What's new

Alex Jensen and Irv Roland won't be back

This is unfortunate but also expected. I noticed part way through the season that Alex was rarely in the huddle at the beginning of time outs. He was always out talking to players coming off the floor while several others surrounded Hardy. He is a very good coach and I wish him well.

Losing Jensen was inevitable, but it still sucks. He did wonders with Rudy and I was hoping he could do the same with Kessler.

Yeah, I was hoping Hardy would keep him on so that he could keep working with Kessler.

I don't get this one. Clearly Rudy Gobert is Alex Jensen 's best student and Walker Kessler is his second child.

I think he has been an amazing trainer. Perhaps he isn't who you want as lead assistant, but we should retain him on staff if possible in that specialized role of working with the big men.

Sad to see him go. But I do trust Hardy knows what he is doing.

I don't get this one. Clearly Rudy Gobert is Alex Jensen 's best student and Walker Kessler is his second child.

I think he has been an amazing trainer. Perhaps he isn't who you want as lead assistant, but we should retain him on staff if possible in that specialized role of working with the big men.

He probably wants to leave

The Hardy-Jensen marriage was a shot gun wedding. Jensen applied for the job when Quin departed, didn't get it but still was under contract to the Jazz and probably was asked to keep Jensen around. I'm guessing Jensen's contract expired and was not renewed. This may be better for all parties. Jensen either reunited with Quin or gets a head coaching job.

It's almost impossible to really know how good an assistant coach is, but the evidence we have suggests Alex Jensen is a great coach and possibly the best big man coach in the NBA. He'll be missed.

It seems the only reason Jensen stayed on was the money we owed him and that he didn't want to give up. I'm glad he was able to have at least a year with Kessler. At least publicly he didn't create any drama, but I'm not surprised he is leaving. It will be interesting to see where he lands next.

Kinda sucks… I like having the different groups working together. Hopefully Hardy is bringing in dudes he loves or that have some differing points of view or strengths.

I have a small inside resource on Alex… I will ask if they have plans on the next stop or if they know. My guess is this was close to mutual parting of ways.

The Stars coach this year impressed me as the team improved as the season went on. Plus Hardy hired him so he is one of his guys.

Not a surprise, I think the bigger surprise was staying on staff after not getting the HC job.
Teams arent super keen on paying assistant coach salaries (of which Jensen had one comparable to many head coaches) for guys not to work.

Teams arent super keen on paying assistant coach salaries (of which Jensen had one comparable to many head coaches) for guys not to work.

I'm surprised that Jensen didn't chose to leave leave himself. When the incumbent coach does not get the HC job they almost always leave to another team. It's an awkward situation for both sides.

I'm surprised that Jensen didn't chose to leave leave himself. When the incumbent coach does not get the HC job they almost always leave to another team. It's an awkward situation for both sides.
He probably had a couple of million reasons to stay.

Is this accurate? I mean, it is clear Alex was super connected to Rudy's development, but I didn't get that sense with WK and Alex. I get the sense that WK is super connected to Hardy. I'm sure Alex was primarily working with WK, but doesn't mean they developed the same AJ/RG connection.

I loved Alex as a player at the U. Love guys that make the most with very little. He has the grit factor that is very easy to root for. I've had minor interactions with him and all super positive. He is a quality dude. And quality people tend to land on their feet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex surface in Minny.

Alex has had great opportunities that he passed down to be loyal to the Jazz. Primarily loyal to the previous owner group. Loyalty to an organization has all kinds to potential of eating you up in the end. True of any soulless organization. Coaching at the NBA/Division 1 level is a tough life. These guys are super smart. They know it is a super difficult life and what they are signing up for. Alex actually had a more impressive run with one organization than 99% of the people in his business. Nothing to be ashamed of. Life is always moving forward.

Is this accurate? I mean, it is clear Alex was super connected to Rudy's development, but I didn't get that sense with WK and Alex. I get the sense that WK is super connected to Hardy. I'm sure Alex was primarily working with WK, but doesn't mean they developed the same AJ/RG connection.

I loved Alex as a player at the U. Love guys that make the most with very little. He has the grit factor that is very easy to root for. I've had minor interactions with him and all super positive. He is a quality dude. And quality people tend to land on their feet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex surface in Minny.

Alex has had great opportunities that he passed down to be loyal to the Jazz. Primarily loyal to the previous owner group. Loyalty to an organization has all kinds to potential of eating you up in the end. True of any soulless organization. Coaching at the NBA/Division 1 level is a tough life. These guys are super smart. They know it is a super difficult life and what they are signing up for. Alex actually had a more impressive run with one organization than 99% of the people in his business. Nothing to be ashamed of. Life is always moving forward.
Does Hardy know that he sacked a former GLeague Coach of the Year?

One thing I saw when looking back at info about Jensen is that last year he had 2 years left on his deal, so he does seem to be getting out a year early. Wonder if he has a promise for Quin's staff that keeps him in the head assistant position. He could also be in line to go for Houston's job potentially.