What's new

All Star Weekend Thread

Anyone hear about changes in skills challenge lineups? Sexton still listed everywhere as a participant.

Apparently they reported the injury being day-to-day. I missed that memo.

Here is the star of the entire weekend…Janelle Monae.

1. In her first time in the game, while on offense Jenelle was guarding an opponent! “Janelle, we on offense, we on offense” a miked up coach D Wade was screaming at her. Incredibly hilarious.

2. In her second time on the floor, Janelle actually played in shades!

1676739261830.png

By the way, Knicks superstar Quentin Grimes was robbed of the Rising Stars MVP. Just because his team didn’t win, they didn’t give him the MVP trophy. Guy scored 14 of his team’s 20 points!

1676739683222.png

Got to attend the Celebrity Game and Rookie Game. I honestly wasn’t expecting much, but it made me feel like a kid again. It was a great time.

Unfortunately, Utah still struggling with the don’t be racist initiative. As this was happening, I literally said “this is gonna be racist”. And it was the least surprising thing ever.

View: https://twitter.com/simuliu/status/1626790342912622592?s=46&t=2duMjGKXjb_pPE_j49EU1g

They do this dumb crap at nearly every stadium in the US, and this is the first time I've ever heard outrage about it.

On another note, I haven't been to a Jazz game in a decade or so, but is this something that they even do there normally? I've seen games on League Pass where instead of going to commercial the camera stays on inside the arena, and I've seen putting contests, a Press Your Luck game, a "Guess Where the Logo Is on the Back of Three Moving Coins" game, people showing their shoes, random people dancing, etc. But I don't remember ever seeing this one.

If the Jazz don't normally do this, is this even them at this point? Or is this something the NBA did themselves?

Last edited:
Got to attend the Celebrity Game and Rookie Game. I honestly wasn’t expecting much, but it made me feel like a kid again. It was a great time.

Unfortunately, Utah still struggling with the don’t be racist initiative. As this was happening, I literally said “this is gonna be racist”. And it was the least surprising thing ever.

View: https://twitter.com/simuliu/status/1626790342912622592?s=46&t=2duMjGKXjb_pPE_j49EU1g

Isn’t the NBA’s team in charge of these sorts of things during an event like this? I get why it’s not great, but how many white guys who look nothing like a celebrity get stuck on a Jumbotron. Obsessed with being offended is what we are.

Overall things seem to be going well. The Rising Star’s game wasn’t real full at first (I think plenty were stuck at the Celebrity Game) but it filled out good as the game went on. All Star practice has been well attended today.

Day 2 will have no racism. We promise!

They do this dumb crap at nearly every stadium in the US, and this is the first time I've ever heard outrage about it.

On another note, I haven't been to a Jazz game in a decade or so, but is this something that they even do there normally? I've seen games on League Pass where instead of going to commercial the camera stays on inside the arena, and I've seen putting contests, a Press Your Luck game, a "Guess Where the Logo Is on the Back of Three Moving Coins" game, people showing their shoes, random people dancing, etc. But I don't remember ever seeing this one.

If the Jazz don't normally do this, is this even them at this point? Or is this something the NBA did themselves?
The one thing I realized from being there is that this was put on by the league, but the venue was in SLC. If you didn’t see the jerseys in the rafters, you wouldn’t know you were in Utah. This was evident as soon as you walked in to the arena and heard F words in songs. Never heard that in Vivint ever. Maybe the people who work as ushers and concessions and janitorial are the same, but that’s it. It wasn’t the Jazz putting on an event for the league — it was the league putting on an event in SLC. If there’s a problem with what happened there, one can be embarrassed for Utah all they want, but this wasn’t their party, if the concern is how this looks for them.

The one thing I realized from being there is that this was put on by the league, but the venue was in SLC. If you didn’t see the jerseys in the rafters, you wouldn’t know you were in Utah. This was evident as soon as you walked in to the arena and heard F words in songs. Never heard that in Vivint ever. Maybe the people who work as ushers and concessions and janitorial are the same, but that’s it. It wasn’t the Jazz putting on an event for the league — it was the league putting on an event in SLC. If there’s a problem with what happened there, one can be embarrassed for Utah all they want, but this wasn’t their party, if the concern is how this looks for them.
Too much nuance… verdict is in… Utah racist AF.

It is such a dumb thing to do though… I continue to be shocked by the lack of common sense.

So who picked Lauri and when was he picked?