What's new

Al Jefferson at center is a losing proposition

Double-double, sure. Not 20-10.

For someone who hates to say that, you say it a lot.
Truth hurts sometimes. Still not enjoyable to say that Sloan's in-game strategy (e.g., substitutions, matchups) sucks. The information that the team doesn't watch game film together further suggests that not only the in-game strategy is subpar, but the game planning is also. It is absolutely preposterous that they don't watch game film together and don't discuss the game together. It makes me skeptical about how much even the coaches watch and discuss strategy together.

With better matchups, these first two games were winnable, despite the double-digit deficits that actually occurred. It's the strategy, stupid. You don't play two PFs together. It hasn't worked consistently in previous years, and it ain't working now.

P.S. Here's what the competition (the competition that matters) is doing.

Phil Jackson not only watches game film voraciously (something that a mentor taught him), he has real movies spliced into the film that he shows to the team. Gladiator was a movie theme a few years ago. Helped fuel a sweep.
https://lakers.ocregister.com/2008/01/27/phil-jackson-as-roger-ebert/544/
(I wonder if Sloan splices in scenes of midwestern cornfields for inspiration.)

In fairness, the Fakers download film into the players' laptops, so there is probably lots of individual viewing also.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/bask...son-embarks-on-his-first-game-7-in-nba-finals

Kobe sometime corrals teammates and even coaches to watch clips of relevance. Even though this is the coaches' job first, Deron needs to do this, too, even if the coaches aren't.
https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/play...st=macmullan_jackie&page=kobefilmstudy-100604
(This is a sign to me that DM doesn't want to stay around if the coaches aren't even putting forth the effort to bring the team together for film.)

I'm not sure how watching game film would entice the team to play with energy, enthusiasm. I'm not sure that watching game film would encourage Raja Bell to hit a three.

If Kobe is not a Laker and they still watch all that game film in LA would be considering a threepeat?

I think game analysis and particular looking at game film is important to perfect things but it is so not relevant to what has happened in the first two games.

I'm not sure how watching game film would entice the team to play with energy, enthusiasm. I'm not sure that watching game film would encourage Raja Bell to hit a three.

If Kobe is not a Laker and they still watch all that game film in LA would be considering a threepeat?

I think game analysis and particular looking at game film is important to perfect things but it is so not relevant to what has happened in the first two games.
Energy and enthusiasm are only part of the equation. It is true that poor shooting is a problem that is only partially fixable by watching game film. But Deron didn't impulsively throw the ball at Hayward (in front of 19,911 bewildered fans) because of lack of energy; it was because of Hayward not running the offense correctly. And Deron lamented getting off only 11 or 12 shots because of the offense not running well. Watching game film could help that. Not a cure-all. But a help.

On 1320 today, David Locke suggested that Sloan doesn't show game film as a team because players don't pay attention during film review. I don't blame them if all the coaches do is put up the game. Also, Locke suggests that some coaches use film sessions as a means to just show of how well they can cut film. I wouldn't expect Sloan to have a problem with this latter tendency. What I question is how much the coaches talk to players, either individually or as a group, about the specific things that they can do better. Based on Deron's pouting, I would say that they don't do it enough.

It was also suggested on 1320 that the coaches might prefer to primarily use practice to demonstrates players' deficiencies. I still question practice as being a complete way to do that. It's not that hard to queue up a few plays on a DVD (or have the A/V guys prepare an edited version) to show what a player did well and didn't do well. If one or more of the assistant coaches watched the game in advance, the film session could be very efficient. I'm talking 15 or 30 minutes.

In order to provide substantiation, one must understand and recognize it. Since you do not demonstrate the latter qualities, the former winds up ineffective.
Just because you proffer general and vague attacks doesn't make them any less untrue--or more interesting. At least you could put some creativity in your inept insults.

In the meantime, we're having a Jazz discussion on this board. Maybe there's a rant thread on adhominem.com--or a Tea Party rally in East St. Louis--that might suit you more closely.

Just because you proffer general and vague attacks doesn't make them any less untrue--or more interesting. At least you could put some creativity in your inept insults.

You mean, like the surgical skill used by the poster who said, "It's the strategy, stupid." I must admit, the creativity, specificity, and clarity offered by that remark does set some sort of bar for inept insults. It should be very obvious what the difference is between posters who can and can not pass that bar.

In the meantime, we're having a Jazz discussion on this board.

That's why I'm here. Conversations with you are just amusing by-products.

Maybe there's a rant thread on adhominem.com

Neer been there. Waht's it like?

--or a Tea Party rally in East St. Louis--that might suit you more closely.

Yes, my politics are well known for how they align with typical Tea Party rhetoric.

InGameStrategy said:
It's not that hard to queue up a few plays on a DVD (or have the A/V guys prepare an edited version) to show what a player did well and didn't do well.

What a remarkable thought. After players have dressed, stretched,and warmed up, start the practice by sitting them all down for 10-15 minutes while they watch film, then have them go out on the practice floor after cooling off. What a wonderfully specific, clear, and creative suggestion; there couldn't possibly be any negative consequences you haven't thought about. An even better one would be to have them practice immediately, and then one they are tired and sweaty, force them to concentrate on a film session before they have the chance to cool down and shower.

With insight like this, I wonder if anyone can give a good reason you are not an NBA coach?

I'm amazed anyone takes the time to read InGameStrategy's (what a ****ing brilliant moniker) posts.

If he's got ideas on what might help, like a team film session, probably the best thing Deron can do is talk to Sloan about his ideas in more detail instead of venting thru the press. Share his thoughts and frustrations. After all, both really do want to get over this hump and start winning.

In order to provide substantiation, one must understand and recognize it. Since you do not demonstrate the latter qualities, the former winds up ineffective.

Gawd, you must drive the ladies wild in bed.