What's new

Anyone want to fight about CFP expansion?

checkbookdoc

If anyone reading this believes that expansion of the playoffs would not be beneficial to college football (including both P5 and G5 conferences), I would love to hear why.

I don't actually expect a response, because I don't think there is a single sensible reason.

The situation with UCF has made me salty about this topic. I use to love college football, but between the long-term medical issues and the stupid/corrupt playoff system, I am becoming disenfranchised.

It is so painful listening to idiots defend the stupid playoff/bowl system in college football. Why have they hung on to a bad system so tightly, making only the minimal changes they have been forced into? During the course of this argument I have gone from being a fanatic to hardly even caring. I guess that means they win.

College football is the last sport where the regular season actually matters. The CFP isn't perfect, but it's damn close.

But before we get there, let's talk BCS... In the entire BCS era, there was only one or two years where you could really be upset with the result. There were 5 undefeated teams one year and only 2 got to play. Think it was 2004. Sucked for Boise, Auburn and TCU, but it just was what it was. So in all those BCS years, only one or two years when they didn't get the best two teams in the title game or one team really had a beef for being slighted. Maybe some will cry for Utah, but they weren't one of the top two teams that year. The CFP would fix what failed Utah.

Now to the CFP. In my opinion, 4 teams is perfect as is. There are rarely 4 teams who actually deserve a shot at the title much less 8. 8 teams means big rivalry games like Bama/LSU and OSU/UM wouldn't matter because both those teams would be in regardless of the outcome. Also, there a ton of minor factors like fans cant afford travel to 3 games. You already see poor turnout for bowls. Players shouldn't have to endure 1 more week especially midyear. Etc.

I just think it needs tweaks to give teams like UCF a way in. As it stands now, UCF could be compared to an Oklahoma St or Ole Miss type team in terms of how good they actually are and where they would be in a big conference. For crying our loud, UCF gave up 33 points to Austin Peay last year and barely survived Memphis. However, they have been undefeated and deserve a chance. I would add some rule that if a team from a lower conference like UCF goes undefeated and miss the playoffs, they will be given a boost the next year if they are again undefeated. Something like they get to be placed above any two loss team. If you look at this year, they would have a really good shot if WSU, ND, OU slip up late.

Also in terms of changes, college football needs to eliminate one cupcake game from everybody's schedule. Every team plays a game they shouldn't play. Replace that game with a power 5 opponent. The NCAA could mandate that every power 5 team plays an additional home and away with an additional power 5 team on an 8 year cycle. So, for example, an SEC squad would add a home an away with an ACC, PAC, BIG10 and BIG12 on 8 year cycle.

One last little sidenote. Every conference should play 9 conference games. Some do, some play 8. If the schedules get slightly harder, more teams will have two losses so there would be a window of hope for a lower level team that doesn't currently exist.

The college football playoff is great. Its not perfect, but it's great. In baseball, they play 162 games. Losing 60 is a great year. In college, 68 teams get to dance, but basketball is a different animal. In college, one loss and you are gone. In pro, you got to win 4 best of 7 series. In the NFL, you can lose 7 season games and still make the playoffs. I just love how college football is unique from the other major sports. Don't ruin it.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
College football is the last sport where the regular season actually matters.
But the regular season doesn't matter sometimes. Certain teams can actually go undefeated and not even get into the playoffs.

If you are a team like UCF who plays a really weak schedule, you shouldn't be guaranteed anything. There are scenarios where multiple teams go undefeated and maybe one doesn't get in, but I would rather debate against one team missing out than expanding the playoffs for a highly unlikely scenario that happens very rarely.

Every game matters in the sense that you can't take games off. If you lose, it matters. How you lose matters like Ohio State's loss last year against Iowa.

8-team playoff.

Whatever, I ditched football a few years ago because it’s a factory for exploiting people and spitting out broken human beings. And the NCAA somehow found a way to make it even more ******.

If you are a team like UCF who plays a really weak schedule, you shouldn't be guaranteed anything.
Ya but its BS because what if they call up notre dame, alabama, clemson, etc and ask if they can play those tough teams to make their schedule stronger and those teams tell them to **** off?

True, but if you want to be a contender as a small team, you have to play power 5 opponents every time you dont have a conference game. UCF cant play teams like South Carolina State if they want to be considered for titles.

The American Athletic Conference is so weak that you cant afford to play terrible opponents. Even if they play a terrible Power 5 team like Kansas, Indiana, Rutgers, at least they would be trying.

I feel for UCF. I do. Its just tough. They have to play perfectly more than just being perfect. Even last year, they squeeked by really bad teams.

8 team playoff sounds about perfect.

5 P5 conference champions, 1 G5 conference champion (to appease all), 2 wild cards.

NY6 Bowls rotated among First Round & Semi-Finals: Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl.