What's new

annual Bolerhack Sucks thread

When I was 14 I had a job as a waiter in the restaurant of a retirement home because me and my buddy took my parents car out for a joyride and ended up totaling it. My parents were pretty easy going nice people but big on consequences and taking responsibility, so I had to pay back all their expenses. There were a few tables I remember well. The first was "the Monsignor" who was whatever a Monsignor is in the Catholic church. He was a jackass. He was rude, demanding and sat by himself.

Then there was the guy they told me made a lot of money developing recipes for Campbell's soup. He also sat alone, he was also an *******. So this was a full on restaurant. They had two daily specials and a regular menu with maybe 6 items and then a couple things you could have if you ordered ahead (those were mostly special things you might have if you had family visit, we had special tables for the residents to sit at when they had someone join them). This was a full course meal. They could get the soup of the day, or a salad, then the entre, then a dessert. We had a salad bar, but they didn't have to serve themselves. They'd tell me what they wanted and I'd make their salad for them (PITA). But the soup guy always got soup. With soup we provided two packets of crackers. He NEVER ate his crackers. Never. One day I didn't put crackers on his saucer that his soup cup sat on (we even put doilies on the saucer). He pointed out to me that I forgot the crackers. I was like yeah, sorry. When I was at a table near his he mentioned again that he didn't get the crackers. I was like, oh, well **** I guess he wants crackers so that he can not eat them, I guess I better get them. I had been there several months at this point and had dealt with retired people so I got that he was making a point. But I got busy and forgot. I come out of the out door from the kitchen and he's standing there leaning on his cane and he yells at me that I didn't give him his crackers. I tell him I'm sorry. He yells more aggressively, "Sorry is not going to put food in my stomach!" I got his crackers, he told me they were too late.

There were two other guys. One was a retired blackjack dealer who's hands were cramped up in the position he held the cards in when he dealt blackjack. I don't know what the other guy did, he was a very pale, very slim guy with silver hair. What I can say about him is that if there was beef or chicken, he got the chicken. If there was yellow gravy or brown gravy he got the yellow gravy. If there was chocolate ice cream or vanilla ice cream he got the vanilla. He could have any kind of soda, or coffee, or juice... he drank milk. The blackjack dealer and Mr. White (not his real name) HATED each other. They both attempted to get to their seats first at the beginning of dinner service. Then, if you didn't see who got their first and went to the table of the guy who got there second the other one would throw a ****ing fit. The blackjack guy was nice as hell, unless he had gotten there first and you served Mr.White before him, then he was a jackass. Mr. White was never nice, seemed like a ****ing serial killer who got away with it all the way until retirement. I never got his obsession with lighter colored things, but he never broke character with that ****. He ALWAYS picked the lighter colored option.

Close to Mr. White and Blackjack was a table of two of a really small thin German woman and a bigger German woman. They were generally nice, but would get frustrated when I couldn't understand them. The bigger German woman wanted the ice cream sandwich when it was available, but she didn't call it an ice cream sandwich, she called it "da brick." And she'd say "da brick! da brick! da brick!" while making a rectangle gesture with her hand. She also would order a custom salad and I'd **** it up every time. He table was the closest table to the salad bar of any table in the place, and she'd insist on trying to tell me how to make her salad. She was never happy with the salad I'd give her.

Then there was a table of four women. The nicest women you could ever meet. Smart, nice, fully self aware. One of them asked for something a certain way and I messed it up. When I came back she explained what I had done wrong and she pulled me in and said "I know we all have our idiosyncrasies, and I'm sorry, but this is how I like this." I never forgot it and I never messed it up again. Another one needed me to open her crackers and would complain that they made the package so hard to open and apologize for needing me to open it for her. I was always so happy when I got their section.

There was another guy who sat with another guy, but this guy was the playboy of the retirement home. He was gregarious and he wore colorful silk print shirts and too much cologne. He was just the type that was happy to see you and would laugh and joke and be nice and positive all the time.

Anyway, I was 14. I figured out that miserable assholes just get old and become even more miserable assholes. And that nice people get old and just get sweeter and nicer.
Somehow I read this whole thing. I don't remember what this thread was about, but I enjoyed the post.

You're so worldly!
I'm still waiting for your evidence that Warren is a better administrator/manager, etc. than Sanders. I've called you out like 3 times.

It appears that your beliefs are as mysterious as the desire for a Mini Clubman.

He's likable. What baffles me is that no one ever chooses to teach him basic basketball rules and terminology. All Matty needs to do is whisper in his ear the difference between a skip pass and a bounce pass (my pet peeve). He complains about calls that are clearly correct. But he's nice and articulate so I guess you can't have it all.
Boone has tried to do that in an indirect way but Biker doesn't pick up on it or doesn't care. It's annoying but also funny. In the end I like listening to Boler even while rolling my eyes at things he says.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm still waiting for your evidence that Warren is a better administrator/manager, etc. than Sanders. I've called you out like 3 times.

It appears that your beliefs are as mysterious as the desire for a Mini Clubman.
We're leaving in about 5min to go buy the mini...

The best NBA announcing duo in recent memory was Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith with the Clips (and I say that as someone who hated Smith in college). Bolerjack is very middle-of-the-pack. While he has his foibles and shortcomings (the skip pass versus bounce pass thing is also one of my pet peeves), he isn't an over-the-top annoying homer, complainer, and officiating second-guesser like a fair percentage of announcers out there (see, e.g., the Celtics duo). But the Jazz color guys (Harpring, Boone, and Thurl) bring almost nothing to the table. I would love it if they would hire Nike Smith full time. The game where he did color for the Jazz last season was the most enjoyable one of the season. Smith actually does his homework and adds insightful commentary sprinkled with amusing observations, in contrast to Harpring who just spouts the most obvious thing that comes to his head and seems completely humorless.

I think all the hate is making me actually love Boler. I simply just didn’t mind him before this thread.
The dude’s been gainfully employed in the world of sports broadcasting for 30+ years, has been employed locally, nationally as an NFL play-by-play guy, as well as nationally in college football for CBS and the SEC. Not to mention his current NBA gig. While I will totally admit that he’s better suited for football, this guy has done it at the highest levels for over 3 decades while somehow being “A Hack”.
But hey, obviously Jazzfanz knows something that has managed to slip past executives affiliated with the NFL, NBA, CBS, and the SEC combined.
There’s a lot you should know about the actual production end of the Entertainment industry. I can tell you more about it than I ever wanted to know. I can see why Boler is a safe option in this world. Safe options who can hit their marks without technical disruptions can have weirdly long careers. If you’re thinking in the correct analytical terms, you’ll suddenly notice that these “safeties” are in every silo of Entertainment. Very well represented group.

Stole your parents car? You turd.
Yeah, and I've been a working man since the age of 14 as a result. Once I paid off the expenses from the accident I enjoyed being able to afford expensive clothes as a 15 year old, and my own car as a 16 year old.

I wonder where this will rank on your list of mistakes??
It couldn't possibly break the top ten. If we financed it and as we drove off the lot it turned to a pile of dust it wouldn't break the top ten.

I'm a pretty big **** up.

When I was 16, I had this job at Burger King so I could pay for prom tickets for my date and me, as well as a few other related expenses. It was the first job I had that lasted more than a week. I worked at BK for like 6 months. They never let me work the cash registers because I didn't suffer fools gladly and tended to tell morons they're morons. Morons don't like that. I couldn't be bothered to remember what goes into which sandwich because who cares and what difference does it makes. I once grabbed the fry basket after lifting it out of the fryer, because I was talking to a colleague about how Karl just dropped 50 on the Sonics in the playoff opener. I made a fish sandwich for someone at closing time from a piece of fish I had fried when I came in for my 6-hour shift. I mean, you order a fish sandwich at BK, you deserved that. They mostly just put me in the back to wash dishes, which I happily did because they allowed me to control the radio which I put on classic rock. I used to steal food at the end of my shift. I would make myself that long chicken sandwich BK had, but I would first dip the patty into gravy. Then I'd top it with bacon and a whopper patty. Then I'd eat it as I walked home at 10PM.

I feel that Boler is about as competent at his job as I was at mine.
Pretty funny that you tell us that they didn't put you at the cash register because you don't do well with morons, and then you throw out loads of evidence that you're a moron.

Pretty funny that you tell us that they didn't put you at the cash register because you don't do well with morons, and then you throw out loads of evidence that you're a moron.

In my defense, I was 16. I'm expected to be a moron. When you're 35 and choose to eat at Burger King, you have no such excuse.

In my defense, I was 16. I'm expected to be a moron. When you're 35 and choose to eat at Burger King, you have no such excuse.
I worked as a dishwasher at a very nice restaurant when I was 14. I worked very hard and always did the best job I could. I've always believed that people who act like morons when they are 16 (or any other age) are doing so because they are morons.

I tend to care about a company as much as it cares about me. I figure that's fair.
That's a fair recipe for a downward spiral. If people don't make an effort to give more than they take it's never long until the taking outpaces the giving by a large margin.