What's new

amnesty players jazz might have interest in?

Jeb

Likely players to be released:
Brandon Roy
Richard Jefferson
Rashard Lewis
Bo Outlaw

There is no one that I am very interested in. I would rather see the young guys grow together and add complimentary pieces to the team. I think that we have a solid core and during the next two drafts the Jazz should add BPA to the team.

I have also been hearing a lot of talk of Roy being amnestied. I am slightly interested in that if it fit.

I have also been hearing a lot of talk of Roy being amnestied. I am slightly interested in that if it fit.

That's a risk given his knee issues. Will be interesting to see who would take on that risk.

We'll have to see who gets amnestied, first. I don't think there will be a flurry as most of these teams either have too much money or aren't in the LT.

A name I've heard mentioned is Jose Calderon. I like him, but we don't know exactly how amnestied players and a bid system would work exactly. He doesn't exactly fit the bill here in terms of age as many other ideas that I've shot down, but the Jazz need a real PG pretty ****ing badly.

A name I've heard mentioned is Jose Calderon. I like him, but we don't know exactly how amnestied players and a bid system would work exactly.

• 2011 CBA: One player can be waived prior to the start of any season (only one player can be amnestied during the agreement, and contracts signed under the new CBA are not eligible). The salary of the waived player will not count toward the salary cap or luxury tax.
Teams with cap room can submit competing offers to acquire an amnestied player (at a reduced rate) before he hits free agency and can sign with any team.

Teams with cap room can benefit greatly from the amnesty provision by being able to submit a competing offer to claim an amnestied player at a reduced rate. For example, if Cleveland uses its amnesty provision on Baron Davis, a team that is $5 million below the salary cap can submit a $5 million offer to acquire Davis' contract. If that offer is the highest, the team acquires Davis and is responsible for $5 million of his salary -- with Cleveland responsible for the balance. This happens before Davis becomes a free agent and can sign on his own with a team like Miami.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

I guess I'm still foggy. What exactly does "(at a reduced rate)" mean? A reduced rate from their amnestied salary? How reduced? How is the reduction figured?

I guess I'm still foggy. What exactly does "(at a reduced rate)" mean? A reduced rate from their amnestied salary? How reduced? How is the reduction figured?

Okay, so there's this:

For example, if Cleveland uses its amnesty provision on Baron Davis, a team that is $5 million below the salary cap can submit a $5 million offer to acquire Davis' contract. If that offer is the highest, the team acquires Davis and is responsible for $5 million of his salary -- with Cleveland responsible for the balance. This happens before Davis becomes a free agent and can sign on his own with a team like Miami.

So assuming Calderon makes $9 million this year (I think that's in the neighborhood) and he gets amnestied, before he clears waivers, if the Jazz were to throw the MLE ($5 million iirc) at him and no one bid more or had a worse record (I might be making this part up?), then the Jazz get him for $5 million a year for the remaining years on the previous contract (2 years) with Toronto paying the remaining $4 million per year without taking the cap hit?

Okay, so there's this:

So assuming Calderon makes $9 million this year (I think that's in the neighborhood) and he gets amnestied, before he clears waivers, if the Jazz were to throw the MLE ($5 million iirc) at him and no one bid more or had a worse record (I might be making this part up?), then the Jazz get him for $5 million a year for the remaining years on the previous contract (2 years) with Toronto paying the remaining $4 million per year without taking the cap hit?

Bidding war is only for teams under the cap, as far as I've seen. An amnestied player signing as a free agent will collect two contracts, as far as I can tell. Since the Jazz are over the cap, they can't bid on any players, unfortunately, as I've found out. All the potential decent players will probably be nabbed before they become free agents.

Bidding war is only for teams under the cap, as far as I've seen. An amnestied player signing as a free agent will collect two contracts, as far as I can tell. Since the Jazz are over the cap, they can't bid on any players, unfortunately, as I've found out. All the potential decent players will probably be nabbed before they become free agents.
Yeah, that would be a pretty big caveat for the Jazz.

This is all very interesting, BTW. I'm glad they built in these controls so that the Lakers can't just pay the vet minimum to whatever washed up stars they wanted to outright.

This is all very interesting, BTW. I'm glad they built in these controls so that the Lakers can't just pay the vet minimum to whatever washed up stars they wanted to outright.

Almost sounds like they actually did put some thought into competetive balance, eh?;)

Okay, so there's this:

I heard Randy Rigby do an interview last night and talk about this. I think he said it was like a waiver wire, as you described, so based on what the waiver rules are, the worst teams will probably get first crack or will win the tie break. It would be nice to find out exactly how it will work, but I am thinking it will be very close to the way you both described it.

I would just say no to any wing players (Roy) at this point. I want to see Burks get on the floor as much as possible so we can see exactly what we have with this kid. Don't know what it is, but there's just this strange feeling I have that this guy is going to be a huge steal.

If the Jazz amnestied Okur would they be under the new cap? By how much? Would this amount make the Jazz competitive in the bid for Calderon if the Raps amnesty him?

I like the idea of getting him here, even via trade (since I'm assuming he could be had for pennies on the dollar if the Raps are just gonna cut him anyway... a future protected pick?). His presence would give us a lot more flexibility to either move Harris or play him at the 2 for extended minutes.