What's new

Al Jefferson redemption

Jefferson > Boozer. We actually have a shot out west with Jefferson.
We have a shot with the fourth quarter Jefferson vs. Orlando. We do not have a shot with the first half Jefferson vs. Orlando. Given that AJ moved his feet in Q4 and did not in Q1, it's mostly about effort and focus.

We have a shot with the fourth quarter Jefferson vs. Orlando. We do not have a shot with the first half Jefferson vs. Orlando. Given that AJ moved his feet in Q4 and did not in Q1, it's mostly about effort and focus.

Which should come with Big Al getting more comfy with what he needs to do. Hard to focus when you've got a million questions running through your head at once. IMO these two early wins are a really great sign because I think this Jazz team will be much better in the second half of the season than it is now and I think most of that centers around Jefferson finding his comfort zone.

It didn't take Boozer this long to get used to being with the Jazz....

Boozer did not join a team full of players who already new how to run the system. With Boozer a lot of them learned together on the go and so he did not stick out so much for not knowing the system like Big Al is.

I'm as big of a Boozer hater as anybody, but let me be the first to admit that I think Carlos is indeed more of thinking mans player when compared to Big Al. Hmmm, why could that be? Probably because Boozer spent 4 years in one of the most structured basketball programs in the nation while playing for Coach K at Duke. On the flip side, Big Al bullied through Mississippi High School Basketball with so much superior talent that took him straight to the Pros.

The guy has never had to think, and now that he's been asked to, people are freaking out because we're 8 games into the season and Big Al isn't 100% kosher with the offense. It blows my mind that some people acutally need this explained to them.

Exactly.

Boozer played in a similar system at Duke for three years. I don't think they were running the flex at Prentiss in Miss. #duh

Which should come with Big Al getting more comfy with what he needs to do. Hard to focus when you've got a million questions running through your head at once. IMO these two early wins are a really great sign because I think this Jazz team will be much better in the second half of the season than it is now and I think most of that centers around Jefferson finding his comfort zone.
Maybe on offense, but his not moving his feet on defense and not boxing out are inexcusable.

He was being suffocated until he started putting forth more effort. Maybe the third quarter gave him some rest time, but I think that it was more watching the team on the court actually moving their feet--and either catching the vision of actually contributing more actively to victory (not that Millsap hadn't been a model of that in previous games) or fearing (consciously or subconsciously) that his minutes were going to get cut, if for no other reason that other combinations were working. As in twice in a row for huge comebacks..

Not that his minutes would be cut to--say--7 minutes per game (or less than 5 minutes per available game), just to pull a number out of a hat << rolleyes >>. But maybe 30 or less instead of 35+. Cuz that's what happened in South Beach.

While he may look lost out there some of the time, he's already made almost as many defensive plays this season than Boozer made all of last season.

It didn't take Boozer this long to get used to being with the Jazz....

Boozer First season with Jazz
Games played: 53
Mins: 34.8
Rebs.per game: 9.0
PPG: 17.8
Blks.: 0,5
Asst: 2.8
Stls: 0.8

BigAl's First season with Jazz
Games played so far: 8
MPG: 37.8
Rebs.per game: 9.3
PPG: 16.6
Blks.: 1.4
Asst: 1.0
Stls: 0.2

doesn't look so far off if you ask me

Boozer First season with Jazz
Games played: 53
Mins: 34.8
Rebs.per game: 9.0
PPG: 17.8
Blks.: 0,5
Asst: 2.8
Stls: 0.8

BigAl's First season with Jazz
Games played so far: 8
MPG: 37.8
Rebs.per game: 9.3
PPG: 16.6
Blks.: 1.4
Asst: 1.0
Stls: 0.2

doesn't look so far off if you ask me

Well compare the first 8 games

Boozer's first month with the Jazz
8 games
34 minutes per game
22.1 ppg
10.3 rpg
59% FG
.25 steals per game
.25 blocks
2.3 assists per

Boozer shooting 59% would be a good indicator of grasping the system faster. Al only shooting 45% which is only 5% lower than his career average. Which seems low for a big man. So this might be what is to be expected from him, only slightly better.

Boozer really got off to great start with the Jazz he had 27/11 first night against the Lakers and then had a 30/17 his third game against Denver.

Al hasn't been as terrible as people say but he hasn't had the start Boozer had.

I'm as big of a Boozer hater as anybody, but let me be the first to admit that I think Carlos is indeed more of thinking mans player when compared to Big Al. Hmmm, why could that be? Probably because Boozer spent 4 years in one of the most structured basketball programs in the nation while playing for Coach K at Duke. On the flip side, Big Al bullied through Mississippi High School Basketball with so much superior talent that took him straight to the Pros.

The guy has never had to think, and now that he's been asked to, people are freaking out because we're 8 games into the season and Big Al isn't 100% kosher with the offense. It blows my mind that some people actually need this explained to them.

Man. It feels so warm and cozy when I see great thoughts like this posted on these forums. While the bickering can be amusing, it's stuff like that that keeps bringing me back.

Boozer was a remarkable rebounder, AL will never be that good at rebounding but he's a hell of a lot better at defense too! Hopefully Big Al's baby hook starts to drop some more cause it looks broke right now

Jefferson is clearly a good player. He just needs to adjust to the new system and get in shape.

And Fesenko needs to get minutes EVERY GAME. I'm afraid that once Okur comes back, Fes will go back to being a career bench warmer.

I keep forgetting we have Memo. Sigh...
He's going to come in, and make this team worse. We really don't need him. His shooting skills don't make up for his defensive ineptness.

I like the idea of memo coming back. I wonder what Memo's thoughts are while he's watching this team? I am sure a healthy Memo brings a lot to the table by adding a shooter and spreading the floor. But with Al, Fes, and with how well Elson has played, I wonder what the FO is thinking of doing with Memo... I am not suggesting the Jazz NEED to trade, but with the depth in the front court they have showed thus far, I imagine the FO is wondering if a healthy Memo is a tradeable piece that could bring some depth at another position.... like the 2.

Well compare the first 8 games

Boozer's first month with the Jazz
8 games
34 minutes per game
22.1 ppg
10.3 rpg
59% FG
.25 steals per game
.25 blocks
2.3 assists per

Boozer shooting 59% would be a good indicator of grasping the system faster. Al only shooting 45% which is only 5% lower than his career average. Which seems low for a big man. So this might be what is to be expected from him, only slightly better.

Boozer really got off to great start with the Jazz he had 27/11 first night against the Lakers and then had a 30/17 his third game against Denver.

Al hasn't been as terrible as people say but he hasn't had the start Boozer had.

We also cannot forget that AJ is playing a different position than Bozzer.

We also cannot forget that AJ is playing a different position than Bozzer.

This. He doesn't get nearly as many plays run for him as Boozer did/Paul does. If Boozer was asked to score un-assisted (like Al is) there is no way he'd average 20+ ppg.

I've said it over and over and over again...I am not worried about Jefferson coming into his own. No worries at all.