What's new

An interesting video about our Southern border

@Al-O-Meter
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this video.
The thing I kept thinking throughout the video was “why are all the immigrants so short?”

The video maybe didn’t have the impact on me that it would on some because I live near the border and see it all the time. What I can tell you is that in my experience, the quicker someone is to bring race into the discussion, the farther they live from the border. AOC was raised in Connecticut while Omar and Tlaib represent Minnesota and Michigan.

Here on the border, race is almost meaningless. The area is heavily Hispanic. I looked up Sunset Elementary School in San Ysidro and the demographics are 97% Hispanic, but that doesn’t mean anything. One of my son’s teammates is Hispanic and he’s strawberry-blonde with blue eyes and has to cake on the sunscreen. Louis C.K. is Hispanic. Those who are Hispanic can also have an ebony dark complexion. Race doesn’t mean skin color or much of anything.

The far more important aspect is assimilation. How fast can someone from a different culture be turned into an American? I think the busses that Texas Governor Abbott is using to shuttle migrants to cities around the country are absolutely essential and should not be demonized. If you keep migrants together, they don’t assimilate but instead they form ghettos.

I don’t think immigrants bring crime. I think poverty does. Americans make money. Look at any ethnic group around the world and compare them to the diaspora here in the United States. Norwegians make money, but ethnically Norwegian Americans make more. Nigerian income is on the rise, but ethnically Nigerian Americans make more. If we are concerned about crime, and that is a valid concern, then we either have to limit immigration to a level that border regions can handle the hard work of assimilation or we have to distribute that task more broadly through the United States. What we cannot do is open the borders and keep the immigrants there.

The thing I kept thinking throughout the video was “why are all the immigrants so short?”

The video maybe didn’t have the impact on me that it would on some because I live near the border and see it all the time. What I can tell you is that in my experience, the quicker someone is to bring race into the discussion, the farther they live from the border. AOC was raised in Connecticut while Omar and Tlaib represent Minnesota and Michigan.

Here on the border, race is almost meaningless. The area is heavily Hispanic. I looked up Sunset Elementary School in San Ysidro and the demographics are 97% Hispanic, but that doesn’t mean anything. One of my son’s teammates is Hispanic and he’s strawberry-blonde with blue eyes and has to cake on the sunscreen. Louis C.K. is Hispanic. Those who are Hispanic can also have an ebony dark complexion. Race doesn’t mean skin color or much of anything.

The far more important aspect is assimilation. How fast can someone from a different culture be turned into an American? I think the busses that Texas Governor Abbott is using to shuttle migrants to cities around the country are absolutely essential and should not be demonized. If you keep migrants together, they don’t assimilate but instead they form ghettos.

I don’t think immigrants bring crime. I think poverty does. Americans make money. Look at any ethnic group around the world and compare them to the diaspora here in the United States. Norwegians make money, but ethnically Norwegian Americans make more. Nigerian income is on the rise, but ethnically Nigerian Americans make more. If we are concerned about crime, and that is a valid concern, then we either have to limit immigration to a level that border regions can handle the hard work of assimilation or we have to distribute that task more broadly through the United States. What we cannot do is open the borders and keep the immigrants there.
Fantastic post. Insightful as well. Thanks.

Thank you for your response.
I somewhat agree that assimilation is important. I get bothered when I see a Chevy truck with Mexican flags flying and "hecho en mexico" printed on the back window.
I want to let all the suffering people into our country, but I also understand that we simply can't do that without hurting the people that are already here. It's a complicated issue.

Thank you for your response.
I somewhat agree that assimilation is important. I get bothered when I see a Chevy truck with Mexican flags flying and "hecho en mexico" printed on the back window.
I want to let all the suffering people into our country, but I also understand that we simply can't do that without hurting the people that are already here. It's a complicated issue.
It is a complicated issue for sure.