What's new

An observation of cultural climate.

Al-O-Meter

Decades and decades ago, my Mom used to plant crocus flowers in our front yard and every year they were the first flowers to bloom on our street. Sometimes they’d even bloom before the snow fully melted but their appearance marked the end of winter. I feel like the crocus flowers are blooming.

Ultimate_Spider-Man_1_2023_B_virgin_1024px.png

For years now, the few comic book shops remaining have survived on content from Japan. American comic books never cracked the top-20, but that streak has been broken by Ultimate Spider-Man #1 who is a family man married to his long time love. It is a $6 dollar current issue that is being sold for $50 and $60 depending on the cover.

The male characters in the Super Bowl advertisements too were markedly different. They weren’t uniformly inept buffoons being played for comic relief. There were exceptions, but mostly they were men. I’m not the only one who noticed.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/trads-and-dads-best-super-bowl-commercials/

On the front page of CNN.com in between all the usual incendiary political stuff and Super Bowl coverage was an article presenting a poll showing married people were happier.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/09/health/marriage-happiness-wellness/index.html

I tried using VPNs, cookie blockers, and other anonymizers. It isn’t content that is being tailored for me, but published for general consumption. I like it, but it is weird. It feels like a sweeping change in the culture, like a change of season.

Last edited:
For years now, the few comic book shops remaining ...
There are 3 comic book shops within a mile of my home. Just about every town around here big enough for a high school also has a shop. Across the river, St. Louis has a plethora of shops. The number of titles boggles the mind.

Even Dick van Dyke thinks buffoonery Dads in media are a new thing.

View attachment 16013
I'm not saying buffoonery was new or bad. I think my favorite Super Bowl commercial was the Ben Affleck DunKings advertisement for Dunkin Donuts.

I think self-deprecating humor is the best humor and I certainly don't want to see it go away but I did appreciate the more balanced set of depictions this year.

I'm not saying buffoonery was new or bad. I think my favorite Super Bowl commercial was the Ben Affleck DunKings advertisement for Dunkin Donuts.

I think self-deprecating humor is the best humor and I certainly don't want to see it go away but I did appreciate the more balanced set of depictions this year.

Dunkin Donuts offered for sale the orange, pink, and white tracksuits like the ones Affleck, Brady, and Damon wore in the DunKing's advertisements. They sold out completely in 19 minutes.