What's new

Anasazi wilderness therapy

olden_undercover

I'm wondering if anybody here has experience-- personally, another family member, etc.-- with the Anasazi Foundation's wilderness therapy program for adolescents.

This is really personal, but I am beginning to feel a little bit desperate. My oldest daughter has been struggling for a couple of years now with deep emotional/mental health issues. She's been in and out of UNI, outpatient treatment programs, and one-on-one counseling, and it has all been a spectacular failure. She is self-harming, and has scarred up her arms so badly with deep cuts and scratches she will always have marks. She doesn't know how to stop, doesn't feel like clinical professionals understand or care for her, and I don't know how else to help her. Honestly, guys, I feel like the only thing that would help would be me quitting "real life" and spending every minute of every day with her to keep her safe, and so she doesn't feel so alone.

Sorry-- that turned into a ramble. I'm completely heartbroken here. I've heard good things about Anasazi from a high school classmate who sent her son there. I don't expect it to fix everything, and I don't know how I'm going to come up with $30k to get her there, but I'm willing to do it if it will break her routine long enough for her to see through the fog she's living in.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Buy her a copy of The Four Agreements. Take her somewhere peaceful. Sit down and read it together. Promise yourselves that, at a minimum, you'll get to the end of the first agreement before you evaluate this as a good or a bad idea. When I first started reading the book I lost interest somewhere in the prologue because it seemed to cosmic for my tastes... but when it fell into my hands again and I read deeper into the book I realized that I'd discovered something special. IMO, this book is worth reading many times over. It is filled with beautiful principles that could change your daughter's life if she's willing to listen to and apply them.

That sounds like a terrible thing to live through, both for you and for her. I don't know anything about the wilderness program, but I hope you can find something that works.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

After spending two years in southern Utah, and spending sometimes 4 or 5 days a week out wandering in the desert, I can say without hesitation, that if I were in your shoes, I'd send her.

There is something about the area, the culture, the artifacts left behind, and the mystery of those ancient people that draws you in. I can't explain it without sounding like a hippie-dick-bag, but if you're interested in my REAL feelings, you can call me any time. 801-641-7641

Again, I strongly recommend it. The Native American way of thinking about yourself, your future, and your relationship to everything, is truly awe inspiring and a fantastic motivator. (I enrolled in college, after I swore I'd never go back, almost 20 years after I dropped out -- to study anthropology and archaeology. In a million years, that would've never happened if not for my desert wanderings.). Do it man. It will save your little girl.

I personally have no knowledge of the program, but GoFundMe baby! It's amazing the amount of money can get raised through that thing.
If that's the route you go, I'd be willing to bet the majority of people here would at least share it on their Facebook page at the minimum.

I have a few friends who have worked for Anasazi. It's a bit intense. If you're worried about it being too intense, the other one that I have some friends who have worked for is called aspiro. They are AWESOME. these programs are good, much better in my opinion than residential treatment centers.

In my limited experience, I would recommend either, but I would lean more towards aspiro. They seem to have more counselors, and experience a variety of outdoor experiences, not just southern Utah. They don't leave the state, but they do everything from desert to Alpine, and it's not solely primitive stuff. The feeling that I get is that students that come from aspiro get more preparation for life. Anasazi is a wonderful program, though. I don't mean to downplay it.

If you need to talk with someone that has worked for both, I can help facilitate that as well. Let me know.

My cell is 8013013218. Just send me a text. My name is Arne.

Everyone, thank you sincerely for your responses. I can't properly articulate how much it means to me to get both encouragement and practical recommendations/advice, despite none of us really knowing each other on a personal level.

bigb, I probably never would have thought to try gofundme. Great suggestion. And thanks for the offer to put it out on your personal social media-- I'd do anything for my daughter, and just may take you up on that. Stay tuned.

Trout and b_line-- very eager to hear your perspective (hippie-dick-bags know something!) and gather info on possible programs. I will be reaching out over the next few days. Again, thank you!!

How about you get her hooked on fishing. Get away from the city and people, spending time in nature near water is perfect healing environment.

I had two friends go through wilderness programs back 10-15 years ago. It was not helpful to either of them long term. They both had major problems and even though the wilderness camps were intense and they came back in better shape for awhile long term it seemed to make things worse for them and they were very cynical about their experience with their wilderness camps and felt it did more harm to them. I do not know which camps they went through and they might have not been as good as the ones you are looking at, so dont let this shape your choice. Do look into these carefully (B-Line seems to be familiar with them and they sound like better ones) I know one was in Utah the other was Arizona. They were a long time ago and I am guessing many aspects have changed but that is the only experience I have had with them. I am not sure either of these kids who are both adults in prison now could have been reached other ways or if this was their best chance. I would see if any studies have been done on these wilderness camps and if they report any statistics or data about kids going through it.

I am very sorry for what you are going through. I had to go through a lot of mental health treatment things as a teenager and felt like they did nothing but mess me up more. Ultimately I got lucky and my brain and or outlook changed very rapidly around 21. I got a lot happier through life choices and other factors. A change in environment definitely seems to help. Finding any way to change the way someone views the world or their situation is very effective and one way is changing environments and surroundings. I am glad your daughter has great support from you and hopefully others. Knowing someone cares for you and wants the best for you is a huge factor in helping.

One of the reasons I have heard that wilderness camps are effective is because of change in environment and exercise. Exercise can greatly help with depression and suicidal thoughts. I have friends who are therapists who use yoga with their therapy and is works great. There are many studies on the brains connection to the body. Many therapists use yoga to get people into positions that are uncomfortable and cause the brain to make new pathways to compensate. If you use this experience with therapy it can help you look at things in a new way. If you live in SLC area I can point you to some people who are certified therapists and yoga instructors. I know one of them does weekend get away with families for therapy. She goes with the family and does intense therapy sessions with yoga for families in cabins or outdoor areas. It seems to really help.

I personally think a lot of the prescription medication is terrible for treating mental health and is very risky in making it worse. I do know Cannabis in places where it is legal is very helpful to many people. As is lots of other options. I am not suggesting these but I would suggest looking into them and studies on them. Anti-depressants prescribed currently have not really been proven to be more effective than placebos and have side effects and the potential to make things worse and bring out suicidal thoughts or make those thoughts worse.

Kind of some rambling thoughts I have had and hopefully something to think about. I would be happy to help out in anyway.