What's new

An idea to discourage super teams and make the All-Star Game more competitive

The only good idea here is the 10 min quarters. I don't think you can fix the game. Don't try. It is what it is. In fact, embrace it. More alley oops, less defense. 40 minute game. Put a max minute allotment of 20 mins. Let the guys run around, shoot threes and get dunks.

I just can't sign off on that. That would make a guy like Aldridge an all-star over Anthony Davis. I get rewarding winning, but it also puts a huge penalty for anyone trying to help a bad team. Do we punish Davis because his GM is terrible at his job?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
Wouldn't this also punish the GM when Davis leaves because of stuff like this?

I say just pay a huge sum to the players on the winning team, say 1M or more. The losing team gets their expenses paid an no more. So say 35K. The difference in payout should make the game more competitive.

Yeah, but players obviously do place significance on it. I'd just put a max cap on all stars per team at 2, but impose no all-star minimum of any kind.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
I like that, combine it with virtually no money for the losing team and a huge payday for the winning team and the All-star game may be watchable again.

I like that, combine it with virtually no money for the losing team and a huge payday for the winning team and the All-star game may be watchable again.

I still find it hard to believe the NBA is going to pay 12 million dollars (on top of w/e it cost to put on the production) just to make the all-star game better.

I still find it hard to believe the NBA is going to pay 12 million dollars (on top of w/e it cost to put on the production) just to make the all-star game better.

It doesn't make sense to make it competitive in the first place. All-star break is the only relatively long rest the players get.

How much do they currently pay these players? Also how much more could they make if the players acted like they cared? I might watch an all star game if it was slightly entertaining. As it is now, I have 0 interest. The same amount of interest as the players have in the game.

Then don't even bother with the farce of playing the game.

There are people who enjoy watching it. They just need to make it shorter and have a running clock if they dont make any incentive changes. I think it's fun, but I dont enjoy watching the entire thing.

Everyone is talking about the useless All Star game. Can we talk about whether this idea helps achieve a more even distribution of stars across teams? And whether that's a good or a bad thing?