What's new

Advanced Stats

Takeaways:
  1. Smart is unanimously rated as the best player of the group.
  2. Grant is probably overrated.
  3. Covington is at best a marginal upgrade over Joe. If Joe's 3pt-shooting reverts to past years' levels, Covington may not be an improvement at all. Probably not enough of an improvement to merit a first rounder.
  4. All three systems agree--Bojan is a worse defender than Clarkson.

Takeaways:
  3. Covington is at best a marginal upgrade over Joe. If Joe's 3pt-shooting reverts to past years' levels, Covington may not be an improvement at all. Probably not enough of an improvement to merit a first rounder.
Jazz should send zero picks for Covington.

Takeaways:
Thanks for the compilation.

Jazz should send zero picks for Covington.
As time goes by he feels like a middle-class man’s Royce. I don’t really say that from watching him, though. Though watching him hasn’t had anything pop out that made me say “we should get this guy.”

I haven't been a fan of Covington. But looking at these stats makes me think he is a little better fit for us than I thought. He is rated the 4th best PF at the D-Lebron and all of his defensive stats are really high on a bad defensive team. Trading Ingles for him is a move for more defense. It looks like he is rated higher than Smart at most relevant defensive stats and is much bigger and can guard bigger players that I am more worried about, especially end of games when I want Conley and Mitchell in.

Impressive that Gobert ranks as the best defender in the Lebron stats, but not surprising. He also rates #2 in overall and in wins added just behind Jokic and ahead of Curry.

Impressive that Gobert ranks as the best defender in the Lebron stats, but not surprising. He also rates #2 in overall and in wins added just behind Jokic and ahead of Curry.
I posted those in the Gobert thread. Easily our best and most impactful player. Sound be in the MVP discussion.

I will say despite posting stats a lot and looking at defensive stats, they are always kind of suspect. The Lebron defensive stat says Bradley, Vucevic, Porzingis and Jokic are all very high level defenders. Or that Brook Lopez was a better defender than Gobert the previous two years. But lots of other stuff makes sense with it. You see a lot of players you think are good defender near the top and Trae Young at dead last every year.

Takeaways:
I'm definitely not sending a first rounder for Covington, but these stats actually made me want him more than I previously had. He seems to be a very clear defensive upgrade, whereas before I thought he would just be a marginal upgrade.