What's new

Another quasi-silly question.

Matthew Thomas Castleton

Why the hell does the NBA wait for more than a month just to do the freaking lottery? Why don't they just do it now? None of the teams in the lottery are in the playoffs, so, it is not like they have a lot of other things to do before then. I can understand why they do the draft when then do, but why exactly do they wait wait so long just to pull some freaking bingo balls?

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Why the hell does the NBA wait for more than a month just to do the freaking lottery? Why don't they just do it now? None of the teams in the lottery are in the playoffs, so, it is not like they have a lot of other things to do before then. I can understand why they do the draft when then do, but why exactly do they wait wait so long just to pull some freaking bingo balls?

The NBA wants to make sure we are all completely bored with the two week long extravaganza known as the first round...Where Indy sweeps some crappy team then doesn't play for 10 days.

Because the NBA is tease. They build up anticipation and interest until it is about to bust. . . junior high flash-back.

It's not a silly question. I've wondered the same thing. Even crazier is that The Lottery is held after the draft combine. Why not have it before? It makes no sense to me.

I wonder if they wait until the players have to decide whether to enter the draft or not. I know the "entry date" has passed, but it doesn't truly pass until April 27th. It would theoretically keep a player from deciding if he should enter based on the teams picking early in the draft. Probably also to keep fans interested between the end of the season and the draft.

It is the way for the NBA to keep the product in the spot light. They stretch the season out. Playoffs now, then Lottery and then Draftees try, then the draft, FA are signed and then summer for summer league.

I wonder if they wait until the players have to decide whether to enter the draft or not. I know the "entry date" has passed, but it doesn't truly pass until April 27th. It would theoretically keep a player from deciding if he should enter based on the teams picking early in the draft. Probably also to keep fans interested between the end of the season and the draft.

That's what I was thinking at first, but then there is foreign players who don't have to declare till like June.

cus fixing the lottery takes time.

lakers and bsoton are guaranteed the top 2 picks.
takes time fixing that

It is the way for the NBA to keep the product in the spot light. They stretch the season out. Playoffs now, then Lottery and then Draftees try, then the draft, FA are signed and then summer for summer league.
This is the best plausible explanation.

I think that's precisely the reason. I know it's not applicable for foreign players, but they are generally a small percentage of the draft pool. Imagine Jabari, Wiggins and Embiid pulling out of the draft because Milwaukee, Orlando and Minnesota end up with the top-3 picks.

I think that's precisely the reason. I know it's not applicable for foreign players, but they are generally a small percentage of the draft pool. Imagine Jabari, Wiggins and Embiid pulling out of the draft because Milwaukee, Orlando and Minnesota end up with the top-3 picks.

I thought they could do that, as long as they haven't signed with an agent.

I think it's cute you didn't include Utah in your hypothetical top three.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2