What's new

Antonin Scalia

Sad.

Wonder if Obama will be able to push thru a nomination in a republican house and senate. Expect a huge stalling game by the Rs in hopes that an R wins the 2016 presidency.

It's already happening on FB

I'm seeing three arguments.

1. joy he is dead and that Obama will get another liberal justice on the court to save it

2. Sadness he is dead as Obama will ruin the court with a liberal justice to take our freedoms

3. Predictions that a huge fight will break out and it will be long and ugly.

Major news. Probably the most conservative Justice.

His support of torture among other despicable opinions make it hard to be sad about his passing.

Sad.

Wonder if Obama will be able to push thru a nomination in a republican house and senate. Expect a huge stalling game by the Rs in hopes that an R wins the 2016 presidency.

I will take any bet that an R does not win the presidency this time around. That is the most pathetic dumpster fire I've ever seen.

You're probably right - and it will definitely backfire.

This will result in major talking points for Sanders and Clinton - not to mention paint the republicans in Congress as obstructionists.

They should have tried to do a "Weekend at Bernie's" things with Scalia until November - he'd probably still make a better jurist than Clarence Thomas.

Shame but the democrats have no one to blame but themselves - up until Bork almost every Supreme Court Nominee got a free pass.

Condolences to the Scalia family first off. Past that not too bummed to see him off the court - his takes on abortion/torture just don't gel with my world views real well.

Sri Srinivasan is the first name I'm hearing floated out for an Obama replacement, seems within the realm of possibility.

Condolences to the Scalia family first off. Past that not too bummed to see him off the court - his takes on abortion/torture just don't gel with my world views real well.

Sri Srinivasan is the first name I'm hearing floated out for an Obama replacement, seems within the realm of possibility.

Same. I can't think of a single civil rights issue that Scalia didn't stand against. I hope we get a centrist Justice.

You're probably right - and it will definitely backfire.

This will result in major talking points for Sanders and Clinton - not to mention paint the republicans in Congress as obstructionists.

They should have tried to do a "Weekend at Bernie's" things with Scalia until November - he'd probably still make a better jurist than Clarence Thomas.

Shame but the democrats have no one to blame but themselves - up until Bork almost every Supreme Court Nominee got a free pass.

I agree. All it does it play into a ever shrinking base while alienating anyone that would expand that base.

It'll be interesting to see what Clarence Thomas's opinions are like now - - he has almost always been in lockstep with Scalia. He may actually have to think for himself a bit. He'll probably turn even more conservative, if that's even possible.

Can somebody provide a "translation" for foreigners, why (and how) that person influenced the everyday life of the average US citizen? I read about him from the Wikipedia, but it was hard to understand.
Which person could be similar to him in Europe?

Here are some examples from another forum - that's why i asked if somebody can provide some background information why somebody is either happy or not.

Because things weren't nutty enough in Congress.

I don't celebrate death because undoubtedly somebody will miss him. But I will celebrate the silence of this windbag.

Same here, It looks like the Supreme Court could not wait for the next election. I hope Obama gets right on it, this should be interesting. I cannot wait.

Last edited:
Can somebody provide a "translation" for foreigners, why (and how) that person influenced the everyday life of the average US citizen? I read about him from the Wikipedia, but it was hard to understand.
Which person could be similar to him in Europe?

Here are some examples from another forum - that's why i asked if somebody can provide some background information why somebody is either happy or not.

Because things weren't nutty enough in Congress.

I don't celebrate death because undoubtedly somebody will miss him. But I will celebrate the silence of this windbag.

Same here, It looks like the Supreme Court could not wait for the next election. I hope Obama gets right on it, this should be interesting. I cannot wait.

He was one of nine Supreme Court justices. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the U.S. and has the power to strike down legislation passed by the congress and senate. They are the final say when it comes to what the U.S. Constitution means. If you don't like how the Supreme Court rules on an issue you pretty much need to pass an amendment to the Constitution (extraordinarily difficult) to get around their ruling.

The Supreme Court justices are appointed by the President but must be confirmed by the Senate. It's a bit of a spectacle and in the current climate the Senate (majority Republican) might try to block the nomination, or at least delay it until after the election. If a Republican is elected they will cancel the nomination and appoint their own choice.

The Supreme court has a 5-4 majority of conservative justices. Scalia was one of those conservative justices. This means that if Obama can get his nomination through it would be 5-4 in favor of the liberal leaning justices.

Supreme Court Justices serve for life. The only method for their removal is impeachment.

He was one of nine Supreme Court justices. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the U.S. and has the power to strike down legislation passed by the congress and senate. They are the final say when it comes to what the U.S. Constitution means. If you don't like how the Supreme Court rules on an issue you pretty much need to pass an amendment to the Constitution (extraordinarily difficult) to get around their ruling.

The Supreme Court justices are appointed by the President but must be confirmed by the Senate. It's a bit of a spectacle and in the current climate the Senate (majority Republican) might try to block the nomination, or at least delay it until after the election. If a Republican is elected they will cancel the nomination and appoint their own choice.

The Supreme court has a 5-4 majority of conservative justices. Scalia was one of those conservative justices. This means that if Obama can get his nomination through it would be 5-4 in favor of the liberal leaning justices.

Supreme Court Justices serve for life. The only method for their removal is impeachment.

Thank you for the information, Gameface.
1. Am i correct that those nine members are 100% independent after they are elected to Supreme Court? I.e if before election they were a la anti-gun and anti-gay, then after being elected they can change their mood/view to whatever they like?
2. How many times or how long can the Senate block a new member proposed by the President?
3. Legislation=new law? I.e am i correct that the Supreme Court does not have to care about if somebody complains about too long prison sentence etc.

Thank you for the information, Gameface.
1. Am i correct that those nine members are 100% independent after they are elected to Supreme Court? I.e if before election they were a la anti-gun and anti-gay, then after being elected they can change their mood/view to whatever they like?
2. How many times or how long can the Senate block a new member proposed by the President?
3. Legislation=new law? I.e am i correct that the Supreme Court does not have to care about if somebody complains about too long prison sentence etc.

1. Yes.

2. The longest they've delayed was about 4 months. But there is no limit to how long they can delay, and they can stall until next president is sworn in.

2. Yes. The Supreme Court generally deals with constitutional questions. They take on cases to determine whether a law is/isn't constitutional.