What's new

Ante Tomic

Captain Keefe

Just watching the Nike World Basketball Festival and they just mentioned Ante Tomic. The announcer said, "He is the next Paul Gasol and his rights are owned by the Utah Jazz." I guess Tim Buckley mentioned this in an article last April, but it was really cool to hear the praise by a national announcer. Really excited about the Jazz current roster and the future.

Ideally, he will fill the center roll once Memo expires. Comparing him to Gasol is very premature although they do have some resemblences. Im interested to see how Splitter does with San Antonio, another highly touted big man that Tomic was about equal to during the Euro playoffs last year.

Very excited for Tomic. My only worry is that the new CBA may encourage more euro-stars to stay put. If salaries are cut substantially, they will.

Very excited for Tomic. My only worry is that the new CBA may encourage more euro-stars to stay put. If salaries are cut substantially, they will.
Maybe but the NBA is still the best league in the world and players (or at least the ones I'd want on the Jazz) will still want to test themselves to see how good they really can be.

Maybe but the NBA is still the best league in the world and players (or at least the ones I'd want on the Jazz) will still want to test themselves to see how good they really can be.

Even once a new CBA is in place there will still be more money to be made playing in the NBA than overseas (in most instances). $$$ > Proving themselves.

Even once a new CBA is in place there will still be more money to be made playing in the NBA than overseas (in most instances). $$$ > Proving themselves.

Also since he was a second round pick there is no rookie first round scale to pay him by. Splitter and Pekovic came over for about 3-4 million each so hopefully we dont have to go over the 4 million mark.

If anyone is expecting him to be the next Paul Gasol you will be probably be disappointed.

How often does the next (insert superstar) ever pan out? More often than that the people slated as the next whoever don't come close to those expectations.

I like this kid a lot, and do have hope for him. We've had so many failed center prospects through the years from Leckner, to Borchardt, Palmer, etc....
it's hard to believe anymore. This kid has more skill now than all of those guys though. I'm not expecting anything though. I am just enjoying watching his progress,
and I'm happy we own his rights. It's a no lose situation if you don't expect anything.

With the current CBA, plenty of role players can make more in Europe. A solid role player here is a star over there (Trajan Langdon anyone?), and their teams can offer them more. With a new CBA, we can only expect that owners will force salaries to decline, including role player salaries. While we will always have control over the big stars (LeBron, Howard, Wade, Kobe, Deron, etc.), playing in Europe is going to become more common for Americans with NBA talent.

Meh.

wake me up when he's actually here.

And even then, he'll probably sit a year or two having to prove himself to Jerry.

Yes, I am Mr. Positive today.