Cash in

1-Jazzfan

Nice little article on Wes Matthews.

https://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/a-year-after-being-undrafted-wesley-matthews-set-to-cash-in/

Snippets:
Sources said Portland, San Antonio, the Lakers and Milwaukee are among teams that have called so far to express interest in Matthews

He's an interesting commodity after averaging 9.4 points as Utah's starting shooting guard and upping that average to 13.2 in 10 playoff games.

There's an outside chance the undrafted Matthews could make more next season than the $5.36 million the No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft, the Clippers' Blake Griffin, will pull down

"There's no question his loyalty is to the Jazz,'' Matthews Sr. said. "They gave him a chance. But it has to be a fair, market-value deal.''

Last edited:
I think that Matthews is worth the price. I just hope Portland or someone doesn't pull another Millsap deal on us. Matthews is a great piece and gives the Jazz a potential threat from the 3 and a solid (and growing) defender. Don't lose him Jazz! If the Jazz survive this summer they can make some moves during the year or next off season to build a championship team!

I'm no expert but isn't he limited on how much he can make due to him being a 2nd year player??

The only limit that would apply would be the max limits. Each team is in a different scenario as to what they could offer him, but since he's a bona fide free agent (and he was last year as well), if the Knicks wanted to offer him the max, they could do that (and the Jazz wouldn't be able to match anything above what they have left of the MLE since he doesn't have Bird Rights [thus the Jazz cannot go over the cap to retain him]).

But that's a moot point and only an example. The most he will get offered is the full MLE and I simply don't see it happening.

I'm fairly certain he can only be offered the full MLE from any team regardless of cap space etc. I'll try (this sentence is a complete lie) and look it up.

No Bodhi, as a RFA he can get a contract offer from any team for any amount they are under the cap up to the max. He can only get the MLE from teams over the cap. But under the cap teams can offer him what ever. What the MLE does is allow teams to go over the cap.

Of course no team with that kind of space is going to use that space on a roll player like Matthews because it takes away money from there space they are trying to use to get a star player.

What kind of contract do you think Wes deserves?

Giricek and Arroyo got 4 yrs $16 million in the summer of '04. If we could resign Wes for 4 yrs at $15-16 million, I'd be happy.

I would definitely let Matthews walk for the MLE and just sign back Brewer. Teams are going to be awfully surprised when they find out he isn't as good as advertised without Deron to set the table for him.

I would definitely let Matthews walk for the MLE and just sign back Brewer. Teams are going to be awfully surprised when they find out he isn't as good as advertised without Deron to set the table for him.
Agree. Other than Mo Williams and Raja Bell, I can't think of a starter/rotational Jazz player who left as FA and really made his mark elsewhere.

I like Matthews. He's a guy that can put the ball on the floor and make things happen. He can pass the ball, but he also can steal balls if need be. Thanks for reading.

-Craig

Brewer needs the table set for him far more than Matthews ever did. But if you can get him for half the price, then fine.

I get the feeling Boston goes after Brewer, though, and would outspend us to do it (provided the Jazz make any move for him).