What's new

All Star Weekend Thread

I enjoyed the Saturday night events more than usual, obviously because it was here but also because it wasn't so loud. They didn't have a ton of announcers and commentators yelling over each other.

Jordan was a disappointment, but my Walker love grew. Being an Ogden girl, I loved Lillard's win (sorry Lauri). And McClung was . Had to laugh at Malone's low scoring. It was as though he had already picked his winner and was making sure it happened (not that help was needed).

The Utah news media has been hyping up the crowds downtown, but every picture they showed had few people. They made it sound like tons of things were happening, so my brother in law wandered down today. Unless you paid to get into the Crossover event, there was little to see and do. It feels like it was overhyped.

All in all, good show by Utah. If only tickets had been a bit cheaper, they could have sold out.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

I enjoyed the Saturday night events more than usual, obviously because it was here but also because it wasn't so loud. They didn't have a ton of announcers and commentators yelling over each other.

Jordan was a disappointment, but my Walker love grew. Being an Ogden girl, I loved Lillard's win (sorry Lauri). And McClung was . Had to laugh at Malone's low scoring. It was as though he had already picked his winner and was making sure it happened (not that help was needed).

The Utah news media has been hyping up the crowds downtown, but every picture they showed had few people. They made it sound like tons of things were happening, so my brother in law wandered down today. Unless you paid to get into the Crossover event, there was little to see and do. It feels like it was overhyped.

All in all, good show by Utah. If only tickets had been a bit cheaper, they could have sold out.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app
Idk, from what I saw everything ended up pretty full. The thing is a lot of people in the lower bowl are reserved seating for family of players and event people. So I’m cases of things like Rising Stars (or tonight) most show up late. There was quite a few events like small concerts, live podcasts and things like that. I would agree that Crossover could have been like $20 instead of $40 though. If anyone is interested in something to go to tomorrow, a remind the G-League stars game will be going on tomorrow, tickets are $15 and GA

I find this year's skills challenge boring. The first 2 round is too easy and it only gets interesting on the 3rd round which is shooting. I prefer 2020 when 2 players go head to head and everything is there . you have no room for mistake. One miss and you're left behind.

If they're good enough.. yeah why not? Are you discriminating?

Yeah I am, its NBA all star weekend, not some ****ing pick up game. I think to be eligible for the dunk contest you should either have to be in the game or in the top 50 of voting. give a million bucks to the winner.

Yeah I am, its NBA all star weekend, not some ****ing pick up game. I think to be eligible for the dunk contest you should either have to be in the game or in the top 50 of voting. give a million bucks to the winner.
Well McClung just made it the most fun Dunk contest in years.. so your theory is pretty much wrong.. lol..

Pretty sure JC was still recovering from Friday night. The Skills Comp could have been better but the 3-Point and Slam Dunk was solid. I'll give Day 2 an overall score of 47.

Eh, I hate to invoke "the olden days" but in the 70's-80's-90's they took it as a point of pride with the whole east vs west thing and some of those games were among the most entertaining of the year. Yeah defense was never the Hallmark of the game, but by no stretch was it completely absent, and as the time wound town in the 4th quarter they would ratchet up both offense and defense because they legitimately wanted to win the game. But it's morphed into a bunch of entitled douches running layup drills and throwing high fives and trying to one-up each other with no one giving a single **** about the game or the fans. It felt like there was a time when they understood they were there to entertain the fans and give a good showing for the ones paying them to play a kids game and winning was a matter of pride. Now they **** on the fans, care only about making themselves look good and their pride is in their multi-hundred-million dollar contracts. And frankly they don't hide any of it. It shows true disdain for the people who spend their money for the entertainment and make it so these over-grown man-children can experience wealth on a nearly unfathomable scale before they turn 30. It's part of what makes players like Conley such a breath of fresh air as it feels like he's one of the few who doesn't let that entitlement become his entire persona and actually shows *gasp* gratitude for what he has been "blessed" with, however you choose to define that.
I think it is a massive mistake to put any "one player" into a category of "they". The fact is everyone has a certain level of entitlement on this planet, and some are just compensated well because of their ability. The problem is when certain individuals use that reward, as a pedestal to force their personal opinion, it makes the average observer like us, quick to place judgement, and decide "they" are collectively all the the same. The truth is everyone is different, and being a rich young athlete may make you more prone to arrogance, but I am guessing few if any actually think they didn't earn it, or deserve it.

I think the players would absolutely want to play a real game. Those who make the ASG are all competitive af.

Its the clubs, media and fans of the top contenders who dont want to see their stars injured in a meaningless game. If they would play hard, lots of guys would drop out because of various "injuries".

I remember this used to be a huge debate way back when those drop outs became common practice.

As for the dunk contest, it was a good dunk contest considering how bad the contest has been over the last few years. The 3pt contest and dunk contest were a good success last night