What's new

Appropriate Age for a Gun?

I put a glock in my sons hands directly after he left the womb.

Hated mom that much for not taking care of things, I see.

Ha ha.

Libs need return fire on sarcasm.

Seriously, without anyone having the right or power to infringe, Darwin's laws will naturally work wonders, maybe in a million years babes will be born with assault rifle appendages and unerring instincts for social justice.

Pretty highly evolved at last. Yay.

I got a BB gun at eight and a one-day lesson on a colt 45 revolver at about 14. I'm more dangerous shooting off my mouth.

The info from that I posted from there was from the CDC. Other countries and their gun situations are very different.

Why are kids 32X more likely to commit suicide if there is an unlocked gun in their house then?

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from. From what I've read, there's a 10% less likely chance to commit suicide by gun if the guns are locked up. Regardless, my disagreement is not in the prevalence of suicide in the presence of guns. My disagreement is in caring about something that has such a small chance of affecting me.

What else could be the cause? Utah's rate has recently skyrocketed from 3 per 100,000 to 8.5 per 100,000. This obviously is not due to an 3x surge in gun ownership. The most likely cause is a Mormon culture combined with the public LGBT debate. A lot of LGBT have been killing themselves.

So again, getting back to the numbers (and if Utah suicides have the roughly 50% gun rate), Utah's rate of suicide by gun was about 1 in 70,000 youth prior to the most likely LGBT spike. I don't think I need to worry about teen suicide by gun at that rate.

Statistics show little to no risk of babies being around loaded guns. Would you let your baby play with a loaded handgun?

LOL I'd love to meet the person with the guts to perform those studies. That would take some balls.

If by loaded you mean loaded but not chambered then I wouldn't care if someone let their infant sleep with a gun.

I'm not hearing what the positives of an unlocked gun are. Do you not want a dangerous weapon that can kill locked because they might use it to do something heroic or learn a valuable lesson?

Developing responsible adults is a huge part of parenting. I also don't see how developing trust and respect don't help build confidence, something that can be a suicide deterrent.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from.

Here is the study that shows it is 32X more likely for a teenager in a home with an unlocked gun to commit suicide. That is in teens who have never shown signs of depression or any other mental illness.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2001.tb05808.x/abstract

There are plenty of others as well as common sense to know that houses without guns especially ones that kids dont have access to are not a part of the statistics for teenager gun suicide, since it is very difficult to get a gun. The vast majority of suicide attempts are people who had the thought and tried to act it out within 20 minutes or less. Other means are hard to come by in that amount of time and if they are they most likely fail and never try again.

Developing responsible adults is a huge part of parenting. I also don't see how developing trust and respect don't help build confidence, something that can be a suicide deterrent.

I agree that developing responsibility is important. I think showing an example of responsibility helps teach that. Responsible adults lock up their dangerous weapons along with many other things they do to be responsible. I would want a kid to learn that he should be responsible as well and lock up his guns when he is not using them. I am not arguing to not let them use the guns to go shooting or hunting. Confidence, trust respect are all great things but many kids with those things have committed suicide and died. Teens are quick to act and small things are detrimental to them even in the best kids with the best parenting.

You keep repeating several points so I want to emphasize that I am not disagreeing with much of what you are saying. My only angle is that suicide is a rare event, and as such, something I don't need to concern myself with very much. It there are troubling signs, sure...

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it's a pay to read article so I had to google. Here's a research publication that seemed to be unbiased & extremely inclusive for a survey-based study (the only way to study this subject).

https://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

Those persons with guns in the home, regardless of the type of gun, number of guns, or storage practice, were at significantly greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide and firearm suicide than those without guns in the home (table 5). There were no significant differences between those with only handguns in the home and those with only long guns or both handguns and long guns, those with two or more guns, and those having one gun in the household; and between those who stored one or more guns unlocked and those who stored all guns locked (table 6).

Table 6 has an increase factor of 1.0, meaning indistinguishable, no impact, non-factor between guns being locked up vs not.

This study also shows your 32x factor, but has it at 31.1x at 95% confidence interval. It's clear that presence of guns in America leads to increased suicide success rates.

I'm not surprised you would mention that. I disagree, though, unless by "gun control" you mean "everyone carries"; because I think that would be the case.

You don't think seeing the damage a real gun will do first hand would alter the gun related trajectory of a child? You're smarter than that dude.

Actually thinking that exposing a child to adult things will some how teach them to alter their gun related trajectory is not very smart. Children's brains are not even fully development at 5 years old. There is no way to know which way exposing a child to guns at an early age has to them being a responsible gun owner. The kid who killed all those children in Newtown CT used guns at an early age and that didn't seem to change his behavior.

Personally, I think there should be a age limit when it comes to children shooting a gun. What that age is I don't know but 5 is way too young. Would we allow a five year old to drive with adult supervision. You could teach your kid all the safety you want about guns but they do not have the cognitive ability to make sound decisions at that age.

Actually thinking that exposing a child to adult things will some how teach them to alter their gun related trajectory is not very smart. Children's brains are not even fully development at 5 years old. There is no way to know which way exposing a child to guns at an early age has to them being a responsible gun owner. The kid who killed all those children in Newtown CT used guns at an early age and that didn't seem to change his behavior.

Personally, I think there should be a age limit when it comes to children shooting a gun. What that age is I don't know but 5 is way too young. Would we allow a five year old to drive with adult supervision. You could teach your kid all the safety you want about guns but they do not have the cognitive ability to make sound decisions at that age.
Honest question: do you have young kids?

Honest question: do you have young kids?

The people that seem to have the strongest opinions about prudent and appropriate parenting are frequently not parents themselves.

I am not talking about cowhide, specifically. Just a general statement.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

My kids all learn to shoot as soon as they can hold the .22 up.

One day, I put a tarp over the fence and taped up clay pigeons to shoot at with airsoft and bb guns. Guns weren't a novelty to them so they preferred throwing clay pigeons at clay pigeons instead.