What's new

Ante tomic coming next season.

You probably got the gist of it above, but here's more of an actual translation:

Los Utah Jazz están meditando pagar la cláusula de Ante Tomic, al cual draftearon en 2008, para que milite en sus filas la próxima temporada.

"The future of Ante Tomic could lie far from Palau Blaugrana. The Utah Jazz, which drafted the Croatian player in 2008, are seriously considering paying his buyout to include him in their roster in the upcoming season.
" 'Tomic has had a good year in Spain and is part of one of the best teams in Europe. We are at that point where we are trying to make the decision about paying his buyout,' indicated Utah Jazz VP Walt Perrin recently.
"The Salt Lake City franchise selected Tomic 44th in the 2008 draft and is now thinking about the Barcelona center, who has a contract until 2015, to reinforce their roster. This season, he averaged 11.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in 22 minutes per game."

Calling the Jazz the SLC franchise amused me. When I lived in Spain, the media often referred to the Jazz as "la franquicia mormona" (the Mormon franchise).

He is not a great fit but would be an upgrade to what Kanter gives you. That's all it really boils down to. Kanter is a year away from getting a paycheck that could be double digits per year. He regressed last year.

Regressed?

No.

He progressed.

The kid hardly played his first two seasons, and then he posted very similar per 36 #'s to his 2nd year's inflated per 36, against 1st tier competition, as oppossed to 3rd tier, after coming off of a serious injury abd playing in a less than ideal situation. Some of you obviously lied to yourselves about where he was in his progression, and then faulted him for not meeting and exceeding your ridiculous expectations.

He's on teack, but his development will take time. He has barely been coached.

He is not a great fit but would be an upgrade to what Kanter gives you. That's all it really boils down to. Kanter is a year away from getting a paycheck that could be double digits per year. He regressed last year.

Kanter can at least rebound and score in low post. Tomic is weird dude ( for 7'2 player) who won't work in NBA. Weak narrow body, short arms, does not block shots or rebound, does not stretch defenses as he has no range to 3pt....All he is good is midrange jumper and passing. How is that better than Kanter?

Please just let Kanter be traded to put an end to the maddening apologists.

Same can be said for maddening haters.

But in all seriousness, with the Tomic talk and the draft having us taking Vonleh that will give the Jazz Kanter, Favors, Gobert, Tomic, Evans and Vonleh at the 4 & 5. If that is the case I see 1 or 2 being moved.

Same can be said for maddening haters.

But in all seriousness, with the Tomic talk and the draft having us taking Vonleh that will give the Jazz Kanter, Favors, Gobert, Tomic, Evans and Vonleh at the 4 & 5. If that is the case I see 1 or 2 being moved.

Everyone said Marc Gasol would be a stiff in the NBA.

Everyone said Marc Gasol would be a stiff in the NBA.

Holy ****. I dont think it will happen, but what if Tomic comes over and is as good as Gasol? We would be pretty damn good with Favors, Hayward, Tomic and Burke. Pretty much would be the Grizzlies 2.0. And that is without adding our draft picks from this year.

Holy ****. I dont think it will happen, but what if Tomic comes over and is as good as Gasol? We would be pretty damn good with Favors, Hayward, Tomic and Burke. Pretty much would be the Grizzlies 2.0. And that is without adding our draft picks from this year.

And excluding Burks, Gobert and Kanter.

I've gotta admit as the draft nears, Im leaning more towards trading Kanter. Vermin's signature bothers the **** out of me, I have a hard time not believing RJ 100%, it seems to me like RJ is genuinely calling him out for something bizarre he hasn't seen in all of his years, its tough to connect any sort of agenda to that comment.

I truly believe Tomic is serviceable in the NBA, ive watch 3X more ACB action this year than i ever had, hes got some legitimate polish to his game, he will be able to get his shots off in the NBA, I trust him for 15 mins per game more than any of this years free agent centers, not named Monroe, Gortat or Hawes.

I'd say Tomic fits the mold of a guy you could start at center and play around 20 minutes or less, remember he was playing 40 minute games. his Per 40 #s are badass, around 20ppg, 11rebs, 3.5 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 2 years of ACB and Euroleague play.

No mention of alec? :-(
smd

Kanter makes 6 mil next year, i cant imagine teams will be lining up to trade their pick in the teens for him going into a contract year.

Tomic is good, but he won't start. Even though he is older, and heralded in europe, I don't think he is ready to play starter's minutes for a full 82. Last year, he only averaged 22mins a game on a schedule where they play like once a week, right? Now you want him to jump into 82 games w/ 30 something minutes a night? Not happening. I think we'd see him off the bench, w/ the occasional start depending on matchup. Favors & Tomic, and Kanter & Gobert, & Kanter & Favors. Those three frontcourt lineups offer some serious potential.
Agree.
Favors and Kanter start. When Tomic comes in, you have Favors play PF. Tomic can play around 20 mins initially, allowing Kanter and Enes to each play 30 and Gobert 15. If Tomic develops into an NBA starter, then the Jazz can trade Enes at the deadline or try for a S&T (provided he doesn't sign a new deal this summer). If Tomic isn't NBA quality, you let him go back to Europe if he wants or remain on the team as a backup.

That's nowhere close to Memphis' level of talent. Were you one of those 35+ win predictors last summer by chance?

Agree.
Favors and Kanter start. When Tomic comes in, you have Favors play PF. Tomic can play around 20 mins initially, allowing Kanter and Enes to each play 30 and Gobert 15. If Tomic develops into an NBA starter, then the Jazz can trade Enes at the deadline or try for a S&T (provided he doesn't sign a new deal this summer). If Tomic isn't NBA quality, you let him go back to Europe if he wants or remain on the team as a backup.

Kanter's already crying about minutes and says he doesn't care to play defense. Adding another big would plant an aerial firework so far up his *** that he'd try blowing the locker room up again when it lit off.

Best to trade the matador on draft day.

I've gotta admit as the draft nears, Im leaning more towards trading Kanter. Vermin's signature bothers the **** out of me, I have a hard time not believing RJ 100%, it seems to me like RJ is genuinely calling him out for something bizarre he hasn't seen in all of his years, its tough to connect any sort of agenda to that comment.

I truly believe Tomic is serviceable in the NBA, ive watch 3X more ACB action this year than i ever had, hes got some legitimate polish to his game, he will be able to get his shots off in the NBA, I trust him for 15 mins per game more than any of this years free agent centers, not named Monroe, Gortat or Hawes.

I'd say Tomic fits the mold of a guy you could start at center and play around 20 minutes or less, remember he was playing 40 minute games. his Per 40 #s are badass, around 20ppg, 11rebs, 3.5 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 2 years of ACB and Euroleague play.

There is a reason the team's D was ranked dead last. And it wasn't just Kanter... It seems to me that Favors effort on D is lacking as well. My question is why is Richard Jefferson such a little bitch that he has to go tattle on Kanter to the media that he thinks offense is more important? All that matters is if Kanter will try to improve and have an effort on D. I have definitely seen worse defenders in the league. I am hoping this year is a litmus test for every player on the team.

I'm not a huge fan of Snyder, but hopefully he helps our young guys improve on both sides of the ball.

That's nowhere close to Memphis' level of talent. Were you one of those 35+ win predictors last summer by chance?

I predicted 30-35 before the Burke injury.
Hayward's terrible season and the team just flat out quitting the last two months cost the team 5-10 wins. But that was a good thing. I'd much rather have the Jazz debating over Vonleh, Gordon and Smart than zeroing in on McDermott or Saric at #10.

I think I predicted 33. They probably would have gotten that had Burks not been injured. If we had a player as good as Gasol (I know Tomic probably will not be even half of that) and Burke can get close to Mike Conley's level of play, then we would have a pretty dang good team. It is a huge hypothetical though, because we have no one as good as Randolph or Gasol, and Burke is a long ways off from Conley. Hayward and Burks are probably better than Pondexter and Prince though.