What's new

All-Star Game Intensity

checkbookdoc

I just came across a video of an old college wrestling All-Star match (link below) and was blown away at how incredible it was to watch two of the greatest in a sport compete against each other. What is amazing is that this is an exhibition match and so had no effect on either wrestlers official record, but they still went 100% at each other. It is interesting to compare this exhibition to the NBA All-Star game where nobody tries... at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGU05NR1ePc

Some people suggest that NBA players don't try in the AS game because it is not worth it to them, or they are worried about getting hurt. While that may be somewhat true, I think the real problem is they don't feel like they are being personally challenged, like their pride is at stake.

So my question is, what ideas are there on how to make players compete with real intensity? I think this could be interesting!

My suggestion would be four teams of five players who compete in a tournament. Each team could then participate in two games of 5 to 8 minutes in length (with one timeout each). Maybe have the teams picked by captains. The first round could be between the same conference (east vs east and west vs west) and then the second round would be winner east vs winner west and looser east vs looser west. At the end you have them ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and last. I think the incentive to win, and especially the incentive to not be the looser would get the players to take pride and then intensity would pick up.

What do you think? What other ideas could be made?

I was thinking maybe a cash prize for the winning team? Maybe follow the MLB way and give home court advantage for the Finals to whichever conference wins.

I don't think money is the solution, I think pride is. These are some of the most competitive men in the world, I suspect that being labeled as a looser would be more significant for them (and their brand) than an extra million dollars. I also don't like the home court idea... I think that is needed to keep teams competing all season long.

I don't think money is the solution, I think pride is. These are some of the most competitive men in the world, I suspect that being labeled as a looser would be more significant for them (and their brand) than an extra million dollars. I also don't like the home court idea... I think that is needed to keep teams competing all season long.

So the solution is public shaming? Should we do it Game of Thrones style like they did to Cercei?

So the solution is public shaming? Should we do it Game of Thrones style like they did to Cercei?

LOL. I don't follow game of thrones so your reference is a little beyond me... but yes, the idea is to make someone feel good about winning and also have an aversion to loosing. I suppose we could continue to give everyone a participation trophy.

P.S. Are you on the board for my kid's soccer league? You perspective seems familiar. ;)

LOL. I don't follow game of thrones so your reference is a little beyond me... but yes, the idea is to make someone feel good about winning and also have an aversion to loosing. I suppose we could continue to give everyone a participation trophy.

P.S. Are you on the board for my kid's soccer league? You perspective seems familiar. ;)

It's an All-Star game... Who cares? I'd rather not see players I like get injured in a meaningless exhibition game. You really think million dollar athletes give a **** what you think about them if they lose an All-Star game? They don't. Only way to make them care is either give the game stakes like the MLB game or pay them money for winning. Making fun of them isnt going to do anything.

There are no participation trophies for the All-Star game. The All-Star game is just a recognition award for the 12 best players from each conference. These players have worked their asses off for that recognition, it's hardly equivalent to your kid's ****ty soccer league.

If they really want to fix it: Make the game shorter (even in the case it's more competitive, there will still be coasting during the middle of the game, so just cut out those minutes and make the game 40 minutes), put some kind of stakes in it that affect the NBA season/playoffs, and give the players some kind of financial incentive for winning.

It's an All-Star game... Who cares?

Part of my OP was to point out how amazing it is when the best in the world compete against each other. The desire to see the best ballers playing against and with each other is the reason the All-Star game even exists. If the NBA is not going to try and create that experience then I agree, it is just a meaningless game and should be removed.

I agree with shortening the game, but I don't think the financial incentives are the solution because they vary too widely across players and are subject to change over time. However, pride and competitiveness are pretty constant across time and players.

Drop the actual game and do more skills based stuff for fun. Get rid of other participants in the dunk and 3 point contest who are not all Stars.

I don't want my teams all star getting worn down and risking injury for a meaningless game. I want my team to prioritize winning games which includes resting my all star player to get the most out of him. Make it East vs West in a bunch of different challenge games for fun. Bring back things like horse for the all Stars. I like seeing the players relax and have fun. We see them play hard basketball all season already why do we care about them playing hard for 1 meaningless game?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

Drop the actual game and do more skills based stuff for fun. Get rid of other participants in the dunk and 3 point contest who are not all Stars.

I don't want my teams all star getting worn down and risking injury for a meaningless game. I want my team to prioritize winning games which includes resting my all star player to get the most out of him. Make it East vs West in a bunch of different challenge games for fun. Bring back things like horse for the all Stars. I like seeing the players relax and have fun. We see them play hard basketball all season already why do we care about them playing hard for 1 meaningless game?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd much rather see a semi-serious 1 on 1 tournament of All-Stars than a semi-serious All-Star game.

And good lord, please no Horse. The one year they did it was terrible.

I can understand the getting injured fear. However, in all my time following the NBA the only injury I recall is when Wade broke Kobes noes....

I'd much rather see a semi-serious 1 on 1 tournament of All-Stars than a semi-serious All-Star game.

And good lord, please no Horse. The one year they did it was terrible.
1vs1 would be even worse. I don't mind watching horse but I don't really care what the games are as long as they are light hearted fun things that are not really taxing. Or make them do something completely different that's fun and entertaining for fans and players. Make them compete at something non basketball related for fun and give the players a fun relaxing weekend.

Im not sure why the reward for making an all star is extra work and an extra game for the players. That is a punishment. Players already are playing too many games and want to play less.

1vs1 would be even worse. I don't mind watching horse but I don't really care what the games are as long as they are light hearted fun things that are not really taxing. Or make them do something completely different that's fun and entertaining for fans and players. Make them compete at something non basketball related for fun and give the players a fun relaxing weekend.

Im not sure why the reward for making an all star is extra work and an extra game for the players. That is a punishment. Players already are playing too many games and want to play less.

Knockout is always an exciting game.

Part of my OP was to point out how amazing it is when the best in the world compete against each other. The desire to see the best ballers playing against and with each other is the reason the All-Star game even exists. If the NBA is not going to try and create that experience then I agree, it is just a meaningless game and should be removed.

I agree with shortening the game, but I don't think the financial incentives are the solution because they vary too widely across players and are subject to change over time. However, pride and competitiveness are pretty constant across time and players.
watch the defense the first few minutes. not gobert level defense but still DEFENSE BEING PLAYED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3AVXhRoG9c&t=449s

honestly it is the participation trophy generation!